What's SPDIF and why should I use it?

I have an AC97 ALC658 sound chip.
I have a Winfast Leadtek DTV1000 T card.
I have 2 speakers and a sub.

Anything else I have no idea about.
It all sounds too confusing and way too much work.

Not entirely sure what to do.

From what I see on the pictures, the connection you're using is not SPDIF but just a simple line out from the TV-card? Is it SPDIF at all?

I picked SPDIF from the options and it worked.
There is a wire that goes from my TV into soundcard but I don't know what that is and currently I'm just transfering everything across the PCI bridge.

_xxx_ said:
From what I see on the pictures, the connection you're using is not SPDIF but just a simple line out from the TV-card? Is it SPDIF at all?

Well then, if it works that's fine. I think the wire you're talking about is just a stereo line-out, I know of no TV-cards with SPDIF.

Using S/PDIF is probably the way to go, if you have the speakers for it.

As others have noted, S/PDIF is merely a digital transfer line. What this means is that you are bypassing any DAC's in your system and using the DAC's on the speakers. This removes the possibility of signal degradation in the wires or poor DAC's or filters in your system degrading the quality of sound (please note that this does not remove the DAC's entirely, such as is the case with DVI on flatpanel displays: it just moves the DAC to the speakers, as would be the case for a CRT with a DVI connection).

But for it to be better, using the S/PDIF depends upon having a good DAC in the speakers. This is most likely the case, though, so I'd definitely say to go for S/PDIF.

SP/DIF not equal to TOSlink.

Reznor007 said:
Toslink and coax digital are identical in transmission quality.
This turns out not to be the case. Optical connections (TOSlink) have been shown to have latency that is simply not present in coaxial connections (SP/DIF). You can find plentiful bibliography on the web from pro and semi-pro recording studios.

While not as apparent in short stereo connections, latencies in multi-channel and lenghthy optical connection definitely recommend SP/DIF over TOSlink.

Last edited by a moderator:
ricercar said:
While not as apparent in short stereo connections, latencies in multi-channel and lenghthy optical connection definitely recommend SP/DIF over TOSlink.
The only latency difference could be a constant latency that is introduced by the conversion of electrical to light and back. Neither of these are affected by multi-channel or the length of the cable.

Any latency should be less than 1ms, as the only "conversion" is the activation of an LED to send light through the fiber cable and a receiver to make an electrical pulse. The actual quality of the signal is still identical, even if it is 1ms behind.

Since the speed of light through fiber is probably faster than electricity through copper it may even nullify the latency...

I think the main problem of TOSlink is whether it introduces random jitters from the conversion between light and electric signals. I don't know if it does, but I know some people who think it's better to have less conversions.

Of course, if you reclock the signals with a very precise reference clock before feeding it into the DAC, most jitter problems will go away.

Most decent equipment reclocks all digital inputs so it's nothing to worry about. I've never seen any digital cable cause any difference whatsoever, from an expensive toslink, to a rusty nail and coat hanger.

Guys, if all he has is 2.1 speakers I highly doubt they have S/PDIF input and DAC in the speakers themselves. He's said repeatedly that the S/PDIF connection he is using is simply going from his TV tuner card to his sound card, on the back of his PC, not from the TV tuner card to his speakers. If that were the case, then yes, S/PDIF connection to a 5.1 speaker system that has a built in DAC and S/PDIF input would be ideal but that is not the case.

Again, I can not think of any benefit at all to using S/PDIF to pass the sound data from the TV tuner card to the sound card when it will be passed just as nicely, and just as digitally, across the PCI bus anyway.

TOSLink delay is on the order of a handfull of microseconds (not miliseconds). The delay between the sound leaving your speakers and reaching your ears is a lot longer than that (at a distance of 2 feet it takes sound about 1.767 miliseconds to reach your ears). If you can hear the delay incurred by TOSLink, you should probably win some kind of prize.

Crusher said:
If you can hear the delay incurred by TOSLink, you should probably win some kind of prize.
For what? "Most deluded person of the year award"?

Back