Will 3DMark07 be a popular benchmark tool?

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Shtal, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Shtal

Veteran

We have heard that Futuremark's 3D Mark 07 will be fully Quad-Core Optimized, even in the Game Tests. Users will gain more frame rates with a Quad Core Processor even in graphics tests. Current beta version seem to indicate that there are 3 Games Tests. http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4358

I remember the days when MadOnion/FutureMark introduce 3DMark2001 based on DX8.0 API for future DirectX8.0 title games. It was solid good real popular benchmark that proved and - even used for some future game title releases. Since then later with 3DMark03/05/06 - in my opinion was pure synthetic based faulty not as good as 3DMark2001SE.

My question is will 3DMark07 utilize all 4 cores (Quad Cores), - that can show real/major difference's vs. 2 cores (dual core) when running some tests; and also by how much 3DMark07 can reflect for future game titles in real life.

I would like to add will you be able still run DX9 hardware (I heard it is only going to be DX10) people say we have already 3 versions of DX9-3DMark.

#1 Shtal, Dec 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  2. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

Seeing as 07 is a vista only benchmark, I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one dx10 only test.

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Why don't you post these questions at Futuremark's forums? They are the only ones who can answer them after all.

4. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Someone else said pretty much the exact same thing in another 3dmark07 thread just yesterday I believe.

The engine 3dMark01 was based on was never used in any game, and as someone previously pointed out, was pretty damn different to the version fo MaxFX used in the original Max Payne...

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

6. Demirug

Veteran

But at least it used a game engine. Today FutureMark tests are more written like graphics demos.

7. kyetech

Regular

Yes or:

At the very least, why didnt he post his question in the thread that has already been started in this forum just below this one?

seems silly to have two threads on something that no-one knows anything about!

8. Shtal

Veteran

To be honest truth I did not knew someone else already asked that question!
    And I did not paid attention if this type tread already exist!
    Sorry!

9. rwolf

rwolf Rock Star
    Regular

3DMark is a great product and has been a great tool to benchmark video cards. With DX10 arround the corner it will become even more important as there won't be any games for a while.

10. Ateo

Newcomer

Only if you consider comparing 3Dmark scores to each other.
    It tells nothing about real world in-game preformance at all.

Just look at how 3Dmark06 and the CPU score is misleading.
    No games n the market get such benefits from having dual/quad-core CPU's.
    And when(if?) they do 3Dmark06 won't be the 3Dmark being used to test preformance.

But I guess it's good for E-penis messuarment... :razz:

11. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Q: how many games will take advance of 4 CPU cores in the near future?

A: Perhaps a few, in a small way. What does it matter? There isn't that much they want to do with them in any case, as most of the consumers will only have a single CPU core anyway and it isn't cost-effective to spend the time and money on it. Scrap multiplayer as a start.

12. Shtal

Veteran

The only version I like of 3DMark was 2001SE. It had Game1 low detail test which take advantage of faster CPU; then Game1 High detail test which benefit from faster video card. - Same goes for Game 2 test and Game 3 test.

Since 3DMark07 also has 3 Game tests, it might have same approach as 2001SE.

The only thing it would be nice in 07 if 1 out of 3 tests had DX9-SM3.0 and other 2 would had DX10-SM4

#13 Shtal, Dec 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

What's so special about the number 3? Some of your deductions are really strange :???:

And why in God's name would another DX9 test be of any value at all? The DX9 card results would be worthless since they could not run the other two tests at all.

14. Shtal

Veteran

Game test 1 Low+High Detail was Car test.
    Game test 2 Low+High Detail was Dragon flying test.
    Game test 3 Low+High Detail was Max Payne gun test.
    Game test 4 was Nature Test

And for DX9-SM3 to include is because in my opinion 3DMark06 DX9 did not reflect any real world / reality of actual games.

15. Davros

Legend

"I remember the days when MadOnion/FutureMark introduce 3DMark2001 based on DX8.0 API for future DirectX8.0 title games."

nyone remember their first benchmark - final reality ?

16. no-X

Veteran

I don't think that 3DM01 was a good benchmarking tool. It was popular, but not very objective. GeForce = good score / Kyro II, Radeon, Voodoo 5 = low score (e.g. GF256 gives much better results than other mentioned boards, but majority of games runs much smoother on Radeon or Kyro II...). Anyway, 2001 was far more objective than 2000, which used strange combination of 16bit rendering and HW TnL :smile:

17. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

So what?

What makes you think 3dmark07 will be any different?

18. Shtal

Veteran

At least I will not hear negative responds from you :) (I don't like being wrong)

Example you said "Some of your deductions are really strange"

I don't! Just my own thoughts :)

#19 Shtal, Dec 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  19. Shtal

Veteran

You may be right! But not exactly I would agree with you :) (Take a look at the results with multi-core)

[What if FutureMark found a way to split work load 4-way tread to do its own calculation dependency (Example old Comanche 4 helicopter's single treaded CPU dependency game) I know its not 4-treaded "bad example" ]

#20 Shtal, Dec 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006