What's uh, happening?

Quitch

Veteran
Haven't been keeping up with things for a year and a half now, but I thought maybe it was time to get back on the wagon.

Last time I even checked in nVidia had out a new set of cards (7xxx) and ATI didn't, so it was nVidia or you weren't in charge of a God box.

Whats, uh, happened since then? :)

LOL. You are a Beyond3D forum member and the ATI Radeon X1000 series launch just passed right by without you noticing?

*wooosh*

Well, you just missed the most hyped hardware release ever... Radeon X1800XT aka R520 aka R400 aka "it's too powerful to release on the masses!" (oh no!! Keep it away from me!) is out. :smile:

The story goes that it is a fine piece of hardware, but not something to get too excited about, especially nothing to change your fan shirt over. ;)

So, yeah, total chaos! You have missed total chaos! You should bring the wife next time. It's crazy in here. :p

Sorry, not marriage.

Damnit, I stayed long enough for the incredibly boring X800 to 7xxx period, then go and miss the fanboi ravings! :)

How far back should I be reading to catch all of that then?

Please tell me you are joking. I see your name all the time around here when I read threads. It's the sig, you see. Nobody can miss that one (and laugh a little. btw the link no longer works).

Am I going crazy or am I imagining that you post here all the time and definitely have not been away for 18 months?

Oh, and any thread with R520 or X1800 in the title (some without) will do. Just be sure to be forceful and proclaim outlandish things in them. Nobody wants to hear a sensible analysis of the situation. It's "death to the heretic!" :p (gratuitously stolen from another thread about WH:40K you posted in).

This thread seems to be a favorite. Not only is it perfect by the trolling nature of its title, but it's Hellbinder's own reversal of stance. One can either view it as reality hitting him in the face, that he is trolling for laughs, or that he is completely and utterly bananas. Have your pick, it's lovely in there.

I've been away for 18 months in so far as I post the odd post and don't read every thread - on what I consider the major forums - anymore. I haven't been reading the reviews and I haven't been following the tech. I've popped into the game forum now and then :) In other words, I have dropped by now and then but I have no idea WTF is going on... okay, I suspect 10 months is actually closer to the mark :)

Guess I need a new sig... falling back to previous sig ;)

Ah yes, I saw that (though mainly due to my visiting ArsTechnica). Sounds like people were a bit meh, but the comments I saw here suggested it compared favourably to SLI in the 6xxx gen, but that it had arrived a bit late for that. Sounds like it should be a little improved the next time it comes out, though with the 1xxx around maybe its already happened?

Quitch said:
Ah yes, I saw that (though mainly due to my visiting ArsTechnica). Sounds like people were a bit meh, but the comments I saw here suggested it compared favourably to SLI in the 6xxx gen, but that it had arrived a bit late for that. Sounds like it should be a little improved the next time it comes out, though with the 1xxx around maybe its already happened?

well, yes.. the biggest gripe (max resolution.) has been solved on x1k so that should leave the favourable performance...

Favourable enough to be worth the money though? I'll have to check.

When did the X1xxx launch? When did the hype start? I've got some back reading to do :)

Anything new on the nVidia side?

Quitch said:
Favourable enough to be worth the money though? I'll have to check.

When did the X1xxx launch? When did the hype start? I've got some back reading to do :)

No graphics card is worth the money two months later.

x1k launch, october 5th... the hype started in november 2004 when the first tapeout was a fact and people had "reliable sources" indicating a 32 pipe monster.. it's a shame most of those speculative threads (50+ pages with ease) got locked or deleted.

nV? 6150 integrated chipset comming.. and now we have to wait if nV will release an "ultra" (which they say they wouldn't) or launch something fresh to go against the R580 (which is allready named "R520 done right" ) (free after ati's SM3.0 done right slogan.)

Anyway, no one is sure about anything from nv right now, will they play it with their drivers, will they release low end 7x00 series cards quickly, will they launch an r520 beater next month (when the XT becomes available.) .. it's a fun game.. and it's basically been a great guessing game since march...

Quitch said:

nV already stated they're about to release the 512MB version of the 7800GTX, but noone knows if it will be on the same process or smaller (thus no idea about clockspeed/heat). Other than that, we're still in the dark.

_xxx_ said:
nV already stated they're about to release the 512MB version of the 7800GTX, but noone knows if it will be on the same process or smaller (thus no idea about clockspeed/heat). Other than that, we're still in the dark.

Hmm.. what about they ClawHMMer project? did they only use a 256mb gtx and 512mb 6800ULTRA or is there a chance that they allready worked with the 512mb gtx.. that is offcourse, unless that project is really completely finished..

neliz said:
No graphics card is worth the money two months later.

x1k launch, october 5th... the hype started in november 2004 when the first tapeout was a fact and people had "reliable sources" indicating a 32 pipe monster.. it's a shame most of those speculative threads (50+ pages with ease) got locked or deleted.

Why?

first question: prices drop, it's not smart to be an early adopter, unless you're a lucky one to be able to buy flashable pro vivo's so you can have cheap xt-pe's at home and at your friends...

second question: flaming?

Quitch said:
Sorry, not marriage.

Damnit, I stayed long enough for the incredibly boring X800 to 7xxx period, then go and miss the fanboi ravings! :)

How far back should I be reading to catch all of that then?

Oh, just sort the 3D Tech forum by "views" and you should be able to catch up quickly! Not more than 20 hrs reading or so!

And I'll personally apologize in advance for how much of that will be my inanities. :p

Back