WAAAGH something is dying in my computer!

46C insanely high? I was running my Barracuda at +55C for two years before I noticed. Apparently the drive didn't like the 5.25" place with old mousepad as padding to reduce noise from resonance ;) The drive was still running strong until I retired it from use today (got a 160GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 with 8MB cache). The drive was specified to run at a maximum operating temperature of 60C (same as this new drive apparently).

I just got a new motherboard, and sisoft says my cpu is running at 127 degrees C. That was when the heatsink was lukwarm to the touch.

The549 said:
I just got a new motherboard, and sisoft says my cpu is running at 127 degrees C. That was when the heatsink was lukwarm to the touch.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

normally at this temp the system auto-shutdown .. lol

RainZ

My general experience is that only the BIOS is guaranteed to have it right. Sometimes even the manufacturer's utilities don't quite look right. Haven't found a machine here yet where HDD Health gives sensible temperature figures.

The maxtor drive does feel quite hot to touch though so it might be right... It was approaching 55 degrees yesterday evening while after I stopped playing in the night...

Mendel said:
The maxtor drive does feel quite hot to touch though so it might be right... It was approaching 55 degrees yesterday evening while after I stopped playing in the night...

Check this link.

http://storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

Choose the Net Drive Temperature from the combobox, and see if you can find your hdd model in the list.

If you think the temperaturs listed are too low, then you should also check out the top of the page, that says:

Net Drive Temperature: The difference between the drive's highest operating temperature and the room's ambient temperature.

www.storagereview.com is a good place for hdd reviews

so in my room, heres like 28 degrees warm... practically any harddrive would be over 40 degrees all the time unless actively cooled.

Mendel said:
so in my room, heres like 28 degrees warm... practically any harddrive would be over 40 degrees all the time unless actively cooled.

I guess so... mine always are and never had a problem yet (I also have two Maxtor 7k drives)

In my experience a 'clank-clank' sound is usually a block on the harddrive gone bad. I would have suggested that you go to the drive manufacturers website and download their repair/diagnostic tool which can usually repair such errors by relocating the bad sector without causing any data loss apart from the file the bas sector was in. Not doing so can cause the drive to 'rot' as hitting upon the bad part of the drive again can cause further errors and so on.
Mendel said:
I think we can safely discount floppy since i haven't had a physical floppy drive since 2001. edit: or a floppy drive for that matter.
Whoops... Too bad. Most of these tools make a bootable disk. Do check anyways though, as some might work in Windows (at least WD has a windows version). This is why I always keep a floppy-drive around, even if I'm not using it.

Back