What is the true spec of PSX3 CELL???

as it happens I do think that the alot of currentlevel CG (at least in current games), that can be done in realtime next gen.

although considering some of the texture requirements of some scenes some 'hacks' may be in order.

EDIT: oh an you forget the smilies 8)

londony,
you can do a search for FFX. it be not nicie if i quoted out who's who. :p

notafan,
smilies are yeay forgetten. all those bolded words do look too intimidating. :oops:

chaphack said:
londony,
you can do a search for FFX. it be not nicie if i quoted out who's who. :p

notafan,
smilies are yeay forgetten. all those bolded words do look too intimidating. :oops:

I am not joining the fight, just that I don't recall anyone said anything as concrete as the next gen will definitely be FF-X FMV quality.

From what I recall, some people do expect/hope to get FF-X FMV quality, but that is not a definite or absolute statement.

edit: and I don't see the reason to pull people from their dreams. A guy may dream of Haiwaii as an extremely beautiful place with extremely beautiful girls, when he reach there the reality may be a lot less than that, but as long as the guy is still happy, why spoil his fun ?

chaphack said:
A guy may dream about creating a super low cost, low maintainence ultra sleek portable car that drives/flies/dives without the need for fuel, totally customisable, online out of the box impressive mondo, whatever!!!

Not only does he dreams, he went on the record saying so. "My ideas are going to radically change the world! You can say buyee buyee to the Mercs/Skylines/Ferrari/etc. All cars be known as The DRE@m Car 2!"(p.s the DreamCar1 was a flop) :oops: Stocks are expected to be available by late 2008. Please pre-order from your nearest retailers today.

Can't believe i'm actually replying to this, but just for the sake of argument. your example is faulty simply for the reason that the first intalment was a flop, as u put it. Mr Kutaragi has WON by a long margin the last 2 generations of console "wars". i think he is in the position to have visions and he certainly is in the position to make his visions come somewhat true.

it's ur word against his. and to be honest, i rather trust the man who's almost single handedly revolutionised Sony itself and made billions upon billions.

nothing personal chap.

If Ps3 isnt what some people expect it to be, fine, it will still be an amazing piece of machinery. it all comes down to expectations. i won't be disappointed by any of the next gen consoles because i'm keeping my expectations fairly low. don't see the point of having discussion on how evil is one corporation compared to another, when they are doing pretty much the same thing. SELLING A PRODUCT.

chaphack said:
just do a FFX search... ;)

---snipe---

wrong topic. :p

Well, if my message is not to the topic, so do yours. ;)

And to the topic, no one will know the true spec (except some specific person in Sony), everyone else is simply speculating from the extremely limited materials. But speculating is fun.

londony
your example is faulty simply for the reason that the first intalment was a flop, as u put it. Mr Kutaragi has WON by a long margin the last 2 generations of console "wars".
You are making the same mistake as Paul ealier. Victory in selling more consoles doesnt equate to victory in dreamy dreams.

i think he is in the position to have visions and he certainly is in the position to make his visions come somewhat true.
Of course he can have his visions. I can have my own visions, but doesnt mean anything concrete if those remain as visions.

it's ur word against his. and to be honest, i rather trust the man who's almost single handedly revolutionised Sony itself and made billions upon billions.
Yes his words, those almost similar words, that brought about a wicked sense of deja vu to pre-PS2 days. That is the point of content.

i won't be disappointed by any of the next gen consoles because i'm keeping my expectations fairly low.
Me too, as i have said time and again.

don't see the point of having discussion on how evil is one corporation compared to another, when they are doing pretty much the same thing. SELLING A PRODUCT.
Exactly. Tell that to those who think only MS is evil etc.

maskraider,
Well, if my message is not to the topic, so do yours.
eh i meant, i mistook this topic for the one with Ken The Matrix Kutaragi. Hence i sniped off my part on dreamy dreams.

chaphack said:
londony
your example is faulty simply for the reason that the first intalment was a flop, as u put it. Mr Kutaragi has WON by a long margin the last 2 generations of console "wars".
You are making the same mistake as Paul ealier. Victory in selling more consoles doesnt equate to victory in dreamy dreams.

i think he is in the position to have visions and he certainly is in the position to make his visions come somewhat true.
Of course he can have his visions. I can have my own visions, but doesnt mean anything concrete if those remain as visions.

Yes his words, those almost similar words, that brought about a wicked sense of deja vu to pre-PS2 days. That is the point of content.

i won't be disappointed by any of the next gen consoles because i'm keeping my expectations fairly low.
Me too, as i have said time and again.

don't see the point of having discussion on how evil is one corporation compared to another, when they are doing pretty much the same thing. SELLING A PRODUCT.
Exactly. Tell that to those who think only MS is evil etc.

maskraider,
Well, if my message is not to the topic, so do yours.
eh i meant, i mistook this topic for the one with Ken The Matrix Kutaragi. Hence i sniped off my part on dreamy dreams.

can u believe it, we are actually having an almost civil discussion, chap. unbelievable.... :LOL:

anyway, back to topic.

the thing that strikes me most is that u think that even going the PS2 route is a bad thing. ps3 will not go the ps2 route, since it sounds more like it's going the ps1 route (easier development and such), but even if it did go the ps2 route, the difference is that u think that is a bad thing in itself, while many people think that is actually a good thing. granted, both routes are GOOD, and the competition would sell their souls to have the kind of success the Playstation brand has had and is still having, but u REALLY seem to think that EVERYTHING about PS2 is just wrong.
i mean, it's your opinion, but the bitching and the fighting here stems from that simple fact. your opinion is just weird. that's it.
u say PS2 hardware was disappointing, whereas many people were happy with how it turned out to be, given the time it was released. so what can we do? guess we have to stay here and listen to u telling us how evil PS2 is with its muddy textures and lack of pixel shading...

the thing that strikes me most is that u think that even going the PS2 route is a bad thing. ps3 will not go the ps2 route, since it sounds more like it's going the ps1 route (easier development and such), but even if it did go the ps2 route, the difference is that u think that is a bad thing in itself, while many people think that is actually a good thing. granted, both routes are GOOD,

While i do think PS3 will be more brute CPU + software, but in this topic, thats not the point. I am just questioning is it really possible for $299 PS3 with Cell and all, to be that much powerful than the competition(console + pc + whatever magic logic stuffs :LOL: ) , and stay that way for years.... :?

As for the PS2 bit, i said my fill and it still remains that it was too boobooboboboo for the time vs dreamy dreams vs hype vs cost ratio.

chaphack said:
the thing that strikes me most is that u think that even going the PS2 route is a bad thing. ps3 will not go the ps2 route, since it sounds more like it's going the ps1 route (easier development and such), but even if it did go the ps2 route, the difference is that u think that is a bad thing in itself, while many people think that is actually a good thing. granted, both routes are GOOD,

While i do think PS3 will be more brute CPU + software, but in this topic, thats not the point. I am just questioning is it really possible for $299 PS3 with Cell and all, to be that much powerful than the competition(console + pc + whatever magic logic stuffs :LOL: ) , and stay that way for years.... :?

As for the PS2 bit, i said my fill and it still remains that it was too boobooboboboo for the time vs dreamy dreams vs hype vs cost ratio.

well, i paid around UK£400 for my ps2 not even on launch day.... that is around US$600 by the way if my calculations are correct...... so there u go.... "stay that for years".... of course better technology comes out, no one expects a chip to be the top chip for 5 years. still, what u can pull off with old technology can be quite surprising. and let's not take out old examples...

And its called how much a loss they are taking. IIRC, PS2 initial cost price was around 400+ while Xbox is about 100 more. I dont think you can buy the top of toppest line PC with just 400-500.

Why does how much matter? Sony will take a loss for their systems in order to get it to a 300 dollar price point for the US launch, GO take a look at what they did with PS2 in the US.

300 is the mass market price, Kutaragi has said this. I heard the same rants about how ps2 would turn out to be 400+ dollars too, we all know how much that ended up being true.

PiNkY said:
Well I remember European Launch price to be e bit below 400€s, at least in the larger countries.

nope, 20750 Belgien frank was the launch price and the same in France, netherlands and germany ( offcourse in their own currency calculated to EURO it's 500+ euro

Paul said:
Why does how much matter? Sony will take a loss for their systems in order to get it to a 300 dollar price point for the US launch, GO take a look at what they did with PS2 in the US.

300 is the mass market price, Kutaragi has said this. I heard the same rants about how ps2 would turn out to be 400+ dollars too, we all know how much that ended up being true.

Of course it matters. What goes into PS2/XB2/GS2 tech, are going to be restricted by having the need to, like you say, maintain mass market prices. PC stuffs are more limited by your own pocket.

Sony was badly in the red druing ealry PS2 days, Ken almost got the boot and they were just losing 100+ per PS2. You think Sony is willing to lose hundreds or even thousands per PS3?

Sony was badly in the red druing ealry PS2 days, Ken almost got the boot and they were just losing 100+ per PS2. You think Sony is willing to lose hundreds or even thousands per PS3?

Where did you hear Kutaragi was going to get the boot? These decisions about where sony's money goes isn't just up to him.

Of course Sony was in the red during the early ps2 days.. That's the plan to lose money with the hopes that you make it all back later when production prices drop. And this is what happened with PS2.

Thousands per PS3? I don't know where such a figure comes from. What in a ps3 could make it cost THAT much?

Emotion Engine costed 100 dollars each to make. Cell will cost no more than 150, if that to make each, especially since it's going to be a 65 nm chip, you cut production costs that way.

Blu-ray is only expensive because Sony can get away with it at this point, there is no competition really you want a blu-ray player your pretty much only bet is Sony. PS3 won't use a full scale blu-ray player much like pS2 didn't use a full-scale dvd player. Just something basic to push the medium.

PS3 isn't really going to have a built in Tivo or HDTV tuner or anything like that.. What pS3 is going to have is some type of HDD in which you download all this entertainment from the internet(hence cell).

PS3 isn't going to be a thing like PSX. It will try to bring alot of entertainment to one device but in a different way than PSX's brute force type of way. You will have the HDD though and the whole network thing will be huge, but don't expect to be burning CD's and DVD's on ps3 anytime soon...

With that said.. PS3 won't have huge production costs so high that they will not make it back.

A four-core CELL beast measuring 500 mm2 will surely make Sony lose thousand bucks on each unit sold...

Lmao... Your clueless dude, I'm not even going to bother going through it.

Pentium4 costs $50 to manufacture.

FYI EE costed 100 dollars to make when it was NEW, now it probably costs like 10-20. Oh and did that pentium 4 cost 50 dollars to make when it just came out? How about a 3.2Ghz P4? How much does that cost to manufacture.

hey69 said:
PiNkY said:
Well I remember European Launch price to be e bit below 400€s, at least in the larger countries.

nope, 20750 Belgien frank was the launch price and the same in France, netherlands and germany ( offcourse in their own currency calculated to EURO it's 500+ euro
As for Germany, the PS2 launched at 869 DM which equals ~445 Euro today.

cu

incurable

Re: ...

Vince said:
DeadmeatGA said:
Unlikely. Trolls launching personal insults against other have gone unpunished. I do not insult others, only present compelling cases.

Hardly. You have actually compelled me to post. Congradulations. Intel has anticicapted a Billion+ transistor IC based on the 65nm process with 16MB of L2 running at 6GHz. This has been stated multiple times by Intel fellows, most recently I've seen it in a presentation on petaFlop clusters in the 2009/2010 timeframe.

You have not learned enough.

Someone's response:

Intels "Billion Transistor Processor" is supposed to be the dual core
Montesito to be released in 2005. All those transistors go for more
then 90% into SRAM cache memory and NOT into floating point processing
hardware. Montesino at 90 nm will be huge ~480 mm2, ~20 GigaFlops
(double precision) and 130 Watt or so TDP. They want it to be the
record holder for SPEC floating point performance.

Back