Why did Squaresoft even bother to hold a conference?

:devilish: :(

I´m angry right now. Why is that? Well, Squaresoft fans around the world were truly looking forward to Square´s 2002 conference, where we expected to hear groundbreaking info, some sort of impressive announcement, in a phrase, something of major importance.

What do we get instead? A little bit of information regarding FFX2, 10 screenshots of it, and that´s about it. I repeat, why did Squaresoft even bother to hold this conference? All it did was get the hopes of the hordes of Squaresoft fans like myself up, only to have them shattered with only a few screenshots, some demos and no real announcements (we knew about the FFX spinoffs for a long time).

I´ve been trying to understand why nothing really new was shown It´s probably because showing FFXII (or any other major, epic game) right now would steal the spotlight from FFX2, however, if that´s the case, once again, why did Squaesoft even bother to hold a conference? :devilish:

To reuse the code and art assets that took 3 years to make. Its about time, actually, it's a huge cost for Square to liquidate everything when a new FF game comes around.

And they held the conference to raise awareness among investors. XenGamers had a story saying their stock was up 20% that day, but I cant find it :(

zurich

Well, that may be the case, but from a gamer´s perspective, what they did show was dissapointing. No FFXII, no Chrono Break, no Parasite Eve 3. :(

All this anticipation for nothing.

What they wanted to convey to their investors is that FF-X2 is going to make a lot of money (2.5mil units they said). It wouldnt be wise of Square to throw other titles into the mix to water this down.

I agree, more Square is good, but I didn't expect anything from this conference.

zurich

Will Square ever make a FF spinoff involving female characters from the game wearing swinsuits, like Tecmo's DOAX, as a, as the Japanese call it, "saabisu" to the fans of FF?

MrSingh said:
it was a conference targeted at analysts and investors.

not gamers or the gaming press.

I know that. However, if you remember Konami uses meetings with investors to confirm their upcoming titles. The most recent one (that I know of) confirmed the existence of SH3, ZOE 2 and MGS:S.

I guess I shouldn´t have expected much. Oh well, I´m still very much looking forward to the unveiling of Chrono Break and FFXII.

In any case, cest la vie. :)

Logan Leonhart said:
I guess I shouldn´t have expected much. Oh well, I´m still very much looking forward to the unveiling of Chrono Break and FFXII.

In any case, cest la vie. :)

At least they explained some details about FF: Crystal Chronicles. E.g.: 4 Player Mode, GBA usage, etc.

Yeah, I forgot about that too. Although for some reason, I´m not that interested in CC, I really don´t know why. Still, it´s good to have some new screenshots and details.

CC really shouldnt have the FF name attached to it, the art direction is waaaay out there from previous FF games. Sounds like an easy way to sell units and appease N to me.

zurich

I don´t think CC should really have the FF moniker attached to it, or at least from what I know it shouldn´t. It doesn´t seem to have the style or atmosphere FFs have (the key word is "seem", I´m only speculating). Again, more information about the game would be appreciated.

Back