• Sony Playstation 2

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • Microsoft Xbox 360

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
Sony's current generation Playstation 2 or Microsoft's new generation Xbox 360?

Indeed, before thinking of the battle with the Playstation 3, can they defeat the current king of the hill?

Last edited by a moderator:
seeing that ps3 will mostly be out only in japan for 3/4 of 2006 and 1/4 of the year in use/europe, i say 360

the real battle is 2007

I'm going to have to quess PS2, it is still getting strong support from Sony and maybe a price cut when PS3 arrives.

edit:dukmahsik the poll was about PS2! vs X360.

Dr Evil said:
I'm going to have to quess PS2, it is still getting strong support from Sony and maybe a price cut when PS3 arrives.

edit:dukmahsik the poll was about PS2! vs X360.

oh woops, then it'll prob be ps2 still :D

I don't think the PS2 will keep up with the Xbox360 in the year 2006. Not because it couldn't due to lack of popularity but due to the PS3 releasing. The Xbox360 will probably sell 6-8 million worldwide in 2006, almost all of them in the US so I don't see the PS2 reaching those numbers so late in its life and with the PS3 coming out in Spring 2006.

Mendel said:
Sony's current generation Playstation 2 or Microsoft's new generation Xbox 360?

Indeed, before thinking of the battle with the Playstation 3, can they defeat the current king of the hill?
DS and Revolution

thats a biased poll though.

weaksauce said:
I'd guess ps2 will lead the first half of the year over 360. But overall I think 360 will sell more.
Thats my guess.

I wonder how the ps1 did the year the Dreamcast came out.

Hmmm, well, PS2 has already hit 100million and is past critical mass, on the other hand, its still got more life in it, no yield issues and is in full momentum in its cycle (vs. PSOne 9year cycle). I think it will definitely outsell the Xbox360, probably even all the next-gen consoles combined.

Nicked said:
Hmmm, well, PS2 has already hit 100million and is past critical mass, on the other hand, its still got more life in it, no yield issues and is in full momentum in its cycle (vs. PSOne 9year cycle). I think it will definitely outsell the Xbox360, probably even all the next-gen consoles combined.
I dunno, I think 2006 is pretty much PS2's last big year, It really just depends on the titles it can have going year long till xmas. Ofcourse some people will buy it regardless of new titles, and just play the old library, but new titles would help against next gen hype.

Bad_Boy said:
I dunno, I think 2006 is pretty much PS2's last big year, It really just depends on the titles it can have going year long till xmas. Ofcourse some people will buy it regardless of new titles, and just play the old library, but new titles would help against next gen hype.
Well it already has a stellar 2006 library, and I think a pricedrop to $99 is very likely, that would result is a surge in sales. Even if it drops in sales by 50% (unlikely w/pricedrop IMO) YoY, it still has a good chance of beating X360 sales. Next-gen hype is going to cool down demand (especially since GC and Xbox are both dead), but budget gamers will lap up the PS2.

With a drop to $50 or so, PS2 may even see good 2007 sales.

The PS2 has more big games coming out for it in 2006 and it should be $99 sometime next year. I think this is an unfair question for the Xbox 360. Supply issues are hurting them in NA and EU. And we know in Japan it's just a sad what numbers they are putting up.

I think the question isn't fair but I would put $100 that the PS2 outsells it.

Which big PS2 games are coming?

If Sony expects big PS2 sales, then they definitely won't play up the PS3 at CES would they?

Also, I would think they'd want to position PS3 as the hot must-have item for Xmas 2006. Most of the sales happen during the Holidays so it's not inconceivable that PS3 could have high sales, if they have a good supply stream going.

PS2 has many units still to sell, and that $99 pricepoint is still looming. PS2 should easily outsell both 360 and PS3. Not combined, but it should handily beat both individually. IMO, the move to look out for is the DS, which is posting absolutely ridiculous sales right now. I don't think there are any special titles for the PS2, besides FF12, but the machine is still priced too high. A price drop will allow Sony to keep its sales strong without impacting the PS3 launch. They'll have a $99 PS2, a $200-250 PSP and a $300-450 PS3 on tap. They'll have the major pricepoints covered well enough. PEACE.

Back