Wiimote used with X360

_xxx_

Banned
HardOCP posted this today, enjoy:

http://obsiv.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!948789BF56FAF394!177.entry

I (like many others) am a proud owner of a Wii60. Us Wii60 owners feel that we've got gaming all covered. Our Xbox 360 gives us top-class hard core online gaming in high definition. Our Wii gives us really unique gaming experiences because the Wiimote is like nothing else. But, what if we could get the best of the Xbox 360 and the best of the Wii, together, in a single game? I was curious, and the end result is my creation that I call Xbox 360 Input Machine (or, "XIM" for short).

That's a sweet bit of geeking there! Obviously not a practical solution as some comments seemed to hope, but a stellar testament to the ability of dedicated pro's to string different hardwares together in unconventional ways.

Lol, the PC wii-mote driver connected to a custom PS2 input converter connected to a conversion cable connected to ...

:D

It's cool, mind you, but for all that trouble you don't seem to have wii-pointing for shooting, which is really the only thing I'd want out of it. Also seems like you could do it the exact same way for the PS3 or the PS2 or whatever.

Still, it shows you at least some potential. But this configuration isn't really that much better from what the sixaxis does by default (sorry, had to say it ;) ).

For now, I'll wait for the GunCon3, thank you. ;)

It's cool, mind you, but for all that trouble you don't seem to have wii-pointing for shooting, which is really the only thing I'd want out of it.

He had to use the existing control scheme of the game and customize it. In this case, he used Halo 2. I don't remember Halo 2 supporting moving the cross-hair except in sniper mode. To support it in that instance he'd have to re-write the game.

Tommy McClain

He had to use the existing control scheme of the game and customize it. In this case, he used Halo 2. I don't remember Halo 2 supporting moving the cross-hair except in sniper mode. To support it in that instance he'd have to re-write the game.

Tommy McClain

I know. But still, it's linear now it seems, not sensitive to how much you move the wii-mote, but instead triggered by a threshold?

I know. But still, it's linear now it seems, not sensitive to how much you move the wii-mote, but instead triggered by a threshold?

The site is down so I can't double check, but I do believe it is sensitive to how much you move it. I remember him saying he implemented all kinds of algorithms for steadiness, etc.

Tommy McClain

It's cool, mind you, but for all that trouble you don't seem to have wii-pointing for shooting
Actually it didn't look from the vid that he did have Wii pointing for shooting. It seemed to work more like a mouse, with the button held down to 'put the mouse down on the table' and enable motion, and the movement of the Wiimote being a relative amount of motion. A few times he was seen 'picking up the mouse and moving it to the centre of the table when it had got to the edge and run out of space' if you know what I mean. Well, it would be Wii-pointing for shooting in a way, but not direct point+shoot. More mouse_move+shoot.

I think I remember someone doing something similar with the PS3 using Yellow Dog and some custom drivers for the Blue Tooth reciever.

People have been detecting Wiimote via Bluetooth, but this is the first I've heard of someone patching another game on another console to actually use it.

People have been detecting Wiimote via Bluetooth, but this is the first I've heard of someone patching another game on another console to actually use it.

Another console would be right, making PC games playable with it has been possible for a good while now actually. The impressive aspect of this setup is the translation from Xbox 360 to Wiimote. It is very impressive that he was able to make the transition so smooth and the steps needed along the way. I think this setup is actually very superior to the Xbox 360 controller one actually and what has been achieved is one of the best console modifications I've ever seen.

Well if I tried doing that, I recon with about 2 month of intense development time. So geeking or not, it's certainly a nice piece of work. Though I don't know of anything that would make me invest that much time and effort for such a gimmick. In this sense, kudos to the guy for the hard work regardless of one liking the thing or not.

Back