What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting back into City of Heroes again. Haven't played it in quite a while, and thought I'd give it a whirl again.

They've definitely improved the game significantly since I last played about two years ago. Plus some new high-end content is coming in a week or so :)

Did you ever try Champions Online? Interesting power and crafting system and by far the best hero creator out there.

Speaking of Hero MMO's, I had a chance to look at that DC Universe.... wow what a piece of garbage. Woefully limited character creator and the game is definitely targeted at easy console play.

Did you ever try Champions Online? Interesting power and crafting system and by far the best hero creator out there.
Yeah, I played that for a while. Got a bit bored once my hero hit the max level, though. So I stopped playing a bit ago. But yes, Champions Online definitely has a lot going for it. It just doesn't have the depth of content that City of Heroes has. At least, not yet.

Speaking of Hero MMO's, I had a chance to look at that DC Universe.... wow what a piece of garbage. Woefully limited character creator and the game is definitely targeted at easy console play.
Heh, I didn't even give it a first glance. As a rule, I tend to stay away from most works derived on such popular licenses. So not too surprising.

In X3 Reunion I bought a Teladi M2 Phoenix destroyer. The damn 10GJ shield recharges several times faster than any other M2 and the Phoenix can mount GPPC on front turrets making it a deadly tank. Sure it is kinda ugly, is slow and huge but it cuts through enemy capital ships like no other. Took it out to an Xenon sector to test it out (AI 2nd lieutenant handling it) and it crushed several Xenon Js. Since my Phoenix was outfitted with 32 GPPC and 4 BPPC it didnt have much against the M3+ ships but that was no problem as my Pranid M1 Zues carrier with it's AFLAK and GPSG did short work of them taking down 5-10 at the same time while taking over malfunctioning ships to direct to it's hangar.

Anyway looking at the setor map I noticed an Xenon J carrier that had it's AI smoked. 2x1GJ shields left and 30% hull aswell as several GPPC and BPPC. First tiem ever I've seen a capital ship abandoned/AI dead. Took it over.. hehe.

I can't go back to Reunion after Terran Conflict.. :)
However, I'm pretty happy as long as I have a M7 Teladi Shrike, 4-6 x HEPT (For anti-fighter and piracy) and atleast 2 x IBL (Incedinary Bomb Launchers) for capital foes, in main laser bay, and tractor beam for station-moving.. :p Anti-fighter cannons on gun-turrets (Might have Gauss cannons in shoulder turrets depending on my IBL-situation). It got a small Hangar for my Fighter, and it cuts through everything pretty handily except the bigger Khaak capitals, wich is a struggle since they usually comes in pairs, and it's impossible to dodge their lasers.

The bigger and more powerfull ships, just go to slow, and I'm not particulary good with wing-management, missiles and turrets.

Never seen a bailed capital before, I've heard that it can happen extremely rarely with the NPC bailing add-on tough. :-/ Think I read that it's something like 0.001% chance.. :p
Are you running that and improved races or something?

didnt realize there was fire and smoke out in space

The sun is a pretty big fireball, and it's out in space.. :-/

But I assume that you think it's strange that there should be fire from the explosions, and smoke after the ship wich were hit, due to space beeing a vacuum..

Fire is one of the most dangerous things on a space-craft, and if something expolodes it is in great danger for breaching the hull, and since the designers probably dosn't have vacum on the inside of the ship, then pressurised air will flow outside to space, and you will see something that looks like smoke trails, wich most likely is vapourised water and gases, coming from the breach in the shuttle wich where shot.

I tried out Champions Online after playing CoX for 4-5 years..
Looked really forward to it beeing from the same developer, but ended up thinking it were really bad. Characther creation were good, but everything else horrible.
Team organising were much worse, targetting were horrible, half the time it didn't want to target the enemies, and mission rewards were boring, and in general it were a horrible experience. Only played to level 13-14, and never loaded it in again.

Think I'm going to give DC Universe a try aswell tough, if they time it at a time when nothing else comes out. :p
They deserve some goodwill after putting out the best trailer ever.. :p

I think you're the first person I've met in RL or online that has liked Champions Online. :) I couldn't stand it myself. It had some promise, but fell flat on most everything. Character creation was certainly a high point. But a lot of the powers for the different disciplines were just carbon copies of each other with very minor differences.

Regards,
SB

So like if I was to play X3 or whatever because it is tempting, where should I start? I feel lost and afraid. I need someone to wrap big muscley arms around me and tell me how to get started with X ?? 3?? Or what should I try first?

So like if I was to play X3 or whatever because it is tempting, where should I start? I feel lost and afraid. I need someone to wrap big muscley arms around me and tell me how to get started with X ?? 3?? Or what should I try first?

Everyone is suggesting to go straight to X3. I bought X2 before X3 and spent some quality time building up my wealth and visiting multiple sectors even though graphics wasn't that good. X3 brings more quality into every aspect of the game so therefore I will go with the flow and suggest you X3 :smile:

I'd recomend just jump right into 'X3 - Terran Conflict', and make your own story.
It's the most accessible game for beginners.
First thing that happen in that game you'll be hailed by a ship calling itself 'Flight School'
And menu's and similar are more easy to get to. :)

Give it a few hundred hours in vanilla, before changing the game up with mods.
You'll have knowledge of what your changing by downloading the various mods for the game, but you can also break the balance of the game, even tough most mods have their own costs. :)

X2 - The Threat, and X3 - Reunion is also playable, by today's standards, while the two games before that in the franchise is having a very dated game-engine with bad graphics and clunky controls, I think.

I tought The Threat and Reunion had better game-stories, (it's a overarching story wich continues throughout the franchise), but Terran Conflict, had more of it, and much cooler rewards when you finnish a story arch. :)

There is also a fantastic player-community at egosoft-forums.
You'll most likely get help within seconds, if you ask anything. :)

Are there any good World War I-based shooters? I suddenly feel like playing one. Also, I'm tempted to try my hand at some of the classic (or modern, classic-style?) tabletop-style wargames. I played a bunch of the SSI ones growing up and was never reallly impressed compared to my Avalon Hill boardgames, but I've always held out hope. A video game version of TSR's Line in the Sand would be pretty cool, too... Seems like these days, there should just be modding toolkits for this sort of thing.

Are there any good World War I-based shooters? I suddenly feel like playing one. Also, I'm tempted to try my hand at some of the classic (or modern, classic-style?) tabletop-style wargames. I played a bunch of the SSI ones growing up and was never reallly impressed compared to my Avalon Hill boardgames, but I've always held out hope. A video game version of TSR's Line in the Sand would be pretty cool, too... Seems like these days, there should just be modding toolkits for this sort of thing.

WWI shooters wouldn't be fun because after 15 kills you'd get the mustard gas and you've won.

When it comes to best table-top to PC conversion.. I'd actually choose one that isn't. Hearts of Iron II. It is exactly how I envisioned Axis and Allies would also be on a PC. Maybe someone can say if they like III better than two, but HOI-II Armageddon lets you play WWII from 1934 to 1964, and there are even third party expansions (Iron Cross) that mod the game with a bigger map and deeper AI etc.

Are there any good World War I-based shooters?

Only one that sort of fits the bill

IronStorm - World War Zero

Set in an alternate history in which World War I never ended, the game takes place in 1964, the 50th year of the war, and focuses on an Allied soldier's mission to stop the Russo-Mongolian Empire from developing nuclear weapons and his later efforts to end the war.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/iron_storm

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'll try these games out, but I have to admit, after a few weeks with Victoria and the latest incarnation of EU, I'm not really eager to play another Paradox game. They're both pretty good, actually, but they all have sort of the same look and feel... Doesn't have to be modern. Could be any old wargame. Doesn't have to be overarching campaign-style (though this is ordinarily a big plus for me). Just in the mood for a really good turn-based strat title.

Had been watching Band of Brothers a few weeks ago, since I am currently TV and internet-less at my new house. After finishing watching the series, well actually watching the first disc, I got an itching for some WWII games, played through Company of Heroes and then moved onto Brothers in Arms, whatever the newest one is. Now I'm back into RTS mode and started World in Conflict. Probably going to move onto Supreme Commander afterwards and then go back to my roots of Command & Conquer, Red Alert, RA2, Yuri's Revenege and move up through the series.

Just got Just Cause 2, currently just 7.50 on Steam (part of Treasure hunt).

I loved the demo and the full game is great (and pretty!) :) Don't know why i waited so long but this price now leaves no excuse :)

Just can't seem to stop playing World of Tanks beta.

Grinding some tanks towards a bigger tank can be a downer but there are a bunch that are just plain fun to use at any level.
Most tanks suck brand new but with upgrades become much more useful.

Just recently got Panther. Sucks so far but should be better once I have upgraded turret so I can use the long 88mm gun researched for Tiger already & already have engine/radio upgrades researched from Tiger/Jagdpanther.

Also after a looong grind with the KV tank (slow & a soft target for bigger tanks but sometimes gets to dominate smaller tanks when the matchmaking system is cooperating) I have now gotten possibly the best artillery in game the S-51 :D

S-51 is actually surprisingly a good source of money :cool:
Panther is a cash drain, costs a bomb to repair but S-51 is dirt cheap to fix.
Even though the ammo is expensive there isn't much of it & reload is slow enough you're unlikely to run out in most matches & being artillery you tend to get a bunch of hits/kills = good cash.

been on a rpg kick recently
played gothic 4 sort of gotihc 3 lite
then played risen it took a lot to keep playing it at the start it didnt grab me and I really had to force myself to keep playing. thankfully it got better, but it is quite buggy, cheating on some of the quests no doubt added to the bugginess (scripts not triggering ect) looking back on it it was quite enjoyable though once it got going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back