Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by TheAlSpark, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SargonHamurabi

Newcomer

The rumor is strikingly generic, but it gains credibility from being in-line with the other rumors....or that just means it's piggy-backing off their believeability. I'm not taking any of these seriously until somebody guts a Wii U or when people start naming anonymous sources.

2. Kb-Smoker

Regular

What are you going on about? He is a dev, he didn't leak anything just confirm it was correct.

3. Rangers

Legend

Yep, it's the same thing as the old specs floating about for months, even less detailed!

Apparently "Arkam", another familiar name from GAF, says the "new" Vgleaks specs are from him and even the wording is his. Just he claims he did not himself give them to Vgleaks, somebody else betrayed him so to speak. Also worth noting he admits he is only an artist or something like that, not a tech guy.

For what it's worth he seems more bullish on Wii U in his newest comments. Maybe it does have a 500+ gflop GPU.

He also said something weird here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42009722&postcount=1400

4. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Could be Broadway compatible (for Wii backward compatibility), or could also be a confusion around an embedded Broadway core...
    Hard to tell given that the Wii was just a NGC on steroïd, and before it Nintendo never did backward compatibility.

5. TheLump

Regular Newcomer

Thats rather intriguing. I do hope he gets round to clarifying what he means.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

So an artist wrote to someone "three enhanced Broadway cores" and that got posted verbatim on VGLeaks. I think it safe to say that's not at all specific. Would I be right in thinking POWER7 is code compatible with previous POWER and PPC code, and so Broadway code would run on it?

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Lol wut. That's a patently ridiculous claim.

Regardless of your silly dodging antics, wii specs were known at the time of its launch.

8. TheLump

Regular Newcomer

I beleive so. Theres certainly an intention from IBM to make it as easy to use previous code on Power7 without recompiling it - from what I've read.

And if not, wouldnt that not just be down to the compiler (in this cas the Green-Hills one WiiU is using)

9. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

If that can be confirmed, it'd explain how someone could consider it an upgraded Broadway. "It runs the same code, ergo, it's the same processor made better." An artist being shown Wii U running Wii source could easily think that, and in way wouldn't be wrong. i7 is effectively an improved 286 as man is an improved (debatable!) monkey.

10. sebbbi

Veteran

No. According to Wikipedia both Broadway and Gekko are based on ancient PowerPC 750 core (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_7xx, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_(microprocessor)). Derivations of this core were used on some old Apple Macintosh computers (years 1997-1999). It had weak FPU and no SIMD (vector instruction) support at all. Apple Macintosh G4 (1999) was the first one to use modern PowerPC cores with proper vector execution support (Altivec/VMX).

Instead of 4d vector SIMD, PowerPC 750 core derivatives (such as Gekko and Broadway) support 2d "paired single" execution for floating point values (two 32 bit floats can be packed in 64 bit float and executed at once). This feature is no longer available in new PowerPC instruction sets (Altivec/VMX is superior). I found this thread about emulating Gekko (on modern PPC/POWER derivate such as PS3): http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/11771/1362/ . "Paired singles" must be emulated, because the new PPC/POWER cores do not support them. The speed of emulation seems to be "three orders of magnitude slower" according to them. But I don't know what other features need to be emulated as well (that seems to be way too slow for just paired singles emulation).

11. Li Mu Bai

Regular

Its been known for some time that the Wii U GPU was DX 10.1 equivalent. Although there is some functionality within the GPU due to Nintendo's customizations that allow for DX11 type effects. (due to developer urgings iirc) Enhanced Broadway cores? Unlikely for many reasons imo. The CPU is by no means a monster processor, not as capable as the Xenon in some respects, though surpassing it in others. I stated as much months ago. I've been unable to obtain specifications however, but enhanced Broadway is far too vague. Iherre is a reliable source imo.

This is would be the most logical assumption.

#2231 Li Mu Bai, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Would the compiler produce suitable alternatives when compiling the source, as opposed to trying to run precompiled PPC750 code?

13. Sonic

Sonic Senior Member
    Veteran

Someone please alert me when actual system specifications and actual processors being used are revealed, not these half specs.

14. Megadrive1988

Veteran

I have a question.

I notice in the neogaf thread about the final Wii U specs, that several people have stated that Wii's Broadway CPU has more cache than Gamecube's Gekko. Is that true?

As I understood, and I very well may be mistaken, Broadway was merely a 50% overclocked Gekko.

15. Sonic

Sonic Senior Member
    Veteran

It's a possibility, and any Wii dev here should be able to confirm or deny that depending on how strong Nintendo's NDA's are. But it seems that there is not extra cache on the Wii CPU and maybe they were thinking of the GPU having more cache?

16. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I'm curious, what has Nintendo customized?

17. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

I'm surprised some artist even knew the word Broadway, which probably means he was reiterating what he was told or what he read.
    Someone calling anything an enhanced Broadway over almost any other way of describing a PowerPC processor to my mind is not positive.

18. XpiderMX

Veteran

2.5x minimum, 4.5x maximum.

19. Rangers

Legend

Here we go with the MASSIVE overrating again...

All that and Zombie U looks like a bad THQ 360 game right?

20. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

There is an awful lot of speculation in that quote.
    To start with why pick 5 IPC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.