Warhawk discussion*

Dylan Jobe, implement a bot system ! It'd help noobs to get into the game, and kinda plug the SP hole.

2d77otv.jpg

Liar ! I want to love her, just like my high-school sweetheart, but I'm just not up to it.

You'd never admit that to your high-school sweetheart now would you??

Personally, I took my beating's 'til I got to a decent enough standard. I'm still only an average player. And I do think they've given noobs enough workarounds to slowly improve. The first two that pop into my head are

a) Ranked servers (your YMMV of course).
b) Password protected servers.

One day you'll put R:FOM down... :)

You'd never admit that to your high-school sweetheart now would you??

Personally, I took my beating's 'til I got to a decent enough standard.
so did I, but only because I had paid for the game and played it with friends, and it was a joint purchasing decision only because it was one of the few games supporting multiplayer with split-screen for when we meet round each others' houses. If my first hour or two's experience had been with a demo, I wouldn't have made the purchase.

The recent talk of newbie servers highlghted green and positioned at the top is another good move. I hope these changes pay dividends with new owners, and demonstrate that a gradated entry isn't an optional extra to a well put-together multiplayer game.

so did I, but only because I had paid for the game and played it with friends, and it was a joint purchasing decision only because it was one of the few games supporting multiplayer with split-screen for when we meet round each others' houses. If my first hour or two's experience had been with a demo, I wouldn't have made the purchase.

The recent talk of newbie servers highlghted green and positioned at the top is another good move. I hope these changes pay dividends with new owners, and demonstrate that a gradated entry isn't an optional extra to a well put-together multiplayer game.

Really? I'd got the impression that you sort of enjoyed it and played regularly. Or am I totally missing your point?? :(

I'm not fully comfortable with the server set-up at the minute so anything that helps newcomers will be great news. And a friend of mine hasn't even worked out what certain servers mean. He just clicks into the server with the lowest ping and gets a beating. I shouldn't laugh.

I do enjoy it, on ocassions, when I'm not getting trashed! When we first started it was a hard game to get into though. Getting in a plane meant instant death, and not much fun was to be had. We played split-screen to begin with, then ventured out into online and gradually improved. I'm not too bad when I'm having a good game, and I'm utterly useless when I'm having a bad game. I only know to persevere now because I stuck with it long enough to get good enough to be able to play a part. If I hadn't have had incentive to keep trying (multiplayer with friends) I would have given up long before I knew the joy of planting a mine in a tricky locale or, for once, getting the upper hand in a one-on-one fire-fight.

Guys, I haven't even fought anyone yet. I am still having trouble flying :oops:
Have you got WH? You're not listed as having it in WH AFAICS. Flying is the last thing you do, which is ironic given the name and origins of the game! My mate has played for over 80 hours now, is almost ranked in the top 30k players in the world, and still avoids planes on the whole as he's unable to fly them!

:LOL: Yes I have Warhawk (Blu-ray version). I'm not listed probably because I have not joined any net games yet.... just walking around and fumbling in mid-air.

If it's just ground battle, I have more incentive to play RFOM and Metal Gears.

:LOL: Yes I have Warhawk (Blu-ray version). I'm not listed probably because I have not joined any net games yet.... just walking around and fumbling in mid-air.

If it's just ground battle, I have more incentive to play RFOM and Metal Gears.

Get used to the controls patsu and you'll love it.

I hope the tutorials that come with the update help the new players get into the game quicker. Of course that depends on how deep they go with advanced tactics and so on.

They don't. One article somewhere explained the tutes, and they're very basic. I think tactics are learnt on the job - when a plane knocks over your Jeep for the first time, you twig that's a valid option, where before then you take care of your plane because common sense tells you smacking it into things is a bad idea. The learning as you go is probably part of the appeal of these games, as you get long-term growth. As long as the noobs are introduced slowly enough that they aren't being hampered by the controls, I think it'll work.

The 1.5 patch is out in Euroland. I downloaded it and tried the tutorials. They are way to basic, nothing much more than the weapon introductions provided in the game originally. There's no target practice modes or anything. The flight tutorial crashed out at the third step, when it asked me to perform an areial powerslide to continue but nothing I did could advance the mission. The fourth practice mode was worthwhile though. It's plane flying with stationary ariel bots that launch missiles, so you practice dodging and targeting. It is going to help people to learn how to evade missiles. With a lot of practice here I might be able to do it without crashing into the ground ;) The other thing you learn is missiles take a flippin' age to lock on! Flying towards a stationary target, in the time from being able to start locking-on to acquiring a full lock-on, you're way up close and personal. And if a missile is fired at you in the inbetween time, shaking it off wastes a missile.

Here's also an interesting test-ground for weapons fire. The bots seem tomhave the same armour as planes, so for me, a yellow missile injures them enough that a second of gunfire kills them. I'd be intersted to hear from the likes of deepbrown how much fire they need to blow a bot away.

Also, important point, the game servers were offline so I haven't seen the new newbie servers to know what their limits are. And the Trophies are mostly hard-core. Things like a bronze medal for having 5 medals, I only have 2. My 80 hours playing mate only has 2...

I got the flight training to work. Just needed a huge, long, non-stop, everlasting powerslide to progress. The final challenge with constant missile locks and no time to lock on and shoot the drones really prepares newbies for the real game. Yes, you will spend all your flight time wiggling around in the air evading missiles! ;)

Still, the training has let me find a good technique for throwing off most missiles quickly and efficiently.

Have a look at the trophy list too chaps.

Maybe my perception is skewed because I love this game but I think they're very well thought out, a little bit different and range from easy to very difficult. All I could ask for really.

Have a look at the trophy list too chaps.

Maybe my perception is skewed because I love this game but I think they're very well thought out, a little bit different and range from easy to very difficult. All I could ask for really.

I don't know I think they are too easy. And many of the ones that seem tricky you can easily get from creating a 2 player split screen game. I setup a dedicated server then go out to dinner and 4 hours later when I return I see I earned myself a Gold trophy for my non effort. I think I already earned 8 Warhawk trophies from just playing a few hours.

I know I played Eden for like 20 hours each bronze trophy I had to fight tooth and nail for. The game does not even have Gold Trophies. Each trophy makes you feel like you really earned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The list seemed to eb too extreme when I first viewed it, but last night I picked up a few. There are nice little rewards for those starting out, and bigger rewards for those who dedicate their entire lives to the game! The mysterious trophies are a pleasant surprise. My mate got "What's that Green Line?" for me air-striking him twice. Well, he deserved it for the millions of times he's blasted me!

20 hours for a bronze in Eden is over-valued IMO. If every bronze trophy took that much gameplay, there'd be rare enough to be rendered pointless. Stardust's trophies seemed about right for that length game IMO.

20 hours for a bronze in Eden is over-valued IMO. If every bronze trophy took that much gameplay, there'd be rare enough to be rendered pointless. Stardust's trophies seemed about right for that length game IMO.

I meant 20 hours overall (It was probably more than that now that I think about it) to rackup 11 Eden trophies I have now. But ya they were probably over valued.

I guess as a way to see how much progress others on your friends have made in a game, it serves a fine purpose. It's just hard not to compare bronze for bronze and gold for gold with other games.

I don't know how any such unified value could be managed between different games though. In the XB360's case, it led to people buying games as easy achievements, and I expect that'll be the same on PS3 for Trophy Horders. For people who take them seriously it'll be annoying. In my case I just ignore deepbrown's extensive collection as 'cheap and nasty' and laugh at patsu's empty cabinet!

BTW : The new pack is available on PSN, £3.99 and weighing in at 173 MBs. The jetpacks feel slow but they're about twice as fast as running. You need pretty good trigger control to balance flight for soft descents. Drop to fast and you die - you can't just free-fall and land safely. Haven't tried them in combat yet but I imagine they'll prove the bane of planes. The handheld missile launcher locks faster and tracks better than aircraft missiles, yet the aircraft can't get a lock on those little men floating around the sky.

Back