Who Copied Who? *purge*

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBRU

Regular
sure is a shrink to slim size of ps4pro at 7nm... Interesting is that Xbox X hardware can easly run PS4 os and games ... (but not the ps4 pro laking the FP16x2)

sure is a shrink to slim size of ps4pro at 7nm... Interesting is that Xbox X hardware can easly run PS4 os and games ... (but not the ps4 pro laking the FP16x2)

What? The PS4 Pro is the one that has FP16*2. The Xbox X on the other hand, does not have it...

What? The PS4 Pro is the one that has FP16*2. The Xbox X on the other hand, does not have it...

Thats exactly what he said. He said how the xbox hardware is close to ps4 hardware, but how the 4pro has RPM (fp16) that the xbox hardware does not.

yea... Xbox X is actually a beefed up vanilla PS4... I'm sure Sony is analizing it really deeply and maybe has one with ps4 OS running on it

yea... Xbox X is actually a beefed up vanilla PS4... I'm sure Sony is analizing it really deeply and maybe has one with ps4 OS running on it
Yes, the unified memory architecture, the up side down motherboard, the quite clean layout of components, cooling by air pressure and internal power supply in order to have an overall more elegant box...We could say Microsoft have shamelessly copied what worked on PS4.

But even compared to base PS4 Xbox X still lacks the 8 ACEs and compared to Pro it lacks a few more hardware features: RPM, ID buffers and two more exotic stuff. Microsoft have chosen the brute force way, while Pro way is more about finesse and being cheaper.

It's almost as if both are 99% AMD designed SoC, with small diferences in features and clocking. Leading to a different price and release date. :yep2:

Pro's additional features, target cost, and earlier launch (and maybe agressive pass/fail?) seem to cost them on power efficiency and clocking ability.

MS target performance and efficiency cost them a lack of fp16, higher BOM, and launch a year later.

I see no bad choices either way. (technologically)

Last edited:
But even compared to base PS4 Xbox X still lacks the 8 ACEs
How much of an impact does that really make? I can run Folding@Home and Diablo 3 at the same time and not even notice an impact on the game on my old AMD Hawaii boards, and those two were clearly never designed to coexist cleanly, like a console game would be built. Hawaii has what, 2 ACEs? 4? I'm unsure, but I believe Vega 10 has 4. Do you REALLY need 8 for some legit purpose? I mean, really? It's from what I understand just some kind of command priority system/input queue, having 8 of them doesn't actually increase processing power.

Thats exactly what he said. He said how the xbox hardware is close to ps4 hardware, but how the 4pro has RPM (fp16) that the xbox hardware does not.

I can see that now, thanks. But the lack of punctuation induced me in error. I though he was saying that PS4 Pro was not able to play Xbox One X games because of lack of FP16*2.

To further my point:

When he uses the I naturally read it as the console and not the PS4 Pro games.

Last edited:
Yes, the unified memory architecture, the up side down motherboard, the quite clean layout of components, cooling by air pressure and internal power supply in order to have an overall more elegant box...We could say Microsoft have shamelessly copied what worked on PS4.

... but MS had UMA long before Sony?

But even compared to base PS4 Xbox X still lacks the 8 ACEs and compared to Pro it lacks a few more hardware features: RPM, ID buffers and two more exotic stuff. Microsoft have chosen the brute force way, while Pro way is more about finesse and being cheaper.

Brute force - where the X1X has higher perf/Watt, higher IPC on the CPU, lower latency memory access, and 3 x the number of memory channels to increase real world throughput compared to theoretical.

Brute forcing their way to most efficient console. Those bastards.

Brute force - where the X1X has higher perf/Watt, higher IPC on the CPU, lower latency memory access, and 3 x the number of memory channels to increase real world throughput compared to theoretical.

Oh, come now. There's no denying that Microsoft have taken the PS4 and dialed everything up to 11.

Much like Sony should have done.

Maybe so, but none of those shortcomings have manifested in games, which consistently run at a higher resolution and a more stable framerate on the X1X.

I have to disagree with the PS4Pro being about finesse. IMO it was only about being cheaper.

Its cheap nature and consequent lack of power forces developers to get clever with how to reach a near-4K resolution, and that should pay off come the launch of the PS5, when less power should be wasted on brute forcing native 4K.

So I can see where you're coming from with your finesse argument, but both Sony and Microsoft are using established, profitable platforms to transition to 4K, rather than trying to do so at the start of a new generation, which means they're each going to develop their tools for 4K content, each with their own finesse.

Microsoft are just doing so with a more powerful box.

And simulated performance of the chip leveraging existing game code and profiled said games at 4K, making tweaks to the hardware to improve performance at those profile levels before burning their silicon.

Continually customized the command processors to support DX12 at a native level to reduce overhead on translation, and continued to improve their customized excuteIndirect hardware.

Those brute force bastards... anyone could have done this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back