VR-Zone: Counter-Strike:Source Benchmarked!

Bjorn said:
jvd said:
I know valve has said they can add sm3.0 to the source engine. That doesn't mean they will or it has been done.

They have to, sooner or later. But if they do it before Ati has SM3.0 hardware is another thing though.

well they don't have to .

I'm sure id isn't going to do anything to make its engine perform better on ati hardware.

source will most likely be the best dx 9 engine to liscense till unreal 3 engine comes out.

So really... they don't have to do it

jvd said:
source will most likely be the best dx 9 engine to liscense till unreal 3 engine comes out.

So really... they don't have to do it

And after that? UE3 will be SM3.0 so they'll have to be ready with SM3.0 before.

vb said:
And after that? UE3 will be SM3.0 so they'll have to be ready with SM3.0 before.

Since Unreal 3 engine games will probably be out by 2006, I don't see the reason why it won't use SM4 instead of 3.

Bit late for this now I guess but here are some quick runs I did on the following machine:

P4 3.0GHz (HT off), 512MB DDR400, Radeon 9800 XXL 128MB (390/338), 4.7 Cats, WinXP SP2

stress1.jpg

stress1a.jpg

Observations:
(1) Very slow to change resolution
(2) Artifacts badly for most runs, although the amount is rather variable. Pink/purple blotches cover most surfaces.
(3) Benchmark results are also highly variable; the above figures are averages of 3 runs but I'd wouldn't class them as overly reliable.
(4) No 1600x1200 runs because my LCD only goes up to 1280x1024.

Neeyik said:
(2) Artifacts badly for most runs, although the amount is rather variable. Pink/purple blotches cover most surfaces.

At the end of the first run, set the resolution for the next run, quit, restart, check video settings (but don't change res / AA) and run.

DaveBaumann said:
Neeyik said:

At the end of the first run, set the resolution for the next run, quit, restart, check video settings (but don't change res / AA) and run.
Eww - it's slow enough to get started as it is! ;)

Kombatant said:
vb said:
Kombatant said:
Since Unreal 3 engine games will probably be out by 2006, I don't see the reason why it won't use SM4 instead of 3.

A reason could be Xbox2.

Fall-back paths, perhaps?

Considering Xbox2 licences will be most important I think the engine will be mainly SM3.0 and any SM4.0 and above(if there is anything above) will be optional. They will optimize performance for SM3.0 and fall back paths just don't go with that.

They will recompile shaders using HLSL for SM4.0 but thats it.

IMHO. I imagine there are people who know already, but i'm not one of them.

FWIW, I seem to recall GabeN saying that they will not be supporting SM3 anytime soon. They're more interested in implementing more interesting current things like HDR and stuff I think, as well as that whole shipping reasonably close to on time :)

Of course that doesn't mean licensees can't add it to their game; it just probably wouldn't be worth the additional effort.

Seeing as how Source is designed to scale gracefully including updates for future cards, I don't see why they wouldn't support SM3 in the future. All they would have to do is get the code done, implement it and push it out over Steam.

yah

MrBond said:
FWIW, I seem to recall GabeN saying that they will not be supporting SM3 anytime soon. They're more interested in implementing more interesting current things like HDR and stuff I think, as well as that whole shipping reasonably close to on time :)

Of course that doesn't mean licensees can't add it to their game; it just probably wouldn't be worth the additional effort.

Seeing as how Source is designed to scale gracefully including updates for future cards, I don't see why they wouldn't support SM3 in the future. All they would have to do is get the code done, implement it and push it out over Steam.

They'll probably update for SM3 when ATI supports the feature. Otherwise they'll focus on features usable on both ATI and Nvidia for the time being, is my guess, as is yours.

MrBond said:

I thought that they implemented HDR 1-2 years ago.

I don't think anand's numbers are very different. Look closely: he has the 6800 Ultra Extreme there (is that actually an available retail product?).

It's still 70.5 vs 56.4, i.e. 25%.

One thing I don't understand is why people (not anand, actually) say the spread in HL2 is so much smaller than Doom3.

Inquirer said:
On the face of it, ATI has HalfLife2 and NVidia has Doom3. Benchmarks show that Nvidia has a commanding lead in Doom3, bordering on the abusive. ATI has a noticeable lead in HL2, but from what I have seen, not as commanding as the lead Nvidia has in Doom.

Tech Report said:
We're not seeing the kind of "class busting" disparities between benchmark results here that we saw recently in DOOM 3, where one company's $299 card outran the other company's $399 card. Instead, what we have is rough parity

1600x1200, 8xAF, 4xAA
From Tech Report:
HL2: XT PE leads by 24% (69.8 vs 56.2)
Doom3: 6800U leads by 17% (61.4 vs 52.5)

From Firing Squad:
HL2: XT PE leads by 28% (79.9 vs 62.6)
Doom3: 6800U leads by 17% (40 vs 34.1)

The only time NVidia really beats ATI is in X800PRO vs. 6800GT performance, which is natural due to the pipeline disadvantage. I'm sure ATI will either move the X800PRO to a lower $299 price point if they cut the ram to 128MB, and/or put a 16 pipe card to the $299 price point. ATI is just milking the momentum they have from the previous generation.

If it sells at $399, why not, right?

Mintmaster said:
I don't think anand's numbers are very different. Look closely: he has the 6800 Ultra Extreme there (is that actually an available retail product?).

The 6800 Ultra Extreme is a retail product, at least if you're to believe www.komplett.se. It's rather expensive though.

Back