Will Vista+Dx10+NextGenGPU+NextGenCPU ignite PC gaming?

Several game developers we've spoken to have told GameSpot that they're still waiting to see DX10 reference cards.

I think we believed this to be true anyway, but it's always nice to confirm and reconfirm these things. . .

Hmm not so sure how to use the quiote function here, yes i should learn one day..

But i doubt we will see realistic waves even in the next 10 years.
The amount of processing power that is required to accurately model a wave is enourmous. I'm thinking an order of magnitude faster than a current CELL chip would be required just to simulate the water alone let alone any water accurate rendering...

nice idea though :)

Personally i'm hoping for a surfing game for the xb360 - i'm still playing transworld surf for the xbox1 :)

true dat. i take 'weird' pictures on vacations. (eg i stand in the ocean up to chest and take pictures of the water/waves (family on the beach) from that vantage point.)

my point is, that 'accurately' recreating all that is going on in waves would be difficult. if you took a close up of an ocean wave, you will see what i mean...waves within waves within waves within whorls...almost looks wrinkly in a photgraph (instant of time)

still i'd love to see even 'trick' surf. wouldn't take too much to just loop/script something with sufficient variation as to appear randomly creating it's waves? or is just displaying that too complex? they can do fire and smoke pretty good (on my x1900xtx) why not surf?

I think the long term prospects are that Vista will improve the PC gaming scene.
Nowadays the only real reason to buy a good 3d card is to play games. Recently there have been a few other reasons to get a high end card, but a lot of things will crystalize once "Vista-accelerating" cards in new PCs ship in volume.
Just as using PCs now for watching DVD and sub-HD level video is a big use of current PCs, Vista PCs will be used more for HD watching in the future - something that will benefit from a decent video card for smooth playback.
The OS itself will run best with modern 3d accelerated cards.
More and more PCs will have 3d accelerated cards as a result, making a larger potential gaming market. Whether gaming companies actually tap this immediately or not, the long term potential is undeniably there. Sure many of these accelerators only equate to mid or low end 3d performance, but its still a larger 3d market than today.

What is yearly turnover of the entire market in, say, US/EU? 25%? Less than that?

I'm just wondering what's a reasonable number to assume Vista has on, say, Jan 1, 2008.

If you build it they will come..:)

Their are no dx10 engines, or games. If these dx10 games are better than dx9 ones which they should be then people will adopt. The reason dx9 did not take off is it was not a big enough jump feature wise over 8. At some point the performance of modern dx9 cards started making people upgrade, and not really the feature set of dx9. Devs also did not target dx9 very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
seems like the don't have enough time to really milk it before it changes. isn't that damaging the industry, since they can't recoup their learning investment before it all changes again?

It's not really about the technology itself.

Good graphics requires really good art work; it is not easily solvable by just throwing more computing power at the problem.

A few cheesy effects won't get you anywhere if your textures, animations and models aren't well made.

Really good games don't even rely that heavily on graphics for their apeal. Yet we are apparently willing to extend their dead line several years just to get more polished graphics. Sometimes I think better hardware is more of a burden than a help.

Back