Which animation software can.......

tim987

Newcomer
Which animation software/s can create a movie like Shrek with all those cartoon characters?

Which animation software/s can do those effects that they have on the CSI tv show where they show a bullet going into someone's body and showing inside of the body.

Which animation software/s can I use to have a music video that looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfCmYyG-yg4

You see how the video is very colorful and smooth and has an airbrush effect and their faces don't have any pimples. I'm not sure if the animation software can do this or if i would need a certain type of camera.

I'd imagine Shrek was done with a variety of different animation tools, and maybe an in-house proprietary render.

If you really want answers to your questions then your best option is to head over to cgtalk.com

That site is where people in the CG world discuss different programs and other things that have everything to do with CG. It is the best option for you considering you're talking about animation, movies, and music videos. The answers to your questions might even be answered already.

I'm not promoting the site by any means, but if you're looking for answers and people specific to the industry then go there. It's far more focused on the art side of things.

i hope you not under the impression its run the software, click a few things and hey presto - its a lot of hard work....

PDI, which created Shrek, mostly uses its own proprietary software (like its own Fluid Animation System) for its animated movies. However, for some elements it also took advantage of some of the powerhouse animation programs available to the public. This is particularly true with Maya, which PDI used for most of its dynamic cloth animation and for the hair of Fiona and Farquaad. Photoshop was also used quite a bit in the art department. There was also a touch of Softimage used in the movie. But most of the software used was PDI exclusive, created by its research and development team.

There are many great options for creating 3D animations. The two I have considered are Maya and Blender. I have not thoroughly tested Maya yet but from what I understand it has a full feature set of tools that make routine tasks simple. It is usually found in many studios that produce feature animations. The biggest hurdle for me is the cost. At $1500 for a yearly subscription, I prefer to stick with Blender.

Blender is a full feature set of tools for developing production quality 3D animations. there is a lot of community support for Blender and many training videos on Youtube. There are some complexities to Blender but nothing you can’t overcome. the best part about Blender is there is no cost. It is completely free and open source.

For sculpting or texturing , drawing tablet is indispensable. Its about both precision and the pressure levels. I use a 24inch XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro drawing tablet monitor both at work and at home for modeling and animation (combined with a 3d mouse).

Back