Wii U hardware discussion and investigation *rename

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now all we need is clocks, shader counts, and memory speed.
And architecture. We don't really know what "improved Broadway" means. There's also be hell to pay at IBM for their POWER7 comments if Wii U is an overclocked tricore Broadway. :devilish:

Well, I consider it pretty amazing that a CPU supports 'fully coherent cores' (a term normally applied to caches and not cores) and something called 'write gatherer per core' to sound impressive. The term "write gatherer" doesn't even exist on Google prior to 2012.

Write gather is something you find in Gamecube documentation from 2001. Cache locking and DMA are there as well. It's almost like someone just read the same .pdf and decided to run with it.

I'm totes calling this as nonsense.

Well, I consider it pretty amazing that a CPU supports 'fully coherent cores' (a term normally applied to caches and not cores) and something called 'write gatherer per core' to sound impressive. The term "write gatherer" doesn't even exist on Google prior to 2012.

Write gather is something you find in Gamecube documentation from 2001. Cache locking and DMA are there as well. It's almost like someone just read the same .pdf and decided to run with it.

I'm totes calling this as nonsense.

But arent you the guy who says it doesn't matter? :p

But arent you the guy who says it doesn't matter? :p

Ahem, I wouldn't quite go that far. It's more accurate to say that I'm not worried about its GPU performance.

Part of the reason is because I was recently forced to go back from my HD6850 to my old 320mb 8800GTS without particularly suffering for it (aside from the memory size). I fired up Crysis 2 for kicks and found it more playable at 720p than I thought it would be. In 3D Vision, no less. And I'm frankly hard pushed to tell the difference outside of the resolution drop.

herre is a very known developer, he leaked the Wii specs.

Is he? I googled 'lherre wii specs' prior to 2007 and got 5 results. None concerning the Wii.

I fully admit that I may well be wrong but the Internet has taught me a lot of lies. Like what women want.

Also, a further historical googling of reliable Wii developer sources brought me to these on Ars Technica:
A Factor 5 employee who goes by the name "Han Solo" claims to know the Revolution's specs, and has leaked them (middle of page 3). Why listen to some guy trapped in 1977? Señor Solo, as I'm sure he's known to his Spanish-speaking friends, proved worth listening to when he nearly nailed the Xbox 360 stats before the official details came out. That said, we can't treat this as reliable information, but it may prove to be good fodder for a Friday evening console war. Or maybe, just maybe, Nintento and Sony fans will join hands and sing songs about the merits of a market with more than one player.

The brains of the console are rumored to be a single dual-threaded IBM "custom" PowerPC 2.5 GHz CPU, with 256 KB L1 cache and 1 MB of L2 cache (L3 cache is rumored). The system will also sport a Physical Processing Chip (PPU) with 32MB of dedicated RAM, while the CPU itself will saddled up next to 512MB of system RAM. The custom ATI GPU solution is rumored to consist of a RN520 600MHz core, backed with 256MB of RAM and "32 parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines." While the output will theoretically be capable of putting out 1080p resolution (higher even, at 2048x1268), Solo says that HD support has not yet been decided (which fits with Nintendo's own comments).

and these on Eurogamer:

The specifications, which appeared on blog site Nintendo Centrium, suggest that the system will be powered by two 1.8Ghz IBM PowerPC G5 processors, a 600Mhz graphics chip from ATI and a 7.1 Digital Sound chipset.

The console will apparently sport 128MB of high speed 1T SRAM as main memory, along with 256MB of slower DRAM, while the graphics chip has 12MB of on-board high speed RAM. 6GB proprietary DVD-size discs, designed by Panasonic, would be used for Revolution's games.

According to Nintendo Centrium, the spec originated from a programmer currently contracted to work for Nintendo on a DS project.

Is he? I googled 'lherre wii specs' prior to 2007 and got 5 results. None concerning the Wii.

I fully admit that I may well be wrong but the Internet has taught me a lot of lies. Like what women want.

10 May 2007:

Broadway: Unidad PowerPC realizada con tecnología 90nm SOI CMOS (20% menos consumo que en NGC).
Desarrollada y fabricada conjuntamente por Nintendo e IBM.
Velocidad: 729MHz, 243MHz FSB, 64 bit (1.9 GB/s max. ancho de banda)
Caché: 64 KB de nivel 1 (32 KB I/32 KB D), 8-way associative. 256 KB de nivel 2, 2-way associative

Hollywood: Es un sistema LSI (circuito integrado) fabricado por NEC Electronics que incluye:
- La GPU (Procesador mezclado CMOS eDRAM 90nm, desarrollado conjuntamente con ATI). Su velocidad es de 243MHz y posee 3MB eDRAM para caché de imagen
- Memoria principal interna de 24 MB 1T S-RAM de MoSys @ 486 MHz. 3.9GB/s con Hollywood
- Chip de sonido
- Puente de Entrada/Salida por BroadOn

Memoria externa: 64MB GDDR3 @ 500MHz. 4GB/S

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_specs-definitivas-de-wii_763689_s250?hilit=specs

Also, a further historical googling of reliable Wii developer sources brought me to these on Ars Technica:

and these on Eurogamer:

Posting a litany of incorrect rumors doesnt prove anything! Most rumors turn out false especially early on.

You'll also note those rumors have a common theme, they suggest Nintendo hardware is much more powerful than it actually turned out to be.

Posting a litany of incorrect rumors doesnt prove anything! Most rumors turn out false especially early on.

You'll also note those rumors have a common theme, they suggest Nintendo hardware is much more powerful than it actually turned out to be.

Certainly. But they're both quoted as from 'reliable sources'. Developers, in fact.

Sort of like we're seeing here but with 2001 specs.

Wha? No, they weren't. Here's one prior to release (dated September 2006 by Google) that nails it to a tee.

Right, IGN was the first to nail the specs, too much denial I would add...

Also while the above is true, I wouldn't be surprised if IGN didn't edit in those specs later, given it's nature as a database page. Even Matt Cassamasina's first correct Wii specs had some errors and were not so specific I believe while being mainly correct.

Right, IGN was the first to nail the specs, too much denial I would add...

Eh? That was just the first hit on Google. The only point is that was from before 2007. Which means that this lherre doesn't hold credit for it.

Even the text itself suggests that it was written before the Wii was released. Being on IGN is wholly irrelevant and doesn't suggest that they are the actual source of the specification. Whether it was edited later is admittedly open to speculation but that's how it comes up on Google. Which suggests the time when it was indexed.

Edit: You can also google "729 MHz IBM PowerPC "Broadway" CPU" from before 2007 and you'll find a bucketload of hits. Including a dated one on NeoGAF here. Either way, lherre is not the source so why should I believe him now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh? That was just the first hit on Google. The only point is that was from before 2007. Which means that this lherre doesn't hold credit for it.

Even the text itself suggests that it was written before the Wii was released. Being on IGN is wholly irrelevant and doesn't suggest that they are the actual source of the specification. Whether it was edited later is admittedly open to speculation but that's how it comes up on Google. Which suggests the time when it was indexed.

Apparently you were not around the internet then LOL. I was.

The first guy to really out the Wii as essentially an overclocked GameCube was IGN's Matt Cassamasina, on IGN. A shitstorm ensued...much weeping and denial.

Being that is meant as an archival reference, and the spot on detail, I am pretty sure those Wii particular IGN specs could be edited in later. I could be wrong though.

Some google Fu yielded me this, I believe it was the fundamental article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/03/30/revolutions-horsepower

As I recall it the above link was the one that set the internet ablaze at the time. I could also be wrong but i believe it was the first credible leak about Wii specs, we were guessing before then. And there were a lot of people touting that the Revolution would be quite beefy. Similar to how it is with the Wii U today.

Like I said, I fully admit that I could be wrong. What I am saying is that, if this lherre is trying to take credit for the Wii specs, then I don't trust him as a Wii U source for a single second.

And when I see a rumor claiming that a decade old 'cache locking' 'write gathering' wannabe technobabble makes the CPU seem impressive then it's like saying that the PS4 supporting 3DNow! would make it seem impressive. It makes entire rumor suspect.

Matt had the developer docs when he leaked the Wii specs, there was still huge denial and a lot of "those were just early specs" comments.
A lot of people couldn't believe how relatively underpowered it was.
People believe what they want, I know at least some accurate information has been posted in this thread, and some of it subsequently shouted down and ignored by various people because it doesn't align with what they want to be true.

I don't know for sure, but the leaked specs look reasonable to me, and align with the few specific items I do know from reliable sources.
Now what statements like enhanced broadway mean, I have no idea, but to me even using that term doesn't bode well for powerful processor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back