What's a good computer speaker system?

The GMX series from Klipsch is really one of their worst products. It wasn't/isn't even close to the ProMedia set in quality and it's nowhere near the Onkyo system posted above.

And obviously don't get a digital receiver if you don't have a digital output on your soundcard. You don't want an D-A/A-D-A conversion. And if you are worried about mp3 quality...then just don't use mp3's because they sound terrible anyway!

As to speakers like the Klipsh linked above, I seriously recommend a cheap sub, receiver, and two bookshelf speakers over that setup. It'll sound better, but won't be exactly as convenient.

The next model up which has better HDMI handling, the Onkyo HT-S6100, is $580 shipped from Vanns (via Amazon).

I wanted to thank this thread for this info, as I pulled the trigger on this a couple weeks ago, and got one.
Great decision, it sounds awesome, and is more than enough to fill my computer room with bone rattling noise...but it also sounds fantastic when I'm just listening to some good classical music or opera on my computer.

highly recommended!

Now for the next request:
I'm looking to do something similar for my living room home theater setup, but I'm wanting to go much more high end - maybe spend a couple thousand on receiver and speakers. Any recommendations/advice, or systems to avoid?

Loudness is the thing I care the least about. Lots of wattage just makes me wonder about what kind of electricity bill the thing is going to give me. :p I play at maybe regular speech level or less normally. I like sound quality, although I'm by no means an audiophile, but I can hear the difference between a $50 system and a $500 system though.

I don't have one, and haven't had one for like 5 years. I play all the music through my computer.
Computer speakers wont rack up your electricity bill, considering most of them cant put out more than 100 watts true rms. Btw my logitech 5300 (which I only use for my headphones) claim to be 280 watts RMS, yet their power draw is only listed as 1.5 amps, which doing 1.5x 120volts gives you 180watts, so even if the amp was 100% it would only be 180 watts. Point- computer speakers listed output wattage is almost always a peak number, even if they claim to be RMS. Computer speakers also have shitty midrange, as they use the sub for low freaquencies and a tiny driver everything else(plus a tweeter sometimes) and that leaves a hole in the frequency response.
If you really dont want to use a reciever, atleast use something like the Swans M200, which uses a bigger driver and no subwoofer.

Onkyo has some crazy high-end receivers that use the best video image processor (HQV Reon-VX) to do upconversion to 1080p [JR's list]. The Onkyo 6100 HTiB uses a slightly modified 606 receiver which will do upconversion to 1080i HDMI from non-HDMI sources.

Now for the next request:
I'm looking to do something similar for my living room home theater setup, but I'm wanting to go much more high end - maybe spend a couple thousand on receiver and speakers. Any recommendations/advice, or systems to avoid?

If you've got the room you may go for open baffeled speakers with a subwoofer with active crossovers: link

Back