What's the inverse of a square root?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Can someone please shed some light on this question?
Thanks, I'm sure my point will come out when some bright spark sees it.

What pisses me off is that I decided to buy a book today on shading(Orange Book) and it mentioned that the inverse square root function is accelerated.

OH FUCK! :LOL:

Last year I made the same mistake, twice, never again. :)

inverse function of sqrt(x) = x
multiplicative inverse of sqrt(x) = 1/sqrt(x)

I might be wrong with english gramatic, but if you talk about a inverse <funtion f> in german, you mean the function g so that g(f(x)) = x.

Edit: Huh? wheres xxx`s post? Dont run away if I talk to you!

sqrt(9999.99) = 1/sqrt(9999.99)
sqrt(9999.99)^2 = 1
9999.99 = 1?

inverse function of sqrt(x) = x
multiplicative inverse of sqrt(x) = 1/sqrt(x)

I might be wrong with english gramatic, but if you talk about a inverse <funtion f> in german, you mean the function g so that g(f(x)) = x.

Edit: Huh? wheres xxx`s post? Dont run away if I talk to you!

Garbage in, garbage out. The first statement is wrong:

sqrt(9999.99) != 1/sqrt(9999.99)

therefore everything else that follows is wrong.

Now, .99999999999999999999999..... = 1 is true, but that's another story.

I didn't come up with that statement. I just replaced the value of 'x' with my grandmother, err I mean '9999.99'.

Garbage in, garbage out. The first statement is wrong:

sqrt(9999.99) != 1/sqrt(9999.99)

therefore everything else that follows is wrong.

Now, .99999999999999999999999..... = 1 is true, but that's another story.

I didn't come up with that statement. I just replaced the value of 'x' with my grandmother, err I mean '9999.99'.
You must have a very short attention span if you leave out the first half of a statement that is less than 30 characters in length.

I don't actually know what the inverse of a square root is but I believe Greg Walsh should at least be grateful to Mr Toor Erauqs.

Dunno I would think that the inverse of x is 1/x, so the inverse of sqrt(x) is 1/sqrt(x).
(Never too sure when it comes to english wording of maths, but in french it's definetly that.)

This makes sense since there's a RSQRT "ASM" instruction...
(Reciprocal SQuareRooT)

(BTW, noticed there are 2 FastInvSqrt articles on Beyond3D ? ;p)

Dunno I would think that the inverse of x is 1/x, so the inverse of sqrt(x) is 1/sqrt(x).
(Never too sure when it comes to english wording of maths, but in french it's definetly that.)

This makes sense since there's a RSQRT "ASM" instruction...
(Reciprocal SQuareRooT)

(BTW, noticed there are 2 FastInvSqrt articles on Beyond3D ? ;p)

Except the Reciprocal is the "Multiplicative Inverse". So RSQRT is the Multiplicative Inverse of Sqrt and in normal plain old maths the Multiplicative Inverse is x^-1 so RSQRT is (sqrt(x))^-1 = 1/sqrt(x).

Clearly one would only expect the inverse and multpilicative inverse to be the same is when we are talking about multiplication. Our german speaking friend has it down pat. I'm actually suprised we are having this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to 'calc.exe' the 'Inv' (Inverse) of 'x^2' is a square root so hense the Inverse of a square root is square. :)

Of course one shouldn't use ambiguous terms such as inverse square root if they mean reciprocal square root.

G(f(x)) = x is the definition of the inverse function G(x). G(x) = x^2 is the inverse of sqrt(x) provided you have suitable domains of definition (say x >= 0).

I'm actually suprised we are having this issue.
We have these sorts of issues not because of any mathematical reason but because semantics is so ambiguous and the written word is low bandwidth. Hence why someone can think of "inverse square root" and "the inverse of the square root function" as the same thing even though the former is a (not entirely proper) term describing multiplicative inverses.

For instance, if referring to the "inverse of f(x) = x", then the inverse is just g(x) = x, since that makes g(f(x)) = f(x) = x... but referring to the "inverse of x" has a different implied meaning.

Hence, we can show that English is creation of cruel devils. Q.E.D.

"x>=0 is not necessary"

Yes it really is, I insist you specify an appropriate domain!

Here is the definition in pedant mode:

given a function f(x) and some domain X, the inverse function exists iff
for every x is an element of X

f^-1 (f(x)) = f (f^-1(x)) = x

take X to be R. x^2 is defined over all of R, sqrt(x) is otoh most certainly not. Thus, over R, sqrt(x) has NO inverse function.

If you replace that domain of definition with the algebraic completion C, then it most certainly does exist.

Back