Whats the best graphics card

Black Ninja

Newcomer
I want to buy a new graphics card the one iv got is a Geforce2 mx(i think).I want one that is fast and is not to expensiv

This one is quite nice ;)

but it really depends on what you want to do with it.

i just got an Gf4Ti4200 and i really like it, but you may want to wait a little bit, since ATI is rumored to launch its new Chips soon (dont know when, but ATIs website has already a Flash Ad for it so it cant be that far away)

Both the ti4200 and the radeon 8500 are pretty good buys right now. Off pricewatch, you can get the 8500 oem cards for under $100, (the lowest is $85), while the ti4200s can be had for about $145. New cards by ATI and nvidia will drive down the top end parts, but I'd be suprised if either of these will come down much (you may eventually see the ti4200 come down closer to $100). As someone else mentioned in another thread, it's a pretty bad time to buy the topend stuff, but the lower end (or simply older) stuff is pretty cheap atm.

Nite_Hawk

I agree with all above.

It is not a good time to buy top end cards.

The best buys are (pricewatch):
- GF3Ti200 ($82) , DX8, cheap, good performance for current games
- Radeon 8500 LE ($93) , very good performance
- GF4Ti4200 ($138) , great performance, best option if you can afford.

You might want to wait a little while for all the new cards to come out. nVidia and ATI will have new GUP's out soon. Creative is supose to release a new card using 3DLads tech and Matrox's Parhelia is all ready getting good reviews.

there might be a Kyro 3 card coming out too from VIA, but that's only a rumor.

With all these comapnies offering 3D gaming cards, we will probably see much better cards at lower prices very soon.

Personally, I hope the Parhelia is as good as they say it's supose to be because I was a very big Matrox fan when they released their MGA chip. They were ahead of the times then but for some reason they decided to get out of the 3D game card market.

It depends on what processor you have too.

Fastest graphics card that money can buy RIGHT NOW is GF4 Ti4600.
Best features is Parhelia from Matrox.
Best price/performance IMO is either a Radeon 8500 or a GF4 Ti4200.

However ALL these gfx card require 1GHz plus processors and preferrably RDRAM or DDR RAM based system. Otherwise you may as well go for a GF4MX440 or similar but it has about the same 3D features as your GF2MX

The 8500 I have seems to suit the PIII 733 system it's in just fine.

But, I'm still of the opinion, that until you're at about a 1GHz CPU, the video card means little to nothing.

Actually, I just upgraded to a 1700+ athlon, but kept my sdram as this is really just a temporary stop gap until the next gen of intel and AMD cpus come out (It's really between the new P4s and the hammers for me). It seems to be doing pretty well over all, even though it's not DDR. Doesn't really seem to be all that much different than my friends 1600+ with DDR. Granted, I'm sure benchmarks would tell a slightly different story, but over all it's not too bad.

Ntie_Hawk

Most video cards don't scale as well as the VSA-100 GPU that's on the Voodoo4 and Voodoo5. CPU speed doesn't really effect the video card that much.

Back