What if Sega-Sammy went into the home console business?

SLI 7800 GTX's.

Price it at 499-599.

Yep.

New "niche". LIke what Nintendo is going for, but different.

They'd have to do something different. Not just be going for the same Sony-MS market.

I would definatley get a another Sega Console. Make it happen Sammy..Sega...Sam....Seg...

Make it happen

:O

Bill said:
SLI 7800 GTX's.

Price it at 499-599.

Yep.

New "niche". LIke what Nintendo is going for, but different.

They'd have to do something different. Not just be going for the same Sony-MS market.

Where will they get the games?

It would just end up getting ports of games developed for the PS3 of X360, as the userbase would not be large enough to warrant a $20million dollar+ production budget.

scooby_dooby said:
Where will they get the games?

It would just end up getting ports of games developed for the PS3 of X360, as the userbase would not be large enough to warrant a $20million dollar+ production budget.

Yes they would get ports but I think they have a large catalog of first party titles that would be specific to that console. Also, for the first console they throw out, they can do it on a lower scale. Basically super updated old sega games, that alone would really get me excited.

Sure there will be lots of ports, those ports probably won't even be bought for that console but hopefully there would be alot of nostalgic game developers out their that are will to develop for a new Sega gaming console.

SNK-Playmore should go back to console hardware with a four NV50 or R600 GPUs in a new NEO-GEO system. Sammy-Sega support the machine strongly, with their best games. not officially a new Sega system but it would be in practice. :)

They should either partner with Apple to release a gaming iPOD or just adopt MBX as a primary platform and develop premier content for the hundreds of millions of MBX/SGX handhelds that will be sold within the next several years.

If xbox and gamecube being graphically far superior to the ps2 barely managed to scrape 20million units worlwide then both xbox360 and revolution being less powerfull than PS3 have zero chance in hell. I predict both of these systems will sell no more than 5-15 million units in there entire run.

In other words both these systems shall be their respective hardware vendors last home consoles.

So then, in 2010 only Sony shall remain, perfect opportunity for a second player (SEGA SAMMY) to enter.

Mark my words between 2010-2012 they shall return in time for the next next generation.

TEXAN said:
Mark my words between 2010-2012 they shall return in time for the next next generation.

teh s3ga pRophet!!!

I don't think Nintendo or Xbox will die off. Nintendo is still making sizeable profit off of Nintendo hardware and software. The Xbox is still in the process of truly spreading its wings. The Playstation is (sorta) an old timer thats in for the long run (you can say the cube is the same...but I wanted different comparisions for all of them).

But i'm all for a Sega console on the market. Though, 4 consoles on the market is a bit much, not only for the consumers but the developers also. Making sure Multi-Platform games span all four consoles will probably never happen.

TEXAN said:
If xbox and gamecube being graphically far superior to the ps2 barely managed to scrape 20million units worlwide then both xbox360 and revolution being less powerfull than PS3 have zero chance in hell. I predict both of these systems will sell no more than 5-15 million units in there entire run.

In other words both these systems shall be their respective hardware vendors last home consoles.

So then, in 2010 only Sony shall remain, perfect opportunity for a second player (SEGA SAMMY) to enter.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at that. I guess I'll laugh.

:LOL:

The more platforms that are viable, the better the multiplatform business model runs. The high cost of content development is diluted across more products.

Lazy,
Content creation costs might be diluted, but programming overhead for the various consoles goes up instead. Also, market is more or less constant anyway (number of console customers won't scale linearly with number of console manufacturers), so the only part the costs for programming can be takein is out of the profit margin...

Also consider: more multiplatform software spread across even more platforms is likely to mean even worse utilization of each platform's strength and over-reliance on the least common denominator, meaning lackluster visuals, dissatisfied customers and a possible loss of sales and market crash a la 1983, though likely on a lesser scale (likely to strike the weakest player(s) the hardest).

BlueTsunami said:
teh s3ga pRophet!!!

I don't think Nintendo or Xbox will die off. Nintendo is still making sizeable profit off of Nintendo hardware and software.

Handheld hardware and software. Even then that won't last for long as mobile phone gaming takes off within the coming months and years.

The Xbox is still in the process of truly spreading its wings.

The xbox barely sold being significantly more powerfull than the ps2 what makes you think the 360 shall compete being the weaker system? It will sell in the first month or two, every new product does, then johnny sixpack shall wait for PS3 and sales of xb360 will grind to a hault.

Trust me on this, XB360 fails to turn a profit AGAIN like the XB before it then there won't be another MS console. Simple as that.

Likewise if Rev is a third failure in a row for nintendo then there won't be another console from them either.

This is perfect for SEGA SAMMY, the less competition the better.

TEXAN said:
Handheld/console hardware and software. Even then that won't last for long as mobile phone gaming takes off within the coming months and years.

The xbox barely sold being significantly more powerfull than the ps2 what makes you think the 360 shall compete being the weaker system? It will sell in the first month or two, every new product does, then johnny sixpack shall wait for PS3 and sales of xb360 will grind to a hault.

Trust me on this, XB360 fails to turn a profit AGAIN like the XB before it then there won't be another MS console. Simple as that.

Likewise if Rev is a third failure in a row for nintendo then there won't be another console from them either.

GC has made more profit than PS2 and Xbox.

TEXAN said:
Handheld hardware and software. Even then that won't last for long as mobile phone gaming takes off within the coming months and years.

Mobile phones are eons away from being a serious competitor to any game machine.

The difference is timeframe, in the first generation XBOX came in way late and had to compete with an established product with 100's of games. XBOX made a lot of inroads in NA and established a pretty good playerbase with live.

If they only lose a billion a year, MS can keep it running indefinitely if they want. The losses from the xbox product are basically insignificant to their bottom line. However they have made a number of different choices on the product, it should lose less money per unit as a worst case scenario.

I don't think failure is the right word for Nintendo. They are profitable.

Back