Halp Plez... Serious New PC Woes.

I think I posted before about crashy games on my new Dell XPS 720 PC.

Wellll.. The problems wouldn't go away no mattewre what I did with uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of motherboard chipset drivers and graphics drivers from either Dell's site or windows update or Nvidia's own site.

A tech guy came and replaced my power supply for me - whoich was a harrowing experience in itself - because I thought maybe the strong crackling and buzzing sound coming from it when loaded meant it delivered screwy voltages and caused these crashes/abrupt exits back to the desktop.

Well.. The tech guy who came tore apart my new multi-thousand $ system like it was the engine of some rusty old clunker of a car, denting the radiator of the CPU cooler and nearly scratching my flatscreen with the ATX cable harness connector etc. He also sweated profusely during the operation and wiped his forehead with his hands before diving back into my chassis. On top of everything else he also cut a knuckle on some sharp edge on the inside pretty mcuh first thing he did and rooted around everywhere with visible blood on his hand. Yuck!

And as if all that was not enough he'd been sent the wrong power supply from Dell so it was all for nought.

So I just silently sighed and decided I'm not dealing with this crap anymore and called up Dell after he'd left and explained they'd have to take the thing back and send me another one. Then another tech came the day after with the correct PSU and reassembled the system (not routing cables as nicely as when it was new). And the new PSU also crackles/buzzes, though not as much as the first.

So after many a day (like a week and a half) and several calls I had finally confirmation they'd ordered a new replacement system for me.

Of course it took several weeks more for it to be built and shipped, after which my troubles started all over again!

I mean the Exact Same Shit. WTF? How can two separate and exactly configured PCs crash and act up in the exact same way? Well, apart from user error of course, but I'm not an idiot. :p

First thing I did out of the box - I was assuming the new system was all healthy and stuff - was put in the harddrives from the first XPS box so that I could have access to a bunch of different games right off the bat, and stick in my own Fatality XFi sound board instead of Dell's weirdo Frankenstein card delivered with the system (there seems to be two distinctly different sound chips on it; an XFi on the front and something else on the rear).

Crashy crashy crash.

So I was first in shock for a while and despaired and then desperately thought oh well maybe it's Creative's fautl and pulled the Fatality XFi (even though I'd tried that before). Nope.

So I put in the harddrives originally delivered with the new XPS a nd reinstalled/patched up Supreme Commander on it because that game would ALWAYS quit back to the desktop after a while of playing once you got a heated battle going. I didn't touch the drivers installed on the default OS installation to not have to deal with too many parameters all at once. All I did was change some simple windows settings to ease my life a bit.

I then played pretty much nonstop throughout a whole night without issues and thought, whoah, what a weird set of problems to be caused by a bad harddrive! ..Only to have it crash out on me while I eas fiddling around in the menus.

So then I reinstalled HL2 Ep 1 because that one was also easy to test with. It complained the video driver was too old but I ignored that. No dice; almost as soon as the level loaded graphics updates started chugging badly and slowing down. Sound repeating like a CD player not tracking properly etc. As I and Alyx walked up to the monitor screen with her father on it the game rolled over and died.

Ok, so I HAD to update the gfx drivers it seemed. I did, and I'm not totally sure which drivers I used but but it didn't help, and around there somewhere Windows Vista decided it was no longer bootable. So I used the convenient menu option shown to restore the factory image of the main partition and start all over again.

This time I only installd Episode One. I was also sort of suspecting the chipset driver so I didn't download that one off of windows update. I was also thinking maybe the PC's drawing too much power from the socket and overloading my powerstrip. Coz I have quite a lot of stuff running from the same outlet. There's only one grounded wall socket in my entire apartement so PCs and monitors and flatscreen TV and all my games consoles get power from the same plug.

So I took a chance I wouldn't kill anything and plugged the XPS PC into a non-grounded socket. I figured it'd get grounding through the shield braid in the DVI monitor cord or through the USB cord leading to my printer (both having 3-prong power connectors). Well regardless this did not help. HL2 Ep 1 crashes while autosaving or loading a new level. It doesn't seem to hang or crash during gameplay itself. It also crashes sometimes when quicksaving or - I assume but never tested - saving through the menu.

Sometimes I get booted out to the desktop with a little windows vista error window that says HL2 stopped working properly and that it's checking the internet for solutions (and don't find any for me). About two times I got an error box with text from Microsoft's compiler saying the runtime requested to exit abruptly or somesuch. I can't quite remember.

And a few times HL2's engine popped up an error window saying it "could not allocate xxxxxxx bytes of memory; unable to load lump 53!!!", roughly.

So I thought - having run out of better ideas to try - maybe it's still a power issue and plugged it up to my 500VA UPS. If there's any problem wiht supply, noise or voltage or dips or spikes or whatever - that'll catch 'em.

Well - haha - it started beeping overload just by the PC being booted to the windows desktop, so I pulled one of the 8800GTX cards out of the box and it booted and ran HL2 just fine with nary a peep coming out of it.

And then HL2 crashed while loading the next level.

And after that I tried to reinstall the latest chipset drivers again from windows update first and then off of NV's own site and the game crashed a lot, and then I put in the latest (beta) video driver after that and the game crashed a lot again.

And I'm getting video driver stops responding errors, even on the desktop for crying out loud. A lot of them too considering I'd hardly ever seen one before I bought this system.

So WTF? Am I being haunted by a poltergeist or something?

I've not done anything to this box that I've not done to any of my previous PCs and they've never complained. I certainly don't know everything about PCs but I'm not dumb.. I know what NOT to do to keep a PC happy.

I'm at my wit's end here. PLEASE HELP ME. I'm going nuts trying to figure out what to try next.

Yeah yeal, I'll call up dell again in tomorrow and aks them but it's still sunday righr now, and you know tech support people... :p They can't beat some smart knowledgeable heads.

Is it a chipset issue? Is it a graphics card issue? Does it have something to do with the SATA RAID/storage drivers? I don't know! Different software bug out in different ways, it seems impossible to narrow my problems down to one single sub-system. I've run Dell's memory test utility repeatedly and no errors appeared, but I don't think that one's very comprehensive. I don't have a USB stick so I've not been able to make a disc image on it to try memtest x86.

Still I've never had a memory error in my life and then to have it on TWO different PCs in a row that both have the problem show up in the exact same way? Seems like a coincidence of almost cosmical proportions if it was to be the xase.

So here I am thinking and speculating aobut possibilities:

1 - it's the power supply after all cozx this unit also crackles/buzzes. Not as much as the very first power supply in the first XPS box but there's still an audible noise coming from inside there when it's working hard. Dell has a batch of bad PSUs on its hand.

2 - it's the motherboard. A design flaw or bad caps some other mobo component gives random problems that show up in different ways in different software. Not sure if this is plausible. Dell mobos are generally very high quality from what I understand. Certainly my previous Dells have performed flawlessly, pretty much like clockwork in fact. Hardly ever any crashes that aren't connected to poorly coded/buggy games or drivers.

3: Nvidia's nforce 680i is a shitty chipset full of bugs that like old VIA stuff just doesn't work very well, not even coupled with Nvidia graphics cards..

4: Nvidia's chipset drivers are shitty and full of bugs. Including those included with windows vista on the DVD and on windows update. I have to do some voodoo magic shit to get things to work - but WHAT?

5 - all my seemingly random problems are all because of the disk subsystem, hardware and/or drivers. Random transfer errors or other issues (naughty interrupts?) cause these problems SEEMINGLY at random because there's always some disk activity in a windows system, some swapping going on or whatever. Disputing this thory, windows itself always seems to boot properly. Well except that one time it became unbootable... :devilish: And internet explorer (which is fairly disk intensive) and other windows apps I've run don't show any problems including running 7zip in benchmark mode for quite a while and PDF viewing and image viewing/editing and so on.

6 - videocard / PCIe errors cause all this somehow. Driver related or hardware. Curious tidbit of information that causes this suspicion: HL2 Ep1 often shows corrupted snapshots of saved games when trying to load a game, happens with all driver versions I've tried so far. That has NEVER happened for me before on my old system no matter which driver I used. Reading back data from video memory causes corruption = random crashes of games? *Shrug* I don't know what to think really.

ANY inpu5t appreciated. Greatly.

Peace.

Is it a chipset issue? Is it a graphics card issue? Does it have something to do with the SATA RAID/storage drivers? I don't know! Different software bug out in different ways, it seems impossible to narrow my problems down to one single sub-system. I've run Dell's memory test utility repeatedly and no errors appeared, but I don't think that one's very comprehensive. I don't have a USB stick so I've not been able to make a disc image on it to try memtest x86.

Have you been able to monitor temperature and also have you tested a CPu and GPU benchmark program (3Dmark06 for example).

1 - it's the power supply after all cozx this unit also crackles/buzzes. Not as much as the very first power supply in the first XPS box but there's still an audible noise coming from inside there when it's working hard. Dell has a batch of bad PSUs on its hand.

That is common, depends on system load although the sound should not be to high. Slight coil/transformator noise is common.

2 - it's the motherboard. A design flaw or bad caps some other mobo component gives random problems that show up in different ways in different software. Not sure if this is plausible. Dell mobos are generally very high quality from what I understand. Certainly my previous Dells have performed flawlessly, pretty much like clockwork in fact. Hardly ever any crashes that aren't connected to poorly coded/buggy games or drivers.

That could be a possibility, and I assume they didn't use parts from your other returned PC to fit into the new one you got!

3: Nvidia's nforce 680i is a shitty chipset full of bugs that like old VIA stuff just doesn't work very well, not even coupled with Nvidia graphics cards..

Have you installed different drivers and options (no IDE sw drivers, chipset network driver etc) and got any change. Also download the drivers from nvidia homepage and also disable inbuilt peripherals like network chipset, inbuilt sound chip (although it should be off) etc.

5 - all my seemingly random problems are all because of the disk subsystem, hardware and/or drivers. Random transfer errors or other issues (naughty interrupts?) cause these problems SEEMINGLY at random because there's always some disk activity in a windows system, some swapping going on or whatever. Disputing this thory, windows itself always seems to boot properly. Well except that one time it became unbootable... :devilish: And internet explorer (which is fairly disk intensive) and other windows apps I've run don't show any problems including running 7zip in benchmark mode for quite a while and PDF viewing and image viewing/editing and so on.

Have you checked with 'Systeminformation' tool in the accessories menu (dont know if it is there in Vista). Check for IRQ shares/conflicts, especially if X-Fi shares it's IRQ with other hardware.

6 - videocard / PCIe errors cause all this somehow. Driver related or hardware. Curious tidbit of information that causes this suspicion: HL2 Ep1 often shows corrupted snapshots of saved games when trying to load a game, happens with all driver versions I've tried so far. That has NEVER happened for me before on my old system no matter which driver I used. Reading back data from video memory causes corruption = random crashes of games? *Shrug* I don't know what to think really.

Bad RAM or VRAM tends to screw up data bits and may create errors in copied files/screenshots/when playing games. Have you tried to use one graphics card and then the other each one alone to see if the problem is still there?

Also if you can disable 'Enable command Queuing' in the Nforce Sata controller options (in the hardware manager). This becouse I've seen variating results from having this enabled, and sometimes the result has been corrupted data.

I'm going to read over everything again later and connect the dots, so to speak. But I'd really suggest you try installing Windows XP onto that machine and see what happens. I bet things will suddenly become completely stable, I just know it will :p

But seriously, any chance you could test XP on it? I'm curious

Send it back to where it came from and assemble your own system with quality components (which will most probably be cheaper as well). I'd never deal with Dell & co.

Have you been able to monitor temperature and also have you tested a CPu and GPU benchmark program (3Dmark06 for example).
CPU temp at 3.47GHz is aobut 55C when running HL2 Ep 1. At stock core speed (2.67GHz) I seem to remember it was aobut 35-40C.

Slight coil/transformator noise is common.
Hm. Okay. :p Well, the latest PSU really is quieter than the last two I had...

I assume they didn't use parts from your other returned PC to fit into the new one you got!
No, it's all new. I still have the first box standing on the floor of my kitchen. If a burglar was to break in he'd net quite a ca5tch! Assuming his back didn't break in the process.. They weigh 35-ish kilos each..

Have you installed different drivers and options (no IDE sw drivers, chipset network driver etc) and got any change.
Yea, I've tried different combinations on both the new and the old XPS system. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Have you checked with 'Systeminformation' tool in the accessories menu (dont know if it is there in Vista). Check for IRQ shares/conflicts, especially if X-Fi shares it's IRQ with other hardware.
There are no conflicts and sound card doesn't share IRQ. Anyway I've never had any problems with hardware sharing IRQs, on my first dell box (P4 1.7GHz Willy with RDRAM) which was PACKED with stuff - 5 cardslots filled + onboard network chip. I had 3 devices on the same IRQ, one being gfx card. No problems. :LOL:

Have you tried to use one graphics card and then the other each one alone to see if the problem is still there?
Well, like I said I pulled one of the cards out of the new XPS and nothing changed. Didn't bother swapping it with the other because of the amount of work involved, heh. Anyway, both XPS systems exhibit the same thinbg - if there's bad RAM causing this they BOTH have bad RAM and that seems kinda farfetched.

Also if you can disable 'Enable command Queuing' in the Nforce Sata controller options (in the hardware manager).
Hm, I'll try this. But I'm not optimistic because like I said the system(s) only seem to have trouble loading stuff in HL2..

Send it back to where it came from and assemble your own system with quality components
You're not being helpful! :p I don't want to assemble my own system - I want to get THIS one working, hehe.

Peace.

Dude what the fuck?

I would NOT settle for getting a piece of shit twice in a row.

Send it back to dell, complain about the crappy service, and buy elsewhere (I, like others, would recommend just building one yourself).

Alright, I was hoping I wouldn'tt have to do this, but unless you have some practical information or suggestions pertaining to my problem, please don't post in the thread.

Thanks.

Well then rainbow looks like a replacement is your only option
are there different xps models that use a different cpu / board combination ?
if so ask dell if you can pay the extra and hopefully what ever prob that model of pc has wont exist on the new one

I'm serious here - please read.

1. Download an Ubuntu Live CD. It lets you run linux without installing it. See if you can crash the computer.

2. If you can it's probably hardware and not fixable since it's Dell.

ANOTHER idea: are you running your SATA drives in Native Mode?

3. If you can't it's probably windows/drivers.

1. Download an Ubuntu Live CD. It lets you run linux without installing it. See if you can crash the computer.
Is there anything on that Ubuntu CD that uses 3D? Because the crashes mostly seem related to stuff that loads tje system and uses 3D in some way - ie aero glass and games.

ANOTHER idea: are you running your SATA drives in Native Mode?
How do I tell if I am? :???: I don't know much abotu SATA really. Most of my PCs have used good ol PATA.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Peace.

Try each RAM stick separately.

Did you install the hard drives back in the same order they arrived?

Is there anything on that Ubuntu CD that uses 3D? Because the crashes mostly seem related to stuff that loads tje system and uses 3D in some way - ie aero glass and games.

How do I tell if I am? :???: I don't know much abotu SATA really. Most of my PCs have used good ol PATA.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Peace.

ubuntu supports 3d - what's your card?? (sorry in a hurry)
You can always open a terminal and launch glxgears 5 times to stress

Did you ever get this worked out?
I thought about it a bit today in the context of my past Dell experiences. It sounds like you've added some hardware (substitute sound, other hard drives, etc.). I think this is your problem.

From my experience, Dell is ultra-efficient at spec'ing a PSU that handles exactly what they've put in a system - there's often no (zero) headroom for more. I once dropped a second hard disk into an OptiPlex and it fried the machines motherboard. Dell covered it under warranty but explained to me that, even though there was a space for the drive and a molex for power, the PSU couldn't handle another drive and the normal failure mode fried the motherboard.

So I would try one of two things:

1. take all your stuff out and test
or
2. take a second PSU and connect it to your two GPUs. Jumper green-to-black to enable it. Now power the GPUs with the external supply and the rest with your Dell supply and test.

ubuntu supports 3d - what's your card??
8800GTX SLI..

Did you ever get this worked out?
No, not really. :LOL: It's an ongoing headache with me waiting for tech support to mail me an XP disc to use for testing purposes and customer services to mail me a vista ultimate 64-bit because I was uninformed at the time of purchase I'd be delivered a 32-bit version..

After this stuff arrives I'll resume testing.

So regardless of the outcome when all this is over I'll be sitting on a shitload of valid OS discs and keys lol becauuse they don't want them back! :cool: (Yes I asked. Guy said it costs them too much to deal with, heh!)

Anbd 2 new keyboards ttoo because I'll be keeping the one that came out of the first XPS system's box.. They'd probably just trash/grind it up for plastic granules anyway I suppose considering there's stuff like invisible skin flakes and fingerprints all over the things.

It sounds like you've added some hardware (substitute sound, other hard drives, etc.). I think this is your problem.
Well, perhaps. I've since taken the sound card out again. It works just fine in my previous main rig (Dell Dimension) and I initially only exchanged the harddrives to avoid having to reinstall tthe 10 or so games I put onto the first XPS system's drives.

Though it's worth mentioning the system has the build option to be delivered as standard with 4 harddrives and it's indeed running 5 drives at the moment. There'sa total of 7 drive bays in the rig and corresponding power connectors as well. And a 1kW power supply ought to handle that load. Easily even.

I once ran 2 HDDs and 2 DVDRWs and Willy 1.7GHz P4 and overclocked GF3 and all PCI slots filled on another Dell desktop's 250W power supply. Oh and also just for fun an ancient Fujitsu server SCSI 5.25" drive with I believe 10 discs stacked in it.. All at the sme time no problems.

That one giant HDD alone gobbled 30W idle I seem to recall. And the noise! GODS!

I once dropped a second hard disk into an OptiPlex and it fried the machines motherboard.
Fried the motherboard? I've never seen a desktop PC powering HDDs via the mobo but I guess everything's possible.

2. take a second PSU and connect it to your two GPUs.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU with 4 6-pin PEG power connectors on it. I actually don't have a single 6-pin connector in any of my previous systems which is kind of the reason I bought this one lol.

Thanks!
Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back