what does this erroe mean?

Legend

Regular
Hi,
I get this error when starting a PC. when it does start, it freezes before long. I read the error messege but couldn' understand what was wrong. can anybody help?

error.JPG

thanks.

P.S. when I press Enter, I get the same messege again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an add-in network PCI card you have conflicts with something else. Try moving it to a different PCI slot.

you could also get to the BIOS, disable some stuff (COM ports, parallel port, floppy controller if you don't need them), which'll free some resource (IRQs, addresses, and a DMA) . Then see if it "sorts things out"
(that's cheap, but sometimes works)

so this is only hardware conflicting and not a virus or anything? the strange thing is that this problem just appeared out of no where that I thought it could be some malware.

so this is only hardware conflicting and not a virus or anything? the strange thing is that this problem just appeared out of no where that I thought it could be some malware.

i could have started happening if your BIOS was reset for some reason (weak BIOS battery, CPU overheated, power outage, ect) and the default settings had com ports or whatever enabled that you previously did not.

Or for that matter, maybe somehow you got the BIOS trying to manually allocate resources, best to leave it on auto.

Or if the card has failed and is no longer playing nice with PnP (had that happen with a modem way back when).

i could have started happening if your BIOS was reset for some reason (weak BIOS battery, CPU overheated, power outage, ect) and the default settings had com ports or whatever enabled that you previously did not.

that could just be it as this is a computer from work that is only (and I mean only) used to write Word documents on it. it is not connected to any kind of network and it certainly doesn't run any other applications (except that default card game that comes with Windows by some bored staff).

so the only solution for this is to re-install windows?
this isn't really my problem and I am not asked to fix this in any way. I am just curious about what went wrong and how could I fix it (if I can), especially seeing that this is a computer that sits virtually idol all of the time.

thanks for the input everyone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
that could just be it as this is a computer from work that is only (and I mean only) used to write Word documents on it. it is not connected to any kind of network and it certainly doesn't run any other applications (except that default card game that comes with Windows by some bored staff).

so the only solution for this is to re-install windows?
this isn't really my problem and I am not asked to fix this in any way. I am just curious about what went wrong and how could I fix it (if I can), especially this is a computer that sits virtually idol all of the time.

thanks for the input veryone. :)

no, you shouldn't have to re-install windows. you should be able to fix it in the bios, or if the network card is an add in card, just remove it if you aren't using it, or change the slot that it's in.

This problem is before Windows gets its grimy little hands on anything, so no, don't reinstall.

Take the network card out and toss it; they're $5 brand new.

Back