Website's that you used to visit, but don't anymore

Zaphod said:
Gone Gold, back in the day. I (am kind of glad that I) stopped visiting for some reason before the decline, closure, and subsequent flamewars (or so I'm told).

I remember Gone Gold way back when. Whatever happened to that site? It just stopped updating and I stopped going.

CMAN said:
I remember Gone Gold way back when. Whatever happened to that site? It just stopped updating and I stopped going.

When Rich LaPorte's health got really bad he had someone running the site for him, but when that person left last year I think the decision was made to just close shop.

linthat22 said:
Just kinda curious as to what website's ya'll used to visit, but stopped doing so for one reason or another.

Mine is Voodoo Extreme. I used to go to that website way back in the hayday when 3Df/x was on top of the world and then some. After they switched to IGN I quit going to that site. It just wasn't the same place anymore.

Now, someone else's turn.

Heh, VE3D here, too. After Billy left (may he rest in peace), the site was never the same again, fun-wise.

Deepak said:
...snip...
Gamesradar (died?)
Firingsquad (too many graphics)
If by Gamesradar you're referring to Dailyradar, then yes it ceased operations in mid 2001 after the dot com bubble burst -- Gamesradar apparently still exists as the corporate lovechild of MSN and Future Publishing, but bears nothing to the Radar heydeys of Tom Chick et al in 2000.

I still read Brandon's video card reviews and Alan Dang's multimedia/HTPC articles, as well as the odd gaming review from Jakub, but the site has become noticably cluttered and bloated with adverts over the past few years. I think I'll continue to read while they're still there, but the site has been in decline since Calbear and Thresh left IMO.

I was a big fan of Voodooextreme back in the day, as well as Sharky's, and used to check the NVNews front page everyday from 1999-2001, although I never joined their forums. Anyone remember OGR (Online Gaming Review)?

rage3d, hardocp, maximumpchardware (they were forced out by maxamum PC a bunch of weenies when it comes to hardware reviews), the old savage boards, bjorn3d, Via Hardware, BX Boards, Toms hardware, Anandtech

BrynS said:
If by Gamesradar you're referring to Dailyradar, then yes it ceased operations in mid 2001 after the dot com bubble burst -- Gamesradar apparently still exists as the corporate lovechild of MSN and Future Publishing, but bears nothing to the Radar heydeys of Tom Chick et al in 2000.

Yeah, I meant dailyradar, oops! :oops:

I used to be heavily involved in the whole Command and Conquer community (creating mods and generally playing around with code) until Westwood died and C&C along with it.

Only other site I used to visit heavily is Neowin but I mostly stopped due to it's immensely immature general userbase. Though I sometimes make a brief visit mainly for the news.

Back