Warhawk discussion*

I have noticed some times in games there seems to be players who deal out alot more damage than they should and also seem to withstand more damage than they should.

Recently I was head to head with a Tank, both of us were in light tanks, both with full health. We traded four shells each before I bailed, my tank was unwell!! His tank on the other hand seemed hardly damaged. I then chucked two grenades and four rockets at him before he shelled me. By rights he should have been in bits but he wasn't.

Thinking about it though, if you have a passenger who has a wrench, I guess in between explosions he could pop out of the turret and fix the damage, that would make sense...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about this recently in this thread. I'm currently recording occasions on unnatural damage. I've only logged a couple of plane one-hit-kills against me in a few games, but they have happened.

In your case though, are you sure there wasn't someone with a spanner fixing up the other tank? I haven't known anyone take less damage before, only deal extra damage.

I was talking about this recently in this thread. I'm currently recording occasions on unnatural damage. I've only logged a couple of plane one-hit-kills against me in a few games, but they have happened.

In your case though, are you sure there wasn't someone with a spanner fixing up the other tank? I haven't known anyone take less damage before, only deal extra damage.

Yeah, just had the same thought. But I know what you mean about dealing extra damage. I've encountered it quite alot.

Yeah, just had the same thought. But I know what you mean about dealing extra damage. I've encountered it quite alot.

As regards to onfoot...I always beat out because I shoot at their head :) As for in warhawks...no idea about that. But it's usually a short sharp shoot and then a quick release of the homing missile. You won't even notice the shooting before the missile...so that might be why. The experts are expert...

But that much shooting doesn't do that much damage. In my local-game experiments, it took over a full round of firing (until the gun overheats) to destroy a plane, over a long few seconds. A missile does 2/3rds damage, so you'd need about a second of continuous hits, not just shots, to damage a plane enough that a missile could finish them off. That much bullet damage would be clearly present prior to a missile hit to account for what appears a one-hit kill. We're talking from 90%+ health to dead in one explosion where, in laboratory tests and in-game observations, a homing missile only does 66% damage.

But that much shooting doesn't do that much damage. In my local-game experiments, it took over a full round of firing (until the gun overheats) to destroy a plane, over a long few seconds. A missile does 2/3rds damage, so you'd need about a second of continuous hits, not just shots, to damage a plane enough that a missile could finish them off. That much bullet damage would be clearly present prior to a missile hit to account for what appears a one-hit kill. We're talking from 90%+ health to dead in one explosion where, in laboratory tests and in-game observations, a homing missile only does 66% damage.

Nope...a short jab of shooting and a missile (the big yellow one, not little green ones) will destroy a Warhawk. I know because I do it often...

Maybe there's a difference in how close you are...I often release just as I'm passing the enemy.

But my research shows otherwise. I've tried shooting from different ranges, how many shots are required, how much damage is done, etc. Maybe you're one of those with higher-than-normal damage?!

Can you do a quick test? If you have a second controller, fire up a local match, put a plane in hover and shoot it with a Homing Missile and tell us about how much damage it knocks off? And if you're doing that, also see how many second of sustained gunfire are needed to destroy a plane.

But my research shows otherwise. I've tried shooting from different ranges, how many shots are required, how much damage is done, etc. Maybe you're one of those with higher-than-normal damage?!

Can you do a quick test? If you have a second controller, fire up a local match, put a plane in hover and shoot it with a Homing Missile and tell us about how much damage it knocks off? And if you're doing that, also see how many second of sustained gunfire are needed to destroy a plane.

I don't think it's a fair test in hover mode. You never know, you might get less damage in hover mode.

I don't think it's a fair test in hover mode. You never know, you might get less damage in hover mode.
I tried in hover first, then moving, and damage was the same in both cases.

Macabre said:
Afaik, tanks and Warhawks have weak spots (turret/cockpit) - something to consider as well.
I tried that, attacking from different directions, with no variation in damage. Furthermore a missile almost invariably hits in the plane's tail, because it's chasing after it. The chances of hitting in the cockpit seems slim.

I really need to borrow a second controller to do more tests at home though.

I tried in hover first, then moving, and damage was the same in both cases.

I tried that, attacking from different directions, with no variation in damage. Furthermore a missile almost invariably hits in the plane's tail, because it's chasing after it. The chances of hitting in the cockpit seems slim.

I really need to borrow a second controller to do more tests at home though.

Why not set up a server with one of us..and we can test. I remember Jaeyden teaching me about the speedy launch off :)

A demo is coming ! Great for people like me who want to try it out ;) !
4ub79e.jpg

2dhbcky.jpg

Here's the link:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/25/warhawk-operation-fallen-star/comment-page-2/#comments

I wonder how they'll do a demo? It'll have to be in safe environment full of like-able people, as it's no fun at all getting whipped constantly. It'll also have to be limited somehow which is tricky given the game's already limited scope. I guess locking out a lot of the weapons, but that would limit a lot of the feel of the game. Maybe demo-only servers that offer you a time limit and then lock out that PSN account?

I hate to admit it (cos I love Warhawk) but it seems to be a like it or leave it game; yes patsu, I'm looking at you. :)

Some good ideas on getting noobs in. And that seems to be the biggest issue. Stats be damned is my attitude.

Back