Wii controller -- second thoughts

I think giving developers options\freedom to do more whether it be with graphics, sound or control can't be a bad thing but I do feel simular to some of the skeptics in this thread. I'll wait and try it b4 I pass final judgement.

xbdestroya said:
Anyway I think it's a 'cool' idea;
On the McLuhan scale, it is a 'hot' idea.

Participants in this forum, one could predict, tend to take a cool, analytical, objective approach to gaming. But you'll recognize that exercising skill and control is not the only way to have fun.

xbdestroya said:
Well if you acknowledge you were defending it against 'skeptics,' then you already know you're not the first to come to this realization. ;)

Anyway I think it's a 'cool' idea; like many GameCube games at the moment, I think it's greatest utility will be in party/group settings though.

Beyond that, frankly I just think motion-induced gameplay will grow tiring into the second... third... fourth hour of gaming...

You have 2, 3, and 4 hours to game? Good lord where do you get the time.....

I thought about the strain factor of the Wii controls today as well after playing SMT: DDS2 for 8 hours. However, I don't think the types of games that will require most movement on Wii (ie. party games, sports, etc) will be played in such long stretches for it to become an issue. And for RPGs (if the Wii will even get some?) the Wiimote will most likely only be used in minigames...

Magnum PI said:
on one side i think this controller will be terrific for some games.

one the other side i'm afraid to see some kind of extremely simplified gameplay which could be too limited. some sort of interactivity which doesn't require any real skill, you think you are an actor but you're only a puppet.

and some regression: games which would have been better on a classic gamepad that will instead play with the magic wand..

all in all i guess i think if i choose to go the wii route i'll just have to avoid some games..

So you're thinking the games will come out like the initial cd based games, or arcade style on rails shooters?

How I feel is that anybody with a room temperature IQ can see that PS3 is not only absurd, it's insulting. That's why I think people will buy a Wii. They want to actually try something with their money. You gotta admit that their is a little satisfaction in flipping off sony and using your extra cash for a Wii and 360 instead of a PS3.

I'm just ranting now but the point is that people don't see Wii as a messiah, it has no message yet. It just has a lot of potential for it's gameplay.....sorry for the rant but I honestly expect Sony hate to be a major selling point for the Wii.

I wouldn't say that because there's no reason to assume there's any sort of Sony hate at all.

Where did this come from?

If anything, you can blame the poor Xbox sales on MS hate because that is something that might actually exist.

I'll leave my opinion open on the wii and the wiimote, until I get to actually use one. I will say that I'm leaning towards the category of 'Uhh.. yeah, this'll be fun occasionally but not something I want to play for a couple of hours every day', and the fact that a 'standard' controller is pretty much a necessity for the Wii only cements that position.

But, I won't pass final judgment until I get to actually use one myself and I think anybody who forms any sort of opinion on the matter with any degree of certainity without actually having used the remote is only demonstrating their bias.

And I mean that in a bidrectional manner. For or opposed, if you haven't actually used it, all you are doing by casting judgments is demonstrating bias.

Yeah, I actually prefer a 360. It just seems more useful. I'm saying that the biggest problem with PS3 is going to be the comfort factor. Will the maniac fans be happier buying a Wii and a 360 because of this, probably but I honestly have hate for sony making a system that expensive. It's so...unorthodox for a videogame system.

nintenho said:
Yeah, I actually prefer a 360. It just seems more useful. I'm saying that the biggest problem with PS3 is going to be the comfort factor. Will the maniac fans be happier buying a Wii and a 360 because of this, probably but I honestly have hate for sony making a system that expensive. It's so...unorthodox for a videogame system.
What comfort factor do you mean? Long loading times and noisier drives? :p

BTW, when do you think will Nintendo release the next system after Wii?

one said:
What comfort factor do you mean? Long loading times and noisier drives? :p

BTW, when do you think will Nintendo release the next system after Wii?
the price....oh, you were being sarcastic. I guess the next system will come in 2012-13. Wii might be a handheld?

I'll got the opposite way and say games have become to complicated. I don't want to have to remember 15 button combinations to hit an opponent or open a door etc...

I like the simplified gameplay of the Wii.

And I am a hardcore gamer, who grew up with an NES - > present day.

It's gotten a little ridiculous, you need way too much free time to play games nowadays.

Back