What's SPDIF and why should I use it?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Sony Philips Digital Interface Format?
It allows you to avoid converting a signal to analog -> digital and instead use digital -> digital right?

I'm using SPDIF when I watch TV although I notice no quality or performance difference. What gives?

K.I.L.E.R said:
TV Tuner -> Soundcard

:LOL:

Don't bother using it to connect devices within a computer. It's meant to be a digital medium between discrete devices, typically in a configuration with a stereo/surround sound receiver as the recipient. Analog cabling allows interference to degrade signal quality, and the resistance of the wiring causes loss in signal power. The digital optical connection eliminates the interference and resistance so the receiver has a clean signal to process. The signal being passed between your TV tuner card and your sound card should be traveling through the computer in digital form anyway, so using the interface there is pointless.

Well, truth be told, the TV tuner card could pass the entire S/PDIF stream, which would include AC-3.

If the soundcard is dandy enough, it can take AC-3 in, and convert the stream to the analog 5.1.

Assuming, of course, that the channels you're receiving on your sound card are 5.1, and you can't get the AC-3 stream some other way.

Anyhoo...

I always though SPDIF was to carry 5.1 surround sound from DVD player (or PC or anything else playing a DVD) to the surround sound system...? All digital and nice and sweet.

london-boy said:
I always though SPDIF was to carry 5.1 surround sound from DVD player (or PC or anything else playing a DVD) to the surround sound system...? All digital and nice and sweet.
S/PDIF carries a digital bitstream.

PCM (2 channel)
Dolby Digital (multi-channel)
DTS (multi-channel)

What Russ said ^^

Also: SPDIF has less interferences compared to analog, be it the coax or the optic fibre version. The "real" use is thus the high-end studio stuff etc., as well as the ability to reduce cabling (which is the case with any digital interface compared to its analog counterpart anyway).

Connecting stuff which has such a lousy sound quality like a PC sound card with stuff with even worse sound quality like TV will give you no improvement over analog usually.

TosLink (Toshiba Link) has the least interference of them all since it's using light. :devilish:

Connecting stuff which has such a lousy sound quality like a PC sound card with stuff with even worse sound quality like TV will give you no improvement over analog usually.

Exactly...the noise will just be more clear and crisp.:LOL:

Toslink and coax digital are identical in transmission quality. A rusty nail and coat hanger rigged into a coax connection will transmit the same information as true glass fibre optic. All it sends is 0 or 1, so there aren't any tiny variations like analog cables. At higher speeds it matters, but SPDIF is extremely slow.

Because of that, it is better to use digital in PC audio, since most PC DAC's and ADC's aren't exactly great combined with the electrical noise of most PC's. Keeping the sound digital will make it perfect, as there is no interference.

But transmitting 0's and 1's can often fail too. The strength of these connections is the medium (Coax is shielded, optical being even better obviously, since it does not care about electromagnetic interference).

_xxx_ said:
But transmitting 0's and 1's can often fail too. The strength of these connections is the medium (Coax is shielded, optical being even better obviously, since it does not care about electromagnetic interference).

If it fails to a point where it's error correction fails then you get either a loud pop or a total audio dropout, not slightly worse sound or anything.

For EMI to affect coax SPDIF it would have to raise the voltage by about .2-.3 volts(in order to change a 0 to a 1), which would be absurd.

I have HDTV tuner card(It's working really sleak).
It's not analog xxx, does the same still apply(that SPDIF is useless between my tuner/sound card)?

Use SPDIF any time it's available. At the very least you are bypassing DAC's and ADC's and just going all digital until you output to your speakers or headphones.

Reznor007 said:
Use SPDIF any time it's available. At the very least you are bypassing DAC's and ADC's and just going all digital until you output to your speakers or headphones.

What DAC/ADCs are you talking about? The only things he has that are analog are his speakers, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm missing something, is the capture card unable to pass the AC3 audio to the sound card over the PCI bus for some stupid reason?

Crusher said:
What DAC/ADCs are you talking about? The only things he has that are analog are his speakers, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm missing something, is the capture card unable to pass the AC3 audio to the sound card over the PCI bus for some stupid reason?

It does but I also have a cable that can go from TV to soundcard.
Which is best?

Crusher said:

If it's available then that is preferred, but alot of TV cards I've seen require extra audio connectors.

If you're playing with magnets, solar flares, and EMP pulses then Toslink is probably the way to go. If you like moving your cables around a lot, tying them in knots, or weaving them into nice designs then you should lean towards Coax. For most of us it doesn't matter (unless your equipment only has one type of connection). I tend to use coax because every time I get a video card it comes with a free 6' piece of 75ohm coax with RCA jacks at each end :).

SPDIF should be used to get the digital audio stream to the DACs that you want to use. If your soundcard has a pro audio card with better DACs then your receiver then you will probably want to run analog cables from the card to the amp. But for most of us, our receivers will have better DACs then our soundcards, so we want to run digital links.

The data you get out is only as good as the data that is sent in. What kind of amplifier/speaker setup will factor in as well. If the show show you are watching only has a PCM stream, then analog would probably be as good as digital. On the other hand, if you're watching a HD show with an AC3 5.1 stream, you should notice a huge difference between the analog and digital, assuming you have a 5.1 speaker setup.

Note that the way your tuner card handles digital audio changes things too. Ideally a card will support a SPDIF passthrough mode, where the audio stream is just passed directly to the output connector. Some cards may cheat and decode AC3 (or DTS) streams into PCM (which is just uncompressed 2ch audio).

I thought the Theater550 was the first setup that allowed audio data to be passed over the PCI bus?

Back