Why does the ipad 3 have better resolution than even $600 monitors ?

This reminds me of a funny little device my friend bought nearly 10 years ago :)
It's a Sony notebook, but it's very small. Its display is only 6.4", but @ 1024x768, that makes it ~ 200 dpi. Unfortunately, Windows XP does not support high DPI properly (nor is 1024x768 enough for anything like that). Of course, it's very expensive. IIRC he paid around NT$50k for that. I think that's more than US$1,500.

Speaking of color gamut, I recently found that my iPad 2's display is more close to sRGB than my iPhone 4 (my iPhone 4 is a little bit "yellowish"). Then I found that some (but not all) iPad 3 also has this "yellow-tint" problem. It's too bad that Apple doesn't support color management in iOS. Personally I think if Apple don't want to support color management in iOS for whatever reason, it's their duty to make sure all their devices look roughly the same under its device color profile. I mean, Apple used to be popular in desktop publishing market, this is something I expect them to do well.

Anyway, I'm still eager to buy an iPad 3, but I'll wait for its official release here. Maybe some little bugs will get fixed. :)

While some might actually have a yellow tint problem, a lot are simply not used to seeing warmer/calibrated displays and thus are complaining. You have to be careful in assessing the problem.

As someone who likes properly calibrated displays, I'm very happy to see Apple do such a good job with image quality out of the box.

Now of if we could g the rest of the CE industry (esp TV's) to start marketing displays with proper calibration vs vivid/dynamic/retard mode.

1. try the THX website (or google it)
2. hmmm you dont understand, ok up to now & previously since DPI is typically ~95 to get better resolutions you had to buy a larger monitor. Now Im asking say DPI is infinite i.e. remove it from the equation, what is the ideal monitor size?
THX guidelines are meant for an "immersive cinematic experience", not for programming. Even with infinite dpi you can only fit so much readable information in a certain area. I much prefer moving my eyes to having to scroll.

It can charge from the mains, the chargers output is 5.1V 2.1A. What they could have done were increasing the ampere but then it wouldn't be able to charge via a high power USB port.

Are you going to be using it for more than 9 hours a day that it can provide before running out of juice?

Just buy it and don't look back. I'm using mine as I used my iPad and iPad 2. Use it in the day, charge over-night.

I pulled the trigger yesterday after borrowing the test iPad 2 from work for an evening. Man, the display is outright spectacular! It is really amazing. We were watching some of our photos together on it yesterday and they looked the best they have ever done, on print or display. The quality is just shocking ... Looking at some photos with trees on them, individual leaves really stand out for staying visible so clearly. Text is razor sharp. Sketchbook Pro, which is pretty amazing, gives very convincing drawings. It's really lovely. And yeah, the battery holds up very well. After 6 hours of use I was at 50% and it managed to charge fine while in use. What helps is that the screen really has no business being at more than 50% brightness. Really amazing device and screen.

I pulled the trigger yesterday after borrowing the test iPad 2 from work for an evening. Man, the display is outright spectacular! It is really amazing. We were watching some of our photos together on it yesterday and they looked the best they have ever done, on print or display. The quality is just shocking ... Looking at some photos with trees on them, individual leaves really stand out for staying visible so clearly. Text is razor sharp. Sketchbook Pro, which is pretty amazing, gives very convincing drawings. It's really lovely. And yeah, the battery holds up very well. After 6 hours of use I was at 50% and it managed to charge fine while in use. What helps is that the screen really has no business being at more than 50% brightness. Really amazing device and screen.

Glad you finally jumped the fence! And yeah, that screen ... funny how everyone uses words as amazing and spectacular but there really is no other way to describe it. It's marvelous heh.

It really helps that it has nearly 95% sRGB color gamut too, especially for photos and to check color corrected pictures for web use.

You should really try out Paper by ex-Microsoft people (video here).

It really is!

I tried Paper, and it looks great, though not quite sure it will be useful for anything for me. I do love the undo 'dial' - that should become a standard, works fantastic, and the overal look is also pretty amazing. Would also make for some stunning children's book opportunities ... I could even imagine something like a design your own pop-out book app in this style.

I just for the heck of it tried to hook up my Logitech DiNovo Edge that I've had lying around mostly to control my PS3, and that works just fine! Now suddenly this thing is almost a complete mobile laptop. ;) Sure, the keboard is almost twice the surface of the iPad, but when I do want to use something more than just the screen for typing I'm happy to have the real deal right there. ;) Funny how stuff like selecting text and such also works great. It just takes a little mental adjustment to touch your screen instead of reaching for your mouse. :)

Back