WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think backwards compatability was really a big concern because nintendo was thinking about the end user, but more for the developers. nintendo wanted a machine that was different, so that's what they made. but they needed a way to bait past developers to the system. having a machine that can run existing code, can be developed in a familiar development environment, and be ported from other popular consoles would make developing for the machine a no brainer for the first year or two because you can revive dead projects or port existing projects with little to no work except with the interface.

nintendo used a similar strategy with the DS. look at the GBA games that got ported over soon after the system launched. some japan only GBA games like pheonix wright turned into big hits on the DS with (relatively) little developer effort. licensed games were released on both platforms (GBA and DS) with little difference beyond a few touchscreen menus or extra 3D levels thrown in and made a quick holiday buck (star wars III and robots come to mind. they even sold at a premium on the DS).

look at the shovelware the DS got after launch, and look what Wii is getting right now. these are the titles developers/publishers will use to test the waters of Wii development. if they can use port an existing title over, learn a bit about the hardware, learn about the controller, then sell that software that they basicaly used as a learning tool at a profit, well that's a pretty big incentive to develope for the system.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. Fairly sad to realize, though. That Nintendo has been reduced to building hardware that teases devs with its simplicity in order to try to build marketshare. This when their competition is pushing the envelope of complexity to the furthest extent yet.

One would think that a DX9-era PC GPU, though, would be rather well known and understood. Not optimal for tossing left over Gamecube code onto though, for sure. There is probably some complex political issues with reusing some old PC GPU though, and obviously implementation of a GPU designed to interact with AGP/PCIe. So they would've been re-building the thing, unless they turned Wii into a mini PC like Xbox.

Which is where it's huge fillrate gets used. Loads of overdraw, adding different effects in different passes. Hardware that can do more per single pass doesn't need as much fillrate. If you could render every pixel in one pass, particles and all, you'd need something like 75 million pixels a second.

But that sounds too far form the truth aswell now doesn't it?

I didn't say that I thought Wii can produce "360 like graphics but with jaggies ect", so you'll have to ask the original poster that question. Personally I'll wait and see what the new games bring, if they end up looking a few times better then the best GC games I'll be happy.

What? I've seen plenty of games on SD (from last gen. even) that don't have jaggies.

Without excessive jaggies?, yes, without any noticable jaggies?, no. Again though I don't think that's the point. As I said it seems the guys point was that he thinks Wii will be able to produce 360 level (maybe not as good but up there) graphics quality but with SD imperfections such as jaggies ect. Obviously if it could produce 360 level graphics without such imperfections (either through pure resolution or anti aliasing) then we wouldn't even be discussing this in the first place since it would be pretty much as powerful as 360, which it isn't... if you see what I mean (nearly confused myself there :D).

Personally I'd be happy if Wii was 2-3 times more powerful than GC, but it has to be at least 2 times the fillrate and 2 times the geometry and 2 times the Gekko.

Here's another angle looking at the power of the Wii which I thought was interesting. Check out this video which demonstrates the controls of the Wii playing SSX Blur at about 1:45 and 2:00 minutes.
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/842/842200/vids_1.html

At one point you have to draw shapes to do certain tricks. I had assumed that you ould use the pointer to draw the shapes but if you watch the video it's actually motion sensing of the Wiimote and nunchuck that seems to be sensing the drawn shape. I never knew the motion sensing could translate shapes so precisely. The heart of one of the more basic shapes.

At one point you have to draw shapes to do certain tricks. I had assumed that you ould use the pointer to draw the shapes but if you watch the video it's actually motion sensing of the Wiimote and nunchuck that seems to be sensing the drawn shape. I never knew the motion sensing could translate shapes so precisely. The heart of one of the more basic shapes.

I haven't worked with it personally, but the Wii uses what Nintendo calls classifiers -- gestures interpreted through the sensors in the controllers. This is definitely possible without the pointer, but I'm not sure how accurate it really is. If it's anything like the SIXAXIS, I would say not very...

I haven't worked with it personally, but the Wii uses what Nintendo calls classifiers -- gestures interpreted through the sensors in the controllers. This is definitely possible without the pointer, but I'm not sure how accurate it really is. If it's anything like the SIXAXIS, I would say not very...

I suppose just drawing the general shape might be enough but that's even using the motion sensing in a way I would have never thought of especially for the nunchuck. Watch the video and look at the more complex shapes and see what you think.

"But not just that. We also then looked to the colour palette that we use: the Wii, coming from Nintendo, has got a really rich -lush, you know- colour spin."

This is talking about the Wii from the Heatseeker interview. Anyone know what he means by this?

"But not just that. We also then looked to the colour palette that we use: the Wii, coming from Nintendo, has got a really rich -lush, you know- colour spin."

This is talking about the Wii from the Heatseeker interview. Anyone know what he means by this?

I believe he's comparing it purely to the PS2 there. Nintendo games and systems are known for bright, overdone colors, whereas ps2 games are known for drab, gray looks. If his comment has any basis in hardware at all, it's only in comparison to the ps2.

I believe he's comparing it purely to the PS2 there. Nintendo games and systems are known for bright, overdone colors, whereas ps2 games are known for drab, gray looks. If his comment has any basis in hardware at all, it's only in comparison to the ps2.

Thansk but I mean technically hardware wise how does Nintendo make their systems output more "lush" colours? I never knew brightness or lushness was something done by the hardware. I thought it was developers choice.

Thansk but I mean technically hardware wise how does Nintendo make their systems output more "lush" colours? I never knew brightness or lushness was something done by the hardware. I thought it was developers choice.

Like I said, I doubt his comment had any basis in the hardware of the systems.
If it does, it's due to the Wii having more vram and S3TC texture compression so it's able to put out better textures than the ps2.

BTW, heatseeker doesn't look like anything great, but neither does just about anything on the wii right now. Compared to rayman raving rabbids, that looks fantastic.

Nein. Pics plz?

There have been several Ace Combat games on the PS2, each with tons of screens available at IGN. Really, when someone mentions a game, instead of expecting them to hunt down pics for you, you should just go to any gaming site and look at them yourself.

There have been several Ace Combat games on the PS2, each with tons of screens available at IGN. Really, when someone mentions a game, instead of expecting them to hunt down pics for you, you should just go to any gaming site and look at them yourself.

Is there any apparatus for measuring clock speed on a CPU/GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back