Where's the content????

How about becoming an affiliate withAmazon.com, or NewEgg (as mentioned above)...

3dxgi> The thought was that people who dislike Intellitext could get rid of them by paying a small subscription.
Though another option that I noticed on another board I used to frequent was that you'd get IntelliText ads when viewing as unregistered, but they disappear when you log in/register. That way whenever you get the great influx of guests because of links, as An0nym0us complained about, they'd generate income :) That would probably be a better solution all around...

The problem is that the majority of our audience isn't in the USA (Google Analytics says as much); it is obviously the single largest country, but anything that everyone would see but only USA visitors could use might not be very pratical. Could always add country-based detection I guess... Sadly the only trans-european NewEgg equivalent I can think of is Komplett, and I don't think they have an affiliate program.

Heh, Alexa is a piece of shit... :( Neither even ranks in the Top 25 according to Google Analytics.

3dxgi> The thought was that people who dislike Intellitext could get rid of them by paying a small subscription.
Though another option that I noticed on another board I used to frequent was that you'd get IntelliText ads when viewing as unregistered, but they disappear when you log in/register. That way whenever you get the great influx of guests because of links, as An0nym0us complained about, they'd generate income :) That would probably be a better solution all around...
By that argument why not use pop under ads as well? I wouldn't use either on a site I run. Though I only try to make enough money to cover hosting costs so I've never been tempted to join the dark side.

BACK OFF!!! :oops:

These things can take some time sometimes I'm learning, and real life just doesn't always allow you the luxury of doing what you want instead of the things you need to do.

(Me says feeling incredibly guilty about not having an RV770 review up at EB yet. :oops: )

where's the rv770 article? My god guys I swear you need to hire new writers. The near total lack of content is going to cost you tons of hits.
I think the problem is the site doesn't generate enough money to hire a writer. At least not a full time writer. My personal thought with no data to back it up is if the review isn't up within a few days of a product launch it's already missed out on a significant number of hits and the best thing to do is make sure the late review brings something to the table other reviews missed.

The thing is though I'm sure there are people out there willing to write these articles for free. Or at least contribute. I mean a lot of us spend x hours each day reading about 3D hardware/software as it is... it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for us to write some articles.... and maybe if b3d actually got articles out on launch then it would have enough $$ to actually hire one or two full time writers.

Yeah. By post-count alone, you'd think the Finns would be in the top 5...

Ouh, before your comment I hadn't realized that we Finns really seem to like this site: http://www.google.com/trends?q=beyond3d :)

But anyway, I'm ok with it if B3D introduces a subscriber account (for example 15$ / year) and buying it allows you to get rid of the adverts and have more private mail storage and something like that. But I don't like the idea of buying premium content.

Maybe you guys could start selling Beyond3D t-shirts? Quite many sites seems to do that so I suppose it's somewhat profitable.

I think the problem is the site doesn't generate enough money to hire a writer. At least not a full time writer. My personal thought with no data to back it up is if the review isn't up within a few days of a product launch it's already missed out on a significant number of hits and the best thing to do is make sure the late review brings something to the table other reviews missed.

Precisely. Especially for high profile launches like GT200 and RV770. I know I've visited a number of sites at least a dozen times re-reading articles or getting benchmark results to support discussions etc.

In this case the chicken must come before the egg. Getting quality articles out on launch day would help a lot. But the thing is that the type of analysis I would like to see out of B3D is above and beyond the vanilla intro + benchmark + conclusion template the vast majority of sites use. The downside there is that it takes more time and effort to put it all together and the target audience is considerably smaller.

When Ratchet came to the site I thought we would at least get some quality mainstream reviews at B3D to attract the popular crowd but that never materialized for whatever reason. The architectural analysis pieces are a very good start but there's a lot of potential left on the table.

I guess the thing that really bothers me is that it seems B3D is going downhill. The forums are still as good as ever but back in the day we got a lot more content.

But isn't hexus providing money or manpower to get things ticking over? I thought there was a tie up when it was first announced and b3d would become the graphics arm of hexus???

But isn't hexus providing money or manpower to get things ticking over? I thought there was a tie up when it was first announced and b3d would become the graphics arm of hexus???

The relationship with Hexus has been terminated for quite a while now. E.g.: the links to Hexus from Beyond3d and vice versa have been removed.

The relationship with Hexus has been terminated for quite a while now. E.g.: the links to Hexus from Beyond3d and vice versa have been removed.

I'm obviously a bit behind3d at the moment. Pardon the pun.

I would guess the lack of input and that is connected then with Rys having to do otherthings to make ends meet :(

Yep, Beyond3D is not profitable, not enough for Rys to do it full time, even though, it would likely be possible from a workside point of view (ie there's enough to cover to need someone full time)

I'm surprised I'm the only person upset about this situation. Does anybody else want to see more B3D articles? I do. Seriously Rys or whoever find some writers or this site will turn into a set of forums within 2 years.

Back