What is the true spec of PSX3 CELL???

A PS3 at 1Tflop with 256 megs of ram vs an Xbox2 with a midrange CPU and ~1 gig of ram would even things out nicely.

Well.. You also have to factor in PS3's *other* memory; such as e-DRAM on Cell and memory on the Rasterizer.

Assume 256mb main ram + 16mb e-DRAM(Cell) and 64mb VRAM for the Rasterizer.

But yea, I can see MS really just dumping tons of ram(GB) onto Xbox2 if PS3 really takes everyone by surprise. But otherwise I still see them going with 512mb's worth.

Unless if by some chance PS3 uses 512mb of External XDR, but I don't know about this.

I MEAN.... i really dont think that a huge amount of RAM could ever be a substitute to high computational power.

if that were true, a PC with a Pentium2 300MHz, Voodoo2 and 1GB or Ram would outperform PS2 and even Xbox.... :LOL:

but maybe i got your statement wrong sweetie

I MEAN.... i really dont think that a huge amount of RAM could ever be a substitute to high computational power.

Your right. It really couldn't. Of course this all assumes PS3 really does trounce Xbox2 in pure power and MS counters with huge amounts of memory.

What you would see is your average Xbox2 game looking better than a PS3 game at launch, although some PS3 games made by good devs at launch would look better than the Xbox2 games.

Once developers really get to know PS3 hardware though(2nd gen games)... this is where the difference between the systems becomes aparent.

Take a look at PS2, launch games looked very very nice. However it wasn't until Konami showed MGS2 that we saw what ps2 could REALLY do.

Heh... I remember playing the MGS2 demo way back then.. blew my friggin mind. Best graphics I had ever seen in my life, that rain..

hehe....

just got another of those moments... u know... THOSE moments... when u begin to imagine how a MGS game will look on a next gen console... then i switch to SH.... then ZOE............... drooooooooooooooooooooool..........

london-boy said:

if that were true, a PC with a Pentium2 300MHz, Voodoo2 and 1GB or Ram would outperform PS2 and even Xbox.... :LOL:

but maybe i got your statement wrong sweetie

Well according to most developers, RAM is still a huge limiting factor for consoles. Putting in a gig of ram would be more a bandaid on a third degree burn, but it would have its advantages for the Xboxen crowd to advocate on internet message boards ;)

and i guess a whole Gb of Ram would be SLOW to fill up and empty unless it's really fast memory at high bandwidth. and that is expensive.

zidane1strife:

> There are ways around that, recycle content from others,

Even with middleware and licensed or procedurally generated assets (huge potential there) the complexity and size of the task means that any kind of ambitious title will take a long time to finish.

> or simply settle for less spectacular looking gphx than the top dev.'s games.

But then you don't need the best hardware, just the one that's easiest to develop for (which I guarantee you won't be the PS3).

While I don't like arguing over speculatory specs, let's assume that PS3 will indeed be the most powerful system. Several times more powerful than both the Xbox 2 and the GC2. The GPU will even match or exceed anything those two systems have to offer. It's is anything Sony has ever promised and more, a fanboy's wet dream. I'll argue that the Xbox 2 would still be comparable, not because of diminishing returns (which will be a relevant argument next gen as opposed to this one), but because everything will depend on the time and money that has been put into the game. Making a state of the art game today takes many years (we're starting to look at 4-5 years from concept and engine development to the final product comes out) and making a game that takes full advantage of the dream version of PS3 will take even more.

Xbox 2, because it is a PC, will have the same advantage the Xbox 1 does: easy portability of Windows software. They will be able to take software that has been under development for years on PC and port it to Xbox 2 in little time and while it may not even remotely tax the system it is likely to feel more polished than something thrown together in two years but designed specifically for the PS3. This will be Xbox 2's big advantage. PS3 will have others and GC2 others again.

I'm not saying that PS3 is doomed and Xbox 2 will win (in fact, I doubt that will be the case) but I am saying that it generally won't come down to the power of the hardware.

All this talk about PS3 and its overwhelming 5 yrs power just sound so unconvincing.... :?

One thing to note is that PS3 should presumbly stay as a game console to be sold at a game console price(unless Sony gets too hohoho for their own good), and not at the thousands of a maximum blaster of a PC.

Something has to give for Sony to sell at 299. I have a very hard time believing a 299 system staying graphically top for years, do super uper physics and the ability to match current offline renderers(100% FFX FMV in realtime.... :oops: )

It be reeeeallll interesting to see if Sony delivers to its fans ultra dreams..

Something has to give for Sony to sell at 299.

But let me guess, something at MS doesn't?

It's called taking a loss when the console first comes out, than making the money back later. EE costed 100 dollars each to make when PS2 first came out.

Frankly, I don't see PS3 or XB2 starting at $299, either. I figure they're going to bump up to $399 or so to start, as the market may well support it. (Especially if they're going "all-in-one" boxes.) It would be NICE, but I'm thinking they're going to kick it up a notch in general. There's just too much friggin hardware here. o_O

Something has to give for Sony to sell at 299. I have a very hard time believing a 299 system staying graphically top for years, do super uper physics and the ability to match current offline renderers(100% FFX FMV in realtime.... )

:p whos doing the hyping now? ;)

oh and they will price it at least in that region lest commercial suicide.

I still predict a tiered console system.. probably $299, $399, $499 at launch with staggered features.

chaphack said:
All this talk about PS3 and its overwhelming 5 yrs power just sound so unconvincing.... :?

One thing to note is that PS3 should presumbly stay as a game console to be sold at a game console price(unless Sony gets too hohoho for their own good), and not at the thousands of a maximum blaster of a PC.

Something has to give for Sony to sell at 299. I have a very hard time believing a 299 system staying graphically top for years, do super uper physics and the ability to match current offline renderers(100% FFX FMV in realtime.... :oops: )

It be reeeeallll interesting to see if Sony delivers to its fans ultra dreams..
No sensible person is really waiting for next gen consoles to render 100% FFX or equivalent in realtime.
I'm wondering who's having those 'ultra dreams', and who'll be disappointed again 'cos the PS3 did not bring FFTSW GraPhiXX in realtime, just as PS2 did not bring Toy Story gRafikX :rolleyes:
Honestly chap, you are building up the hype at unrealistic porportions, just so that you can come here at PS3 launch, saying how you were right that Sony let you down wiith PS3.

Even at $499, the early adoptors will buy it like they used to.

And the price will drop and more people will be buying it. Much like the early days of PS2. I bought my SCPH-10000 at $500.

quote: Even at $499, the early adoptors will buy it like they used to. .

the ps2 was released at 515 EURO (tax included) here in Most part of europe (offcourse, there was no EURO back then , but I recalculated the Belgian Frank )

so yes, even at that high price, people are crazy enough to buy them on day 1 (me included :LOL: )

Well I remember European Launch price to be e bit below 400€s, at least in the larger countries.

But let me guess, something at MS doesn't?
But let me guess, what does MS has to do with this?

It's called taking a loss when the console first comes out, than making the money back later. EE costed 100 dollars each to make when PS2 first came out.
And its called how much a loss they are taking. IIRC, PS2 initial cost price was around 400+ while Xbox is about 100 more. I dont think you can buy the top of toppest line PC with just 400-500.

whos doing the hyping now?
notafanb, no offense but, if you interested in stalkingly rebutting me, you should really read up past topics first. But lets make this clear now and then:
CHAP NEVER SAID HE EXPECTS 100% FFX FMV REALTIME NEXT GEN. IN FACT, I REPEATEDLY STATED IT WILL NOT BE THE CASE. ITS THE USUAL YOU-KNOW-WHO FELLOWS WHO ARE SAYING SO.

No sensible person is really waiting for next gen consoles to render 100% FFX or equivalent in realtime.
I'm wondering who's having those 'ultra dreams', and who'll be disappointed again 'cos the PS3 did not bring FFTSW GraPhiXX in realtime, just as PS2 did not bring Toy Story gRafikX
Honestly chap, you are building up the hype at unrealistic porportions, just so that you can come here at PS3 launch, saying how you were right that Sony let you down wiith PS3.
Read my bolded part above. ;)

To add more, you, like notafanb, should reread old topics once again. All this 5yrs/FFX/superphysic jazzz, DID NOT come from me. Again, CHAP NEVER EXPECT/HYPE TO SEE A SUPER-UBER UNTOUCHABLE $299 PS3.

I am just requoting what "The Others'" said and their "ultra dreams". :oops:

chaphack said:
CHAP NEVER SAID HE EXPECTS 100% FFX FMV REALTIME NEXT GEN. IN FACT, I REPEATEDLY STATED IT WILL NOT BE THE CASE. ITS THE USUAL YOU-KNOW-WHO FELLOWS WHO ARE SAYING SO.
CHAP NEVER EXPECT/HYPE TO SEE A SUPER-UBER UNTOUCHABLE $299 PS3.

I am just requoting what "The Others'" said and their "ultra dreams". :oops:

who exactly. it seems the vast majority of people are saying that the final result might look similar to FFX FMV, but thats considering the shortcuts and tricks....

Back