Will 3DMark07 be a popular benchmark tool?

Just wondering if 3DMark07 will make users to switch to vista just to play with new benchmark.

I know Microsoft is waiting so bad for DX10 title games in order to sell more vista copy's of OS.

Just wondering if 3DMark07 will make users to switch to vista just to play with new benchmark.

3DMark07 requires DX10. DX10 requires Windows Vista. Therefore 3DMark07 requires Windows Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:
3DMark07 requires DX10. DX10 requires Windows Vista. Therefore 3DMark07 requires Windows Vista.

You misunderstood me, all I meant what you just reply!
The question was will people spent their money on the vista-OS to play for short/long time with 3DMark07.

You misunderstood me, all I meant what you just reply!
The question was will people spent their money on the vista-OS to play for short/long time with 3DMark07.

Doh, so it was indeed. And no, I'd guess not that many will switch to Vista just to use the latest 3DMark. So the Vista requirement could very well make it a less popular benchmark at least at the beginning.

3DMark Next system requirements revealed

Say what you will about 3DMark's accuracy or viability as a synthetic gaming test, the application is still very widely used, and its merits with respect to strict graphics processor testing are evident. However, the latest version of the tool, 3DMark06, came out close to two years ago and lacks DirectX 10 effects being used by games today.

Futuremark is therefore working on a new version of the tool, which will drop the yearly naming scheme and go by "3DMark Next." As what might be considered a teaser for the new app, the company has released minimum system specifications for 3DMark Next in the Game-O-Meter section of its YouGamers website. Those minimum specs are as follows:

Processor: x86/x64 single core CPU with SSE2 support. Performance similar to Intel Pentium D 3.2GHz or better.
Display Card: Fully D3D10/SM4.0 compliant graphics card, 256MB
Memory: 1024MB
Free Disk Space: 2GB
Operating System: Windows Vista (Server editions not supported)

And Futuremark lists the following as recommended:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent AMD CPU.
Display Card: Fully D3D10/SM4.0 compliant graphics card, 512MB
Memory: 2048MB
Free Disk Space: 2GB
Operating System: Windows Vista (Server editions not supported)

As Futuremark announced back in April, 3DMark Next will say goodbye to DirectX 9-class graphics processors and Windows XP, supporting only the latest GeForce 8- and Radeon HD-series GPUs running on Vista. Processor and memory requirements seem to be quite steep, as well, with a Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent and 2GB of RAM recommended. Following Futuremark's custom, the upcoming benchmark will probably reflect the graphical capabilities of upcoming games more than those of already-released titles. http://www.techreport.com/news.x

Say what you will about 3DMark's accuracy or viability as a synthetic gaming test, the application is still very widely used
Of course it's still widely used. People want to see how well a card performs on 3DMark even though drivers are written to boost that score when it doesn't show up in actual games.
Lets hope the newer version is closer to how the card will handle the games.

I used to "play" 3DMark. Doing crazy stuff to my hardware trying to boost my score. Until I found out through PM's by cheaters how they were leaving me in the dust score wise on 3DMark 2001.

Of course it's still widely used. People want to see how well a card performs on 3DMark even though drivers are written to boost that score when it doesn't show up in actual games.
Lets hope the newer version is closer to how the card will handle the games.

I used to "play" 3DMark. Doing crazy stuff to my hardware trying to boost my score. Until I found out through PM's by cheaters how they were leaving me in the dust score wise on 3DMark 2001.

3DMark2001 was the last benchmark which used actual real game engine (Even "3DMark Engine" it was never used in real game)

*all newer 3DMark is crap! " In 3DMark05 Radeon HD2600PRO 650GPU/1100mem 128bit ----> scores higher then ATi Radeon X800XT 500GPU/1000mem 256bit

But cheating scores is not something new.

Last edited by a moderator:
*all newer 3DMark is crap! " In 3DMark05 Radeon HD2600PRO 650GPU/1100mem 128bit ----> scores higher then ATi Radeon X800XT 500GPU/1000mem 256bit

Thats more related to the fact that the HD2600 supports SM3 while th X800XT doesn't. That said, I wouldn;t have thought the HD2600 would be particularly slower than the X800XT anyway.

Very true:cool:
They may as well delay it a bit longer and make some tests for DX10.1.
And throw in a "run once" lock like rencent PCMark has, just for giggles :smile:.

No!! It will get released on Dec 31, 2007, I tell you!!

:LOL: It will be 3DMark07SE (Second Edition). Example like 3DMark2001 then 3DMark2001SE added SM1.4 support. :smile:

Back