What does the 3DMark Score Represent?

Ingenu said:
So what does it test really ? 3 years in the future games ?
What's the point, I change my hardware every 2/3 years, so I don't care how well games will perform on my current system ...
I have no statistical data about the upgrade cycle of the average 3DMark user, but I assume 2/3 years would be rather the exception than the rule.

So all other things aside, if 3DMark could give an realistic outlook of the performance of future games it would be appreciated by a lot of people.

Freak'n Big Panda said:
Oh, that would explain why on the same system, a Radeon 7500 PCI is several times faster than a GeForce2 Ti.

Why would that explain anything? I mean the radeon 7500 does not support VS1.1 in hardware and still has to do it in software via the CPU. What advantage in 3dmark does the Radeon have over the GF2 GTS?

The Radeon 7500 says it has VS1.1 in its caps. Even if they are a software implementation, they are a lot faster than running in DX9 software mode (up to about 10 times faster for the simple shaders in the DX9 samples). This would explain the speed difference. The multitexture fill rate, as measured by 3DMark2001 is the same for the Ti with two textures and the 7500 with three. For single texturing and dual texturing, the 7500 is significantly slower.

2/3 years = 2 to 3 years.

Knowing how often do 3DMark03 users upgrade their PCs would indeed, be usefull to see how valuable 3DMark03 is for them.

The younger will prolly like to say 'my 3DMark03 score is bigger than yours', but that's not enough to make it valuable :p

Ostsol said:
What does the 3dMark score represent? Penis size.

I think it's quite the contrary.

People showing off with their 3dMark score are certainly compensating...

Hyp-X said:
Ostsol said:
What does the 3dMark score represent? Penis size.

I think it's quite the contrary.

People showing off with their 3dMark score are certainly compensating...

pvp20030116.gif

Heheheh. . . ;)

It is an attempt to quantify BOTH PERFORMANCE AND FEATURES. I see nothing wrong with this approach...other than FutureMark failing to sufficiently advertise the benchmark in that way.

Surely, we can agree what FutureMark is trying to do is weigh scores by overall "goodness"- but the debate then focuses on- By who's measuring stick?.

The problems arise when a deemed feature (be it by 7% or 33% or whatever) is given weight in "goodness" yet pans out to have 0% "goodness" for all of eternity.

A good example is 3dmark2000, where "goodness" quotient runneth over with fixed function HW T&L, which to this day still does not attribute performance, especially in light of how the benchmark was coded.

How the benchmark is coded also brings to the forefront the effort and time required to implement a feature in a sane and reasonable way for a game engine versus a very fixed and static benchmark demo. Obviously, if a programmer is determined to spend 2 years coding a static path of 2-3 minutes of a scene, they may be more inclined to use a feature in such a way that would be unrealistic for a game engine, from which all graphics coding, AI, content, sound/music and artistry is only on a 6 to 14 month schedule. You have 10x the amount of detail, dynamics and other conditions that are totally different from the needs of writing a static, fixed path demo. We see this, again, with 3dmark2000 (and to some degree 3dmark2001) where fixed function, 2-vertex straining is performed for 95% of the scene geometry as the benchmark is static/small and this is sane for the time frame, where such an equivalent effort would take 5+ years for a dynamic game engine.

There is nothing wrong with a benchmark being "forward looking"- but it has to do so within sane and legal boundries. It is not "forward looking" to expect a game developer to spend 5+ years coding a dynamic game engine to utilize features to the extent a fixed-path, static demo may afford. It's also not "forward looking" if the techniques used differ so dramatically from techniques used in dynamic game engines or if features used stand little to no chance of ever being implemented. I believe these are just a few issues with 3DMark compared to the game market.

The problems arise when a deemed feature (be it by 7% or 33% or whatever) is given weight in "goodness" yet pans out to have 0% "goodness" for all of eternity.

Agreed...and thus is the inherent difficulty of putting together a "forward looking benchmark."

You don't really know how relevant it will be until the future "Arrives." That doesn't mean a benchmark is inherently bad because it tries....especially when it does so with the input of all the major IHVs.

It's also not "forward looking" if the techniques used differ so dramatically from techniques used in dynamic game engines or if features used stand little to no chance of ever being implemented.

On the other hand, it cannot be discounted as NOT forward looking, just because one IHV says the techniques are not relevant for the future....

Joe DeFuria said:
Actually, I would say it tests for "when games actually use pixel shading techniques in a global way." (Not just a patch of water here, a shiny car there, but being applied to the scene globally.)

In short, when will games like Doom3 arrive?

And as Ingenu said, the problem is that game test 2 and 3 are supposed to be somewhat similiar to Doom3 type of rendering. Yet runs 5-10 times slower. (I have the leaked alpha and even in that early state, it runs WAY better then the game tests).

Imo, that's pretty misleading and not really good for the consumers in any way.

I'll move some of my thoughts from yesterday into this thread, I guess...I think they are pertinent to the discussion:

demalion said:
I'd say the overall result is a good indication of using all feature in combination...the problem is not the result, it is the assumption that has been fostered that it is representative of games at the time. In this case, with 3d gaming evolution taking a relatively predictable (as far as the focus on shader performance, if not the methodology and architectures for achieving it) path in the future, I'd say 3dmark03 is looking to be much more applicable to future gaming (when looked at as completely different than a gaming benchmark) than 3dmark 2001 was.

I'd say an idea like being able to scale "fallback modes" to see at what levels older cards might perform acceptably might be a good idea, but that would just bring us to 3dmark 2001 again (which was one big "fallback mode").

I'll just point out, as worm probably would, that 3dmark 2001 is still there for that...

demalion said:
Sections that HotHardware state are excerpts from the comments nVidia are circulating about 3dmark03:

nvidia said:
"3DMark03 combines custom artwork with a custom rendering engine that creates a set of demo scenes that, while pretty, have very little to do with actual games. It is much better termed a demo than a benchmark. The examples included in this report illustrate that 3DMark03 does not represent games, can never be used as a stand-in for games, and should not be used as a gamers’ benchmark."

Well, this just strikes me as hypocrisy, but I tend to still agree. What I think has changed compared to 3dmark 2001 is that all vendors are playing the shader performance game (or intend to), and benchmarks limited by shader functionality is a more predictable criteria for indicating future performance since the methods of exploiting it going forward will depend on the same fundamental benefit to a large degree (how fast basic shader instructions can be executed). The issue I see as far as that goes is whether the techniques used are optimal, or atleast reasonably optimal for a wide variety of cards...

nvidia said:
"Unfortunately, Futuremark chose a flight simulation scene for this test (game 1). This genre of games is not only a small fraction of the game market (approximately 1%), but utilizes a simplistic rendering style common to this genre. Further, the specific scene chosen is a high altitude flight simulation, which is indicative of only a small fraction of that 1%."

Well, it seems similar to space sims as well as flight sims to me, and that might grow the 1% figure a bit (where are the percents for the game types they would have preferred to put it into perspective, and the recognition of the weighting of this test in the score?). And what is the "game market"? Games of the type sold altogether, or 3D games? Is it percentage of game owners who play flight simulators (perhaps the number of actual importance for determining the applicability of the test), or the percentage of games sold that are flight sims? Is that 1% as "pulled out of a stinky place" as it sounds to me, or is it based on even one of the questionable, but real, determinations above?

Their argument strikes me as a red herring...if I were to attack its applicability as an indicator of game performance, I'd focus on whether the flight modelling was as demanding on the CPU as it would be in an actual flight simulator.
But as far as I'm concerned, 3dmarks have never been a good indication of game performance, and the blind adherence to it as such was not any more correct when nvidia profited from it. What I've hoped for it to be is a good indicator of graphics card power that the user could learn to more accurately use as part of an evaluation when comparing cards. The problem was, in my view, that the previous 3dmark (except synthetic tests) couldn't even serve that function well. In my view, due to shaders, the game tests have become more like "complex synthetic tests" than they could have been prior, and as such the results are more useful...but, then the actual fps values would serve too, or perhaps even better, using frame based rendering and determining time to completion. Hmm...I really like the idea of the last for the shader tests...keeps things in the proper proportion in my view (think back to the UT 2003 thread for my reasoning :p ). The added bonus of this is that the "mindless" 3dmark mentality might be circumvented a little bit.

nvidia said:
"For all intents and purposes game tests 2 and 3 are the same test. They use the same rendering paths and the same feature set. The sole difference in these tests appears to be the artwork. This fact alone raises some questions about breadth of game genres addressed by 3DMark03. --- These two tests attempt to duplicate the “Z-fi"rst†rendering style used in the upcoming first-person shooter game, “Doom 3â€. They have a “Doom-like†look, but use a bizarre rendering method that is far from Doom 3 or any other known game application."

I wish nvidia would provide the infor analyzing this. This "bizarre rendering method" could be a valid concern... or a complaint about PS 1.4 functionality and architectural failings with the GF FX with a heavy spin.

nvidia said:
"Finally, the choice of pixel shaders in game tests 2 and 3 is also odd. These tests use ps1.4 for all the pixel shaders in the scenes. Fallback versions of the pixel shaders are provided in ps1.1 for hardware that doesn’t support ps1.4. Conspicuously absent from these scenes, however, is any ps1.3 pixel shaders. Current DirectX 8.0 (DX8) games, such as Tiger Woods and Unreal Tournament 2003, all use ps1.1 and ps1.3 pixel shaders. Few, if any, are using ps1.4."

This strikes me as quite the tremendous smoke screen, with, again, a notable absence of logical consistency with the CineFX push. Also striking is the odd feeling of "shoe on the other foot"-itis in regards to ps 1.4, but I also still think it raises an important issue...

A simple question: can PS 1.3 reduce the number of passes for the techniques likely used in 3dmark, or in some other way enhance performance significantly over 1.1? I know Carmack's comments don't make me think so right now.

A not so simple question: could a HLSL compiler offer performance advantages for a "ps 1.1 compatible" shader compiled to a ps 1.3 target?

On this issue, I might end up being in complete agreement with nvidia, depending on the answers to these questions, especially the latter.

nvidia said:
"This year’s 3DMark has a new nature scene (game 4). It is intended to represent the new DirectX 9.0 (DX9) applications targeted for release this year. The key issue with this game scene is that it is barely DX9.

Heh, what constitutes "barely DX 9"? I'm suspecting it is using shader 2.0 functionality instead of "2.0+". Despite all sorts of hypocrisy and spin alarm bells going off, I'd be inclined to agree if there are opportunities for "2.0+" to improve functionality significantly. I certainly had similar feelings about the prior nature scene and the various issues of scoring (which I don't think is as much of an issue this time around, as we're on the cusp of shader enabled games appearing) and failure to be optimized for higher capability (which I feel could very well still apply, as I strongly feel that this test at the very least should have been a HLSL showcase).

Bjorn said:
Joe DeFuria said:
Actually, I would say it tests for "when games actually use pixel shading techniques in a global way." (Not just a patch of water here, a shiny car there, but being applied to the scene globally.)

In short, when will games like Doom3 arrive?

And as Ingenu said, the problem is that game test 2 and 3 are supposed to be somewhat similiar to Doom3 type of rendering. Yet runs 5-10 times slower. (I have the leaked alpha and even in that early state, it runs WAY better then the game tests).

Imo, that's pretty misleading and not really good for the consumers in any way.

I'm going to quote myself again, not because I'm trying to insinuate that you didn't read something, but because I'm lazy. :p Italic for words added for clarity, and some bold emphasis added for addressing your comments:

demalion said:
Hmm...I think the benchmarks are more representative than 3dmark ever was before, though the proportions may not be.

The workload as far as I can tell (not having actually run it yet myself, just going by the Rage3D comparison ;) ) is balanced towards achieving a set level of quality if a card can at all, and as such is quite representative of the performance disparity between the cards in question. In actual games, the quality would be reduced to achieve acceptable performance, and that would not be a helpful practice in a benchmark. If games run on a 8500 tried to use all the features that the same games running on a 9700 would use and get 30 fps, I'd think it would crawl just as much as 3dmark03.

So, I'm actually of the mind that due to the nature of 3D gaming's upcoming evolution with regards to shaders, and the significant shader performance increase growth likely to be offered in future cards, that 3dmark03's approach is the best way for a benchmark to perform when focusing on that type of functionality. While the data is scarce and hasn't had a chance to demonstrate applicability, a 9700 Pro scoring near 4 times an 8500 score seems very reasonable to me.

Then again, I don't have my ego wrapped up very tightly at all in my "3dmark size", so I'm sure the vast majority of users will not share my opinion. However, other valid reasons besides ego bruising :p might exist for disagreement... :?:

demalion said:
Hmm...I think the benchmarks are more representative than 3dmark ever was before, though the proportions may not be.

Well, i am a bit lazy (just ask my girlfriend). Didn't feel like quoting your entire post here either.

Anyway, am i right in that what you're saying is that it's ok with 3-5 or more times lower performance then Doom3 since the proportion between the different cards is (might be perhaps) correct ?

Anyway, am i right in that what you're saying is that it's ok with 3-5 or more times lower performance then Doom3 since the proportion between the different cards is (might be perhaps) correct ?

I don't know if that's what he's saying, but I would agree with that statement. It's the relative performance that matters most. (This is why the 3DMark score is given in "3DMarks", and not FPS.)

And for the record, when I tried the Doom3 alpha...it was only as good or worse than the 3DMark DX8 tests on my rig....

Bjorn said:
demalion said:

Well, i am a bit lazy (just ask my girlfriend). Didn't feel like quoting your entire post here either.

Hmm...I'm more saying that I'd give two examples of how to do an apples to apples benchmark between, for example, the 8500 and 9700:
  • Write code to run acceptably on the 8500 using common functionality and let the 9700 perform really well without breaking a sweat.
  • Write code to run acceptably on the 9700 using common functionality and have the 8500 show its limitations.

I'm saying the goal of Doom3 (and other games) is different in that it is not trying to do an apples to apples comparison between different levels of functionality, it is trying to get acceptable performance on each and will reduce the workload for the 8500 where applicable to achieve this. (I'm also indicating that this is why the performance is so low on "DX 8" level cards that are out).

Further, it is my opinion this benchmark behavior is successfully accomplished in 3dmark03 because of the focus on shaders and their evolution going forward, using effects that can't be reasonably done otherwise, while 3dmark 2001 's accomplishment of this goal was much inferior due to various factors.
See my comments I quoted just before my reply to you for a list of those factors, especially the responses to nvidia's commentary which recognize that we might need more information to determine whether 3dmark03 might still have similar problems to 3dmark 2001 as nvidia is stating (currently, it just strikes me as a smear campaign).

Grall said:
Why is vertex shaders used in game test 1? That's just silly, there's ZERO deformation of models going on in that test. Using vertex shaders just penalizes older DX7 hardware when their on-board T&L engines could have done exactly as good a job as vertex shaders.

There's all the reason in the world to use vertex shaders with DX7 texturing. Most per pixel effects need the texture coordinates set in specific ways -- per vertex. Other effects possible with vertex shaders and standard texturing include glow and fur. Even particle systems are most easily handled with vertex shaders.

Since most cards sold today come with reasonably high performance vertex shaders, either hardware or software, doing things using vertex shaders is a practical way for developers to go.

Though not strictly on topic can someone tell me why on the tests if you cannot use pixel shader 1.4 and therefore you have to use 1.1-- THEN WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO MORE POLYGONS as well ?

I just can't grasp that .. is their a technical reason for it ? If that was in a game the game developer would include less polygons to speed it up, no ?

Maybe I am being slow.

I like 3DM03 as a pure benchmarking competition program, but they even manage to stuff that up by putting different cards in the same bracket, ie 9500 and 9700. Poor sods with 9500's!

3dmark2001SE was very good for seeing if your entire system was on par with everybody elses or something was sick with yours and let you correct it. This just sees if your video card is sick...

If games start to use a lot of pixel shaders in the next two years and video cards get advanced enough so that cpu limitations come into play then it will be judged a success. If games go off at a tangent to 3DM03 then it will become irrelevant.

Regards

Andy

-- THEN WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO MORE POLYGONS as well ?

This is a consequence of doing things in "multiple passes." It's not actually rendering more polygons on the scene. It has to "re-render" the same polygons each time a separate pass is taken.

This is also how Doom3 works.

On GeForce3/4 hardware, more polygons are "re-rendered" than the Radeon 8500, because the 8500 can do more in a "single pass".

Note that this doesn't mean that the 8500 is faster in the end.

demalion said:
Hmm...I'm more saying that I'd give two examples of how to do an apples to apples benchmark between, for example, the 8500 and 9700:
  • Write code to run acceptably on the 8500 using common functionality and let the 9700 perform really well without breaking a sweat.
  • Write code to run acceptably on the 9700 using common functionality and have the 8500 show its limitations.

I'm saying the goal of Doom3 (and other games) is different in that it is not trying to do an apples to apples comparison between different levels of functionality, it is trying to get acceptable performance on each and will reduce the workload for the 8500 where applicable to achieve this. (I'm also indicating that this is why the performance is so low on "DX 8" level cards that are out).

Further, it is my opinion this benchmark behavior is successfully accomplished in 3dmark03 because of the focus on shaders and their evolution going forward, using effects that can't be reasonably done otherwise, while 3dmark 2001 's accomplishment of this goal was much inferior due to various factors.
See my comments I quoted just before my reply to you for a list of those factors, especially the responses to nvidia's commentary which recognize that we might need more information to determine whether 3dmark03 might still have similar problems to 3dmark 2001 as nvidia is stating (currently, it just strikes me as a smear campaign).

Ok, well, i agree with you with regards to making a "correct" benchmark. But, as correct as it may be, what will it tell us about performance in future Doom 3 type of games ?

Back