Warhawk discussion*

Thanks for the tip about buddy lists. I knew about spawning choice. I've also noticed it shows where you'd appear when you select a base. In a bunker with a sniper rifle is always encouraging. Sniper rifles and rocket launches seems to make most other weapons redundant!

Thanks for the tip about buddy lists. I knew about spawning choice. I've also noticed it shows where you'd appear when you select a base. In a bunker with a sniper rifle is always encouraging. Sniper rifles and rocket launches seems to make most other weapons redundant!

I've only ever used the buddy list for this as well. I've been far luckier with picking games than you have it seems, but these days I mostly pick a server that Jaeyden or Deep is playing on and try to join that. That works just about always. Otherwise, I tend to pick a 32 player dedicated server if I can. Can be hectic, and sometimes a little hard, but is usually fun, especially CTF.

By the way, haven't you got an EyeToy yet? If not, you should, because I know you want one. ;) And I always use it in lieu of a headset - it always works flawlessly and is much more comfortable, imho.

I think that's exactly it! Paired up with matey this evening (firmware 2.20 has broken my bluetooth comms :rolleyes:) and played a couple of one-on-ones, and this proved a fundamental point - don't use motion controls! It's fine for flying, but for hovering it's a dog, which is where I was going wrong. Using normal controls for hovering makes straffing actually possible. We tried out some radar test, and I was surprised to find running with any weapon doesn't blip the radar. I thought you needed the knife equipped but running around with a sniper rifle or automatic still left you invisible - it's only using the weapon where the knife doesn't show.

The server situation is utter tripe though! We were getting different lists of servers (he lives five miles away) and the same server showing up with different stats. We both joined the server called 'Beginner' and ended up playing totally different games. Filtering by rank does nothing, and most servers are uncapped anyway so there's nothing to stop some scallywags dominating.

And speaking of scallywags, playing CTF they had a damned cheat! A red guy grabbed the flag and wouldn't land it. He hid in a shed. For a while I was wondering what he was doing and thought it was just an idiot who didn't know they had to get the flag to the drop-off point, but the way he ran and hid in a corner gave him away. Off course being on your side you can't kill him and get the flag back - I did try! Grenades and everything else. This was the second time in maybe 4 CTF games where a guy on my team has deliberately not dropped the flag off. What $@#%&*! wants to play a game where their entire input is to scupper a team from scoring? And this is a pretty cheat-reduced game isn't it? Online gaming has a pretty bad rap with those on the outside, and I can see why!

There's also serious issues with dominance. One game I joined, waiting for matey to sort out his network troubles (have you noticed every error on the PS3 is a 80010009?) was zones on a tiddly map, I think 12 or 16 players. When the reds controlled 3 of 4 bases, it was impossible to do anything. They drove a tank into HQ and I was getting shot before I could ever get to weapons to defend myself with. They had two planes buzzing and a sniper on the hillside. Those situations are unrecoverable and a couple of those could easily turn a fella off the game.

I think a lot comes down to servers, and picking a game that works. The game itself doesn't really support that to a proper extent. It's more a case of try your luck and see what you end up with. It also doesn't support clan/buddy match-up. We had to find a server and both log on, rather than log on as a team on the same side. As a final point, PS3's comms sucks! Lack of XB360 style in-game messaging and cross game chat is a chronic oversight. I can appreciate Sony not wanting to roll it out until they've got their amazing uber network virtual life going, but online gamers really need that stuff straight away. Having to request a chat in XMB, and them to know to check their messages to join it, is cumbersome, and that the conversation doesn't roll over into gaming etc. is just plain dumb! Sure, it's fine for video-chatting with relatives, but it's way short of what gamers want.

You used to be able to team kill before the last update.

Buddy and messaging sucks in Warhawk - blame Incognito. Resistance had it all and it was perfect. Warhawk doesnt and it's always been my pet peeve.

If you want to spawn at a certain place in a base....just click backwards and forwards on the spawn point (it cycles possible locations) I always spawn on MINES :smile:

I've only ever used the buddy list for this as well. I've been far luckier with picking games than you have it seems, but these days I mostly pick a server that Jaeyden or Deep is playing on and try to join that. That works just about always. Otherwise, I tend to pick a 32 player dedicated server if I can. Can be hectic, and sometimes a little hard, but is usually fun, especially CTF.

By the way, haven't you got an EyeToy yet? If not, you should, because I know you want one. ;) And I always use it in lieu of a headset - it always works flawlessly and is much more comfortable, imho.

I don't hear you talk on WH :devilish:

I don't hear you talk on WH :devilish:

I only discovered it recently in Warhawk, remember? With the pressing down the L3 button ... :D ... you can read it back in this thread somewhere. :p

In my last session I didn't have my EyeToy plugged in (the blue light stays on even if your PS3 is off, which bothers me) and I plugged it in after a while. It did start working though without me having to do anything fortunately, and my Test123 was greeted with response from my team. By this time though, I believe you'd already moved on to another game.

I only discovered it recently in Warhawk, remember? With the pressing down the L3 button ... :D ... you can read it back in this thread somewhere. :p

In my last session I didn't have my EyeToy plugged in (the blue light stays on even if your PS3 is off, which bothers me) and I plugged it in after a while. It did start working though without me having to do anything fortunately, and my Test123 was greeted with response from my team. By this time though, I believe you'd already moved on to another game.

Ah... I remember. Well well...apparently I sound demented according to Jaeyden. I have trouble hearing Americans and American's hearing me. I think it's my ping or something....even though I have a high ping in Official US servers. I guess my connection is crap for voice chat (I changed my settings so I'm now NAT Type 2, used to be Type 3) I can only host a game for 4 people....so must be crap. Then again Jaeyden can here me :)

Well, next time I join a game of yours, I'll try to speak up. Last time I didn't say more than about 2 lines anyway. I was always on the winning team and I did my share and didn't see too much that needed communication other than the regular 'honk honk' type that people use to invite others to hop on board and doesn't require voice anyway :D.

By the way, haven't you got an EyeToy yet? If not, you should, because I know you want one.
Sold my EyeToy. Haven't got a PSEye yet because I want it with EOJ, but that's £60, $120. Bit rich seeing as I haven't even got a decent monitor yet!

Are you playing in HD?

Add me: psn deepbrown

Laggards don't game in HD. They have 10" BW sets with bunny ears. There's more advanced technology in the converters they use to go from composite to coax ("RF adapters") than there is in their TV sets. :D I'm exaggerating, of course. But the point still stands, Shiffty's a laggard and is not gaming in HD. He said what type of set he's using for his PS3 at one point. I don't remember the exact details but I do remember it being quite laggardish. Possibly even beyond laggard.

Laggards don't game in HD. They have 10" BW sets with bunny ears. There's more advanced technology in the converters they use to go from composite to coax ("RF adapters") than there is in their TV sets. :D I'm exaggerating, of course. But the point still stands, Shiffty's a laggard and is not gaming in HD. He said what type of set he's using for his PS3 at one point. I don't remember the exact details but I do remember it being quite laggardish. Possibly even beyond laggard.

If that's the case - no wonder he sucks at Warhawk...

Check the sig ;)

I'm waiting on an HDMI->DVI cable to try this monitor. I don't think it'll work. In which case I'll probably will get me a 20" Sammy Pebble for £200, but not for a month or so.

Check the sig ;)

I'm waiting on an HDMI->DVI cable to try this monitor. I don't think it'll work. In which case I'll probably will get me a 20" Sammy Pebble for £200, but not for a month or so.

You can't see which zone is which in SD. It's hard to lock-on. Oh noes. I feel sorry for you :(

Check the sig ;)

I use an HDMI cable with a HDMI->DVI conversion plug. That was cheaper and easier to obtain for me ...

A 25 minute game of zones ended with a KDR of 1.5, which I've sustained for a few games now. I'll never be the heady height of Deep's mass-murderer tendencies as I'm sneaky-sneaky, but I'm getting to grips and finding some enjoyment.

A 25 minute game of zones ended with a KDR of 1.5, which I've sustained for a few games now. I'll never be the heady height of Deep's mass-murderer tendencies as I'm sneaky-sneaky, but I'm getting to grips and finding some enjoyment.

Come on - add me already. PSN: deepbrown.

Hah ! I was really tempted to insert that Warhawk disc into the PS3 yesterday... because of your posts. Which server and time do you usually play ?

I know deepbrown plays during my office hours. :(

I don't! No standards. I'll just grab a game when I can, on whatever server looks good. I can see why the B3D clan had trouble getting itself together. I think you need a critical mass across timezones to make a clan a robust team thing. The lack of proper in-game messaging on PS3 means you can't conveniently shoot someone an invite when you are on either. The buddy thing'll sort of work, but if you haven't got comms, how would you even know they've joined? eg. I'm on EU-Lets-Kill-Shifty-Geezer and patsu joins in, how would I ever know? How could we meet up in the same area to fight the forces of evil? Friend tracking, on the same team, would be very cool. Actually even an option for on opposing teams would be nice. Playing 1 on 1, it's easy for you both to disappear and never find each other to fight!

Back