wierd problem

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
When I minimize programs sometimes windows will sort of lockup.
I can see my hdd is still being accessed (torrenting.) but the display doesn't change and windows beeps at me if I press the mouse buttons a bunch of times.
This happens both in winxp and winxp X64.

This only happens when your running a torrent?

Some torrent apps are known for memory leaks and stuff of that nature. Not exactly shure what it could be.

BlueTsunami said:
This only happens when your running a torrent?

Some torrent apps are known for memory leaks and stuff of that nature. Not exactly shure what it could be.
No.
I added torrent as in it's writing and reading data to the disk.

It happens stock and I ran P95 for a day even though I only have it clocked to 2.4 ghz.
The wierd thing is that music I have playing continues playing.

Probably explorer.exe that's hung. Try bringing up the task manager and killing the process (you will loose part of the gui) and then restart it through file->new task (run)->explorer.exe (brings back gui but some icons in the systray may disappear/start flashing).
I've had it happen occasionally and then mostly when trying to play movies (often mounted through daemon tools for example). I recommend you reboot it to sort out problems with the systray.

maaoouud said:
Probably explorer.exe that's hung. Try bringing up the task manager and killing the process (you will loose part of the gui) and then restart it through file->new task (run)->explorer.exe (brings back gui but some icons in the systray may disappear/start flashing).
I've had it happen occasionally and then mostly when trying to play movies (often mounted through daemon tools for example). I recommend you reboot it to sort out problems with the systray.
Can't.
It's effectly frozen.
I can move the mouse and that's it, untill I start clicking mouse buttons, then the curser no longer moves.
As I said it happened on both OSes.. win32 and win64.

Thats fricken weird.....it HAS to be a Hardware issue if its happening between two different OS's.

radeonic2 said:
Can't.
It's effectly frozen.
I can move the mouse and that's it, untill I start clicking mouse buttons, then the curser no longer moves.
As I said it happened on both OSes.. win32 and win64.
This exact same thing happened to me not long ago, but only when I ran two different games. I chocked it up to overclocking, adjusted some settings and it hasn't happened again yet, but it is weird if you're running stock.

karlotta said:
can u hook your mouse to the PS2 ?
It's not a mouse problem, its that windows freezes.
I just said the mouse works (untill I click) and that music continues to play to suggest it might not be a hardware lockup.

It may be a video card problem, most if not all have hardware mouse cursors by now.
What happens when you press keys at random, do they have any effect? Maybe trying Win+R then typing "cmd"+Enter and the Alt+Enter you can get to a full screen console? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, try doing it while it's still working)

Another thing to try would be to logging in through remote desktop to check if everything is still running. You could really tell it's the video card or its drivers if it did work.

t0y said:
It may be a video card problem, most if not all have hardware mouse cursors by now.
What happens when you press keys at random, do they have any effect? Maybe trying Win+R then typing "cmd"+Enter and the Alt+Enter you can get to a full screen console? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, try doing it while it's still working)

Another thing to try would be to logging in through remote desktop to check if everything is still running. You could really tell it's the video card or its drivers if it did work.
Well pressing ctrl alt del does nothing but ill try that next time it happens, and remote controling the pc.
update- I can ping it but I can remote control it, just gives me a blank screen.
Oh and the play list for my media player doesn't advance.. it just stops once the track it's playing is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you look at the event logs? Really, most of the time they do show what is causing problems. Much better than just guessing.

Back