Watchmen, soon....

Dooby

Regular
Your online booking has been successful and your tickets have been booked at:

To see: Watchmen IMAX
On: Friday, 06 March 2009 5:15PM

Watchmen IMAX Classification: 18 (Contains strong bloody violence.) Running time: 162 mins

You know, I didn't know it was an 18! Brilliant! And nearly 3 hours long? I was hoping the 3 hr 10 min cut would be shown at IMAX, but I guess I can wait for the 1080p Bluray.

Anyone else as excited as me?

Yes very excited, now that I'm reading through the book. Looking forward to seeing it at IMAX as well. Very glad it's getting an 18 rating and that it is quite lengthy. Can't wait!

The Watchmen, the violence, or my terrible attempt at humor? :)

The Watchmen is a celebrated comic b--er, graphic novel. If nothing else, it's just an interesting story that IIRC sticks NYC superheroes into Vietnam and explores what happens after.

The violence you can probably see just in the trailer when the blue guy touches that Vietnamese guy (and by touches I mean explodes).

The lame joke, I can't explain. Let's chalk it up to a moment of weakness (one in a series).

for the lazy :D
"The film that has emerged, however, is a mesmerising and brutalising experience, and will be, for some at least, more than worth the wait. "

It'll likely be 3 hours with the commercials and previews included beforehand.

I think it'll flop when people realize its 3 hours long and it isn't really an action or superhero movie.

Oddly enough, it was The Dark Knight's story and suspense more than its action sequences that floored me (which is probably why the second time I saw it I was less than impressed--the way Nolan assembles his movies is part of the pleasure). I'm hoping they get the non-action bits right. I'll take "mesmerizing." :)

Will it flop? I dunno, are there any comparable movies out there? It seems perfectly timed, and this crap economy might put more people in the mood for its message.

I don't know if Slumdog Millionaire's success works for or against my guess.

Interesting. I'd read 3 hours. Well, that is a lot more reasonable. They must have cut a lot out of the story.

Looks like the general release has indeed been trimmed down significantly to get the running time down a bit. There's two other cuts that are going to be on the DVD/blu-ray - one of which is the full cut and the other the full cut + the black freighter animation spliced into the story. I read the latter is going to be 3hrs 25min or so.

That review sounds promising (to me, a fan of the original graphic novel). They seem to have been pretty uncompromising in their treatment, which is fine by me. I reckon the chances are that'll it'll do "OK" on release - I can't see an 18 certificate film with that level of violence really making big numbers. The DVD will sell bucketloads though I reckon.

Pretty good reviews so far - much, much better than I anticipated. I'm wishing I hadn't sought out and read the comics (ahem, "graphic novels") last year.

I just can't enjoy a storyline when I know what is going to happen next. (LoTR for me).

Oh well. Suppose I'll wait for the director's cut on Blu-Ray.

Yep thats what I heard as well Gerry though I have absolutely no idea what the movie is about. It looks good I will give it that...so question...should I or should I NOT grab a copy of the visual novel before I go see the movie?

Yep thats what I heard as well Gerry though I have absolutely no idea what the movie is about. It looks good I will give it that...so question...should I or should I NOT grab a copy of the visual novel before I go see the movie?

Ummmmmm .... I guess that would really depend on how good the movie is. I think it's worth reading no matter what, but if the movie sucks it might spoil some of it.

The ending is supposedly very different according to Wired magazine.

Oh, I've already heard about the different ending.
But is death by Calamari really all that different to death by atomic blast? It's still death! :smile:

Back