Wii Speak authentication-code limited to one console.

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Nintendo's Wii Speak microphone peripheral is coming with a one-use activation code, making use of the communications channel dependent on the purchase of a new peripheral. This means you can't lend the device to someone to try, or go round a mate's house and share your peripheral for the evening. This also makes the resale value practical nil.

I hope Nintendo aren't exploiting their position of ascendancy to the detriment of consumers. Why are they doing this? Is there an expensive licensing deal going on here where Nintendo have to pay for each console running software supplied for the Wii Speak service? Or are they just being mean?

Really Nintendo? Is there anything else you would like to restrict on your console or make insanely difficult to do?

Seems just part of a growing move to attack used sales. As Epic's Mike Capps recently controversially mentioned making game endings DLC.

Seems just part of a growing move to attack used sales. As Epic's Mike Capps recently controversially mentioned making game endings DLC.

But this is hardware. They don't want us to sell hardware, either? I suppose next step is to put a one-use code in a console.

But this is hardware. They don't want us to sell hardware, either? I suppose next step is to put a one-use code in a console.
Yes, if they'll do it with a peripheral, why not a console? I guess at this point, because the console would have to go online to use the code, and we know a lot of console owners aren't online. As Wii Speak only works online, the option of online 'validation' exists. Also how would you lock a console to a person? Would the code link to a telephone line? Wii Speak could be sold on as bundled with the Wii.

Back