Will Consoles finally past PC games?

I did not read the whole thread but I think that consoles do have some advantages over PC this time.

1- our eyes, lets supose that KZ2 can and will be real time (they both say tthey can do it easly, ie as a standart), then if you had a PC game with 2X the detail, will we notice that? I really doubt we will, we would need much more than 2X the detail till notice the difference, and till we get that kind of power it would have been passed a lot of time.

2- their money, with rising costs from devlopment I think that only very few will dare to spend a lot more tome/money to add even something like 2-4X the detail, specially if it will not be noticed.

3- Those consoles CPU seems very strong and I doubt that will be surpassed anytime soon in the desktop area (but here of corse in a PC they may not be doingg physics and sound).

4-If we see the same, why spend 3-4k in a PC if we can spend 300 in a console, will be a very good reason for many.

I am not saying that PC will not be more powerfull, just people will see less and less reasons to upgrade it, all IMO.

Anyway I think that this should make live a lot harder for PC this time.

Many aspects being discussed here except the most important one: GAMES.

The PC will retain a share of the market aslong as there's people buying games for it.

The PC holds 99% the RTS / strategy genre. Games like warcraft3 or Civ3 simply don't work if you don't sit up close to the monitor with a keyboard + mouse in front of you.
PC is still FPS king. Aslong as there's hardcore players who prefer the superior keyboard+mouse setup, PCs got the edge here.
You cannot have a modding community on a console either.

So the obvious PC killer would be a console+keyboard+mouse+diskspace: a homecomputer. Yet the PC has killed all competitors except the apple, which barely manages to holds on to a tiny niche of desktop publishing.
The best thing was the amiga and it died because the popularity of the amiga500 held newer models back. Games had to work with the 500 to sell and the OCS was aging fast.

Somehow consumers would accept that the PC can and must be upgraded every once in a while, but not any other computer.
Part of the reason is that upgrading a PC could make a big difference for the games you already owned: some games would support the whole range: hercules, CGA, EGA, VGA/MCGA or PCspeaker, adlib, SB, MT32, MT32 + SB.

The PC holds 99% the RTS / strategy genre. Games like warcraft3 or Civ3 simply don't work if you don't sit up close to the monitor with a keyboard + mouse in front of you.
PC is still FPS king. Aslong as there's hardcore players who prefer the superior keyboard+mouse setup, PCs got the edge here.
You cannot have a modding community on a console either.

Well it's being rumored that the PS3 will allow keyboard and mouse support if the devs want it so there you go. And thanks to the Xbox FPS are now looking good to console owners.

Console GPU's faster than PC GPU's?

When pig's fly.

Do you know where all the next gen console GPU's are coming from? The PC market. Last gen only MSFT was using a PC based GPU. This next gen they ALL are using PC based GPU's. Why are they using PC based GPU's? Because they are faster than anything they could make or find elsewhere. Do you think it was easy for Sony to swallow its pride and ask for basically the G70 core from Nvidia? Why did Sony go with a PC based GPU? Because it had no other choice to remain competitive. They would literally get killed by Xbox360 and its ATI GPU. Do you guys know how small a market GPU's are for consoles versus PC's? Playstation2 was the biggest success of all the current gen consoles and it sold 80million units in 5 years...Nvidia sold 100million PC GPU chips in ONE year. Multiply that by 5 years and you got 500million PC GPUs versus 80million PS2 GPUs. PC's are where the money is at for ATI and NVidia. I dont see that changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
mckmas8808 said:
Well it's being rumored that the PS3 will allow keyboard and mouse support if the devs want it so there you go. And thanks to the Xbox FPS are now looking good to console owners.

Will console gamers buy those accesories for their console and will game devs support these devices?
Also consider that console gamers typically sit in a chair in front of their telly. I suppose a keyboard in your lap can work but where do you keep your mouse?
You'll want your mouse arm resting in a comfortable position and that requires a tall straight backed chair and a desk or a tall table in front of the screen.
I reckon for most people that would require moving the console and the screen to where the PC is usually at and that seems off to me. Can't see this becoming a popular thing.

Sandwich said:
Will console gamers buy those accesories for their console and will game devs support these devices?
Also consider that console gamers typically sit in a chair in front of their telly. I suppose a keyboard in your lap can work but where do you keep your mouse?
You'll want your mouse arm resting in a comfortable position and that requires a tall straight backed chair and a desk or a tall table in front of the screen.
I reckon for most people that would require moving the console and the screen to where the PC is usually at and that seems off to me. Can't see this becoming a popular thing.

It will only be as popular as people plugging an X360 to their PC monitor. Some people will do it, maybe "many". At least next gen consoles will run at more-or-less PC resolutions so playing on a PC monitor won't give us brain tumors like it happened with current gen.

Sandwich said:

Well some people do have tables, end tables, or folding trays in their houses so it's not impossible. But I don't know if cosole buyers are going to embrace it. I don't know if devs will support k/b for the PS3. We can only wait.

Well if they 'allow' the use of a kb/mouse for their online gaming, they will create a huge rift in the gaming comunity. RTS and FPS players would have a huge advantage with KB/Mouse. Until the consoles ship with KB/mouse, pcs will likely rule those genres.

Surely anyone that serious about FPS gaming will pick up a cheap USB keyboard/mouse combo (if not use their PC equipment) on their PS3.

AlphaWolf said:
Well if they 'allow' the use of a kb/mouse for their online gaming, they will create a huge rift in the gaming comunity. RTS and FPS players would have a huge advantage with KB/Mouse. Until the consoles ship with KB/mouse, pcs will likely rule those genres.

You're ASKING me to insert something about the revolution controller here, right ? ;)
(Revolution Controller might very well rule the FPS genre.)

PC : struggle with OS and drivers and stuff, install, wait, launch, set options, start, change options again, start... after a while, play !
Console : insert game disk, switch on, take a pad... play !

Ingenu said:
You're ASKING me to insert something about the revolution controller here, right ? ;)
(Revolution Controller might very well rule the FPS genre.)

With addons but I doubt it, it does have a lot more hope than PS3 and XBox360 controllers.

PC : struggle with OS and drivers and stuff, install, wait, launch, set options, start, change options again, start... after a while, play !
Console : insert game disk, switch on, take a pad...wait 5 minutes for game to load, play !

Fixed

Back