What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried it out at a friends place. It's not the SC that I know and love (first couple) but it's not horrible either. I've heard that online co-op can be configured to play a lot more like the first games in the series though. That wasn't enough to convince me to buy it however.

Regards,
SB

Tried out ME1 on PC last night. It's very good, though naturally not as good as the ME2 PC demo I played a couple months back.

I think it's a much better game personally. ME2 just feels so effin small in comparison. The ME1 illusion of having the ability to explore the galaxy is most definitely gone. The planets may have been bland, but they did serve a purpose regardless. And what's up with that pathetic excuse for a story in ME2.

I'm playing King's Bounty: Armored Princess at the moment. I didn't play the first game, but I probably should have. The game is just damn hard.

I think it's a much better game personally. ME2 just feels so effin small in comparison. The ME1 illusion of having the ability to explore the galaxy is most definitely gone. The planets may have been bland, but they did serve a purpose regardless. And what's up with that pathetic excuse for a story in ME2.
I don't actually agree with that. With most star systems having at least one place you can visit, ME2 doesn't have that many fewer locations than ME1 had, but the content quality for the places you can visit is much higher.

My feeling is that both games have their strengths and weaknesses. There's a lot I like more about ME2, and a few things I like less. I think the combat system feels more natural, for instance, and actually prefer the simplified leveling system (because I spend less time fiddling with it). But I think the scanning minigame is stupid and annoying, and the overall story is rather subpar compared to what it was in ME1. ME2 spreads itself too thin with too many party NPC's with their own personal stories taking up the majority of the game. I mean, the NPC quests are great and all, but it gives the game an unfocused feeling.

Anyway, personally, I'm currently playing through Half-Life 2. I missed this when it came out because I hated the whole Steam integration thing. I still do, but I finally gave in because a) I bought it online, where the integration is a little less onerous, b) this sort of integration is in nearly every game released nowadays, so my resistance seemed a little dated, even though it still pisses me off, and c) Portal really caught my attention not too long ago, and I wanted to check it out. HL2 is quite a good game. It's been a while since I played an FPS, with the previous ones being FEAR and Far Cry. By contrast, HL2 really felt old-school, borrowing more from older FPS games like the original Half-Life, the Quake series, and Unreal: unrealistic weapon damage, the ability to carry massive quantities of weapons/ammo, health packs. But the addition of the gravity gun especially makes HL2 fun, though the vehicles add a bit to that too.

Makes me wonder if Valve is working on another product in the Half-Life franchise currently (there was a major cliffhanger at the end of HL2: Episode 2, but that was released 3 years ago...).

I got round to reinstalling Borderlands in order to finish some of the DLC. Mad Moxies Underdome is an arena tournament, and General Knox's Armoury is another mini-campaign with a lot of sidequests. While both were quite a bit of fun, things have been artificially lengthened by the lack of sensible saves.

With Underdome, you have to play 5 waves of 5 levels in three arenas. Quit at any arena and you have to start that arena again. Get killed during a match, and you have to start again from the beginning of the previous level. You do get a new bank to stash your favourite loot.

Knox always has you spawning at one new town, and from there you have to do a lot of driving and walking to get anywhere. Later, you end up ignoring stuff and just driving everywhere at high speed to get to the places you want to go to just because otherwise it takes forever to get anywhere. They really could have done with a few teleport stations in this DLC.

All of this has tempted me to start a second playthrough (something that I very rarely do, but it's been a fair while since I played it through the first time) in order to carry on levelling and to get better loot.

There is also another, more comprehensive DLC coming at the end of the month, a pretty substantial new campaign Claptrap's New Robot Revolution, which should be a good laugh.

Played Leliana's Song and Witch Hunt, both DLCs for Dragon Age, which got me back in the mood for that game. So I started the expansion, Awakening, over for the second time. Didn't feel like importing any of my DA toons, and I never had a mage build I liked, so started from scratch. Only bad thing is, you don't start with piles of gold and better equipment.

I'm enjoying Awakening a lot more this 2nd time through. I miss the more involved party NPC interactions, but Justice and Anders are pretty enjoyable. I'm a bit of a completist, so I enjoy hitting the side quests I missed on the first play through. Got all the Fade tear and stone quests in Blackmarsh, so Justice has that full armor set this time. Put him at like 46% fatigue for his abilities, but looks incredible.

In the off-chance someone here might know, since some of the regulars are pretty hard core RPG players. I need a regular diamond in DA: Awakening and can't find one for Wade's Worked to the Bone quest (making the sword Vigilance). I know I've found some and sold them to merchants, but now naturally none of the merchants (and I've checked every single one) have any for sale/resale. I've cleared out Blackmarsh and the Wending Woods, and done all of the city quests. So unless there's one in the Deep Roads/Last of the Legion areas, I'm probably screwed. Unless there's a mod available that would let me drop a diamond into my inventory.

If you're up there, Superman, please save me!

Hey John, sorry I can't help you with your predicament. IIRC storekeeps except the caravan lose any items you sell there when you leave the area; did you try the wikia? BTW, how would you rate Witch Hunt? Worth the asking price?

Also, anyone, I found ME2 retail for 20 euros. Worth it?

Hey John, sorry I can't help you with your predicament. IIRC storekeeps except the caravan lose any items you sell there when you leave the area;

Actually, the merchants appear to keep what's been sold to them.

did you try the wikia?

Yeah, no luck there.

BTW, how would you rate Witch Hunt? Worth the asking price?

Leliana's Song is the only DA DLC that's worth the price, IMO.

Definitely.

Even got ME for ME2, just to get my character back story :)
(If you can get ME cheap, I'd advise getting it for that very reason.)

There's a Mass Effect 2 DEMO ! (free!!!)

Just get it and play through to get the feeling of the game, experience varies a lot depending on your class, so I suggest you try all the classes in the demo before starting the game :)

Playing Oblivion right now ( kind of late, but you can't play them all new). It is like Fallout 3, but with swords and magic. :smile: I am not normally a hack n slash kind of guy, but I thought I would try it for $20. Now I am thinking of trying Dragon Age. I played both Mass Effect games, and I was wondering if the basic gameplay is similiar.

I also recently picked up and started playing Borderlands. Good thing it was only $10, because it just does not seem to be doing it for me. Which is odd, since if a game has guns and grenades I normally like it.

Jim

Now I am thinking of trying Dragon Age. I played both Mass Effect games, and I was wondering if the basic gameplay is similiar.
Sorta kinda. I'd say you can definitely see the similarities, but DA isn't quite as similar to ME as Oblivion is to Fallout 3. At least in my opinion. The combat is definitely much more strategy-oriented than it was in ME, with the player just issuing commands instead of actually performing actions like in ME. The atmosphere and combat feels, to me, much more like a cross between the old-school Baldur's Gate series and the slightly more recent Knights of the Old Republic. The overall story telling mechanics are very similar in all these games, though.

I also recently picked up and started playing Borderlands. Good thing it was only $10, because it just does not seem to be doing it for me. Which is odd, since if a game has guns and grenades I normally like it.

Jim

Borderlands warms up once you get out of the first area. By then you have the teleport and car system up and running. There are also a few tweaks you can make in the ini files to make it more PC friendly, such as disabling the mouse smoothing, setting v-sync, increasing FOV, etc. Here is the tweaking guide.

Or you can use the Borderlands Config Editor.

*gasp*, this thread made it onto the second page!

I finally played my first online scII match, and that quickly turned into 50 games. Fun. And I decided I'd check out what the fuss was about minecraft during the 'free weekend'. Between those two time-budget-for-gaming consuming things, my interest in all other games has seemed to evaporate.

Which is good, I was buying too much crap fishing for 'the magic'. I never used to leave my games unfinished, and I now have quite a few.

Every now and then I enjoy some Halo: Reach.

On the PC, it's mostly the built in Win 7 games while I wait for PC-type tasks to finish or videos to download.

Playing discovering some of my old games boxes in the cupboard under the stairs inbetween having a carpet fitted
because the gap between the cupboard door and the floor is only about 2mm its the only time i can get into it
cupboard is about 5 foot high and what you cant see is the boxes are 3 layers deep

Some more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back