What do I need? Video Capture/editing

Raze

Newcomer
Hope this is the right section.

I am thinking about starting up a gaming site, and thought I would pick your brains as you guys know everything about graphics :cool:

What kind of set-up do I need to capture video game footage, I guess a capture card and a decent graphics card?

Any recommendations/suggestions re hardward/software?

Anyone experienced in this area that might want to get invovled? Anyone able to do gametrailer type sequences etc? (Is there a different site more suited to this type of thing?)

Any help appreciated
Thanks!

If you want to capture video footage from a PC game, you can use FRAPS. It can do high resolution capture with lossless compression. It works best with dual core CPU and PCI express video card.

For console game video, you need a capture card and connect the S-video output of the video game console to the capture card. Most TV capture card can do this, but you may want to find a quality one.

After capturing the footage, you can use any video editing software to edit the footage. Windows Movie Maker is free if you use Windows XP.

Thanks pcchen thats got me inthe right direction. Although I will need a card that can take hdmi/componant inputs too, and I guess the pc will need Scsi HDs and hefty memory. Thanks again for replying, if anyone can add anything that would be great too :)

Some TV capture cards have component input, but very few (in any) have HDMI input. There are DVI capture boards, but they are extremely expensive. Furthermore, I don't think a SCSI HDD is really needed. What you may want is large capacity. Current SATA HDDs are generally fast enough for capturing normal video.

Thanks for the info :)

I've heard a new card from Matrox (http://www.matrox.com/video/home.cfm) will be affordable enough for the semi pro user.. around £1000. But you also need a graphics card with 512mb! (plus plenty of ram). I guess at least costs are coming down if nothing else.

If anyone finds a more affordable solution I'm all ears :)

Back