What if Sega-Sammy went into the home console business?

TEXAN said:
If xbox and gamecube being graphically far superior to the ps2 barely managed to scrape 20million units worlwide then both xbox360 and revolution being less powerfull than PS3 have zero chance in hell. I predict both of these systems will sell no more than 5-15 million units in there entire run.

In other words both these systems shall be their respective hardware vendors last home consoles.

So then, in 2010 only Sony shall remain, perfect opportunity for a second player (SEGA SAMMY) to enter.

Mark my words between 2010-2012 they shall return in time for the next next generation.

You sound alot like Deadmeat.

Cornman said:
GC has made more profit than PS2 and Xbox.

Do you have any figures to back that up? I would think that 100 million sold consoles + >500 million sold titles would make a nice profit, but what do I know.....

He is rigth in a sense. The PS2 made Sony more money than the GC did Nintendo but Sony's other sections haven't been doing that well so they drag down profits. Sony also tend to spend boatloads of cash on R&D and moves like buying MGM.

Just released lindbergh 2 for home.

PC port should be easy, and so is their arcade port.

And make sure its backward compatible with all other Sega previous platforms (home consoles and arcade boards). And have those games ready at launch for people to purchase through their online store or something.

Yeah i would just LOVE to see a good spreadsheet or even just a table with the 3 companies' revenues and profits in the last 5 years.
There's this myth about Nintendo having made more profit, but no one has been able to prove it, or prove that it comes from anywhere but their handheld business. Or Pokefuckinmon

It's one of those arguments used out of context to try and appear to have won and appease a belief that they can't admit is wrong. Many people do it about things they're loyal to, sports fans are the worst... I just don't see the shame in admitting things and calling eggs eggs. I mean they are eggs after all.

AlphaWolf said:
Mobile phones are eons away from being a serious competitor to any game machine.
I would think they are pretty close. Many already have a fairly powerful CPU and the next generation of graphics chips will have reasonable 3D performance.

Simon F said:
I would think they are pretty close. Many already have a fairly powerful CPU and the next generation of graphics chips will have reasonable 3D performance.
Though one could argue that hardware capabilities aren;t enough. With 30 different makes of gaming phone all with different CPUs, GPUs and capabilities, how do you get quality titles for all of them? I'm guessing virtual machines would be important, which can severely limit the performance of the hardware. eg If every game were Java based, it'd be portable but wouldn't be as fast as native code for the hardware. The situation would likely see even less use of hardware than the existing PC space with more structured supprt for different hardwares.

The dreamcast was quite good in the eyes of many. It started life much like the Xbox, it just didn't have its own Halo. That said, the SEGA name is something that people remember, rather than like.

Powderkeg said:
After the 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast, no one in their right mind would touch another Sega console.

Well they could just pretend that they were possessed by an alien entity right after the Genesis and just "wake up" and release a super super Genesis 2.

That would be cool.

london-boy said:
Well they could just pretend that they were possessed by an alien entity right after the Genesis and just "wake up" and release a super super Genesis 2.

That would be cool.

:LOL:

Wouldn't that be like AMC producing a Javalin 2 and hoping no one remembers the Gremlin and PacerX?

Powderkeg said:
:LOL:

Wouldn't that be like AMC producing a Javalin 2 and hoping no one remembers the Gremlin and PacerX?

Oh stop going geeky memorabilia on me! I hardly remember what my PS2 looks like! :devilish:

Though really, what would Sega bring that isn't available already. Another 3D console that can play a variety of games, just like XB360 and PS3, only with all Sega's exclusive conten?. So you buy your XB360 for Halo, and a PS3 for GT, and Revolution for Mario, and Sega Ubergenesis for Sonic, despite the fact just one of these machines is capable of running all the games. Doesn't that sound to you like needing different screwdrivers for different brands of flat-packed furniture, or different cars for different journeys? Does to me!

TEXAN said:
This guy will make the new console a guaranteed success -

http://www.sonicstadium.org/

Yeah... Can't wait...
bleh2.gif

Back