VR-Zone: Counter-Strike:Source Benchmarked!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Delivering the news fresh to you too lazy to keep refreshing Elite Bastards 24/7, the lastest complete story:

Over at EB I said:
Methinks Bad_Boy is looking for a news posting position here, he pointed out to me the new VR-Zone's Counter-Strike:Source benchmark article before I had heard of it. :oops:

VR-Zone said:
What we saw today with our initial batch of high end tests is that all five graphics cards tested can play Counter-Strike: Source very well. The game is not as demanding as Doom 3 and actually runs at over 65 frames per second with 6X AA and 16X AF enabled at 1600x1200x32 with a Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition.

Really the only time the R420 based cards performed differently than their R420 counterparts was when Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering were enabled and we were running the game at high resolutions. The ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition was able to run around 7 FPS faster at 1600x1200x32 with 4X AA and 8X AA enabled, compared to the approximate 1 FPS difference between the two cards at every other setting.
Definately an interesting read, lots of charts in pretty colors; go read it here.

what ????

Really the only time the R420 based cards performed differently than their R420 counterparts

the r420s have r420 counterparts ???

anyway i dunno what people are epecting from counter strike zs.

Its of course not going to be demanding on current hardware .

i'm happly playing it at 1027x768 with 6x fsaa temporal , 16 af .

Half life 2 is going to be a new story all togther .

jvd said:
what ????

Really the only time the R420 based cards performed differently than their R420 counterparts
the r420s have r420 counterparts ???

anyway i dunno what people are epecting from counter strike zs.

Its of course not going to be demanding on current hardware .

i'm happly playing it at 1027x768 with 6x fsaa temporal , 16 af .

Half life 2 is going to be a new story all togther .
You're playing Counterstrike (2) on the Source Engine? It's not even out yet!

-FUDie

Well it is out in the Cybercafes and is already pre-cached on mine and a lot of others machines just waiting for midnight... (It goes live at midnight, right? They said Wenesday...)

digitalwanderer said:
Well it is out in the Cybercafes and is already pre-cached on mine and a lot of others machines just waiting for midnight... (It goes live at midnight, right? They said Wenesday...)

Um.... ummmm. i dunno

TALK!!!! C'mon stoolie, don't make me take ya off to the backroom and get the rubber hose out....HOW ARE YOU PLAYING CS:S?!?!?!

Well. I go to start menu. I load counter strike zs . Wait for it to let me enter game. Then go around killing people

he-4xaa-1600.gif

It's interesting: compared to 1280, we see a huge drop here from the Ultra...

waht i find interesting is that the x800xt pes may actually be faster than shown. They say there is a framerate limit of 90 . Which may affect the average scores.

ALso it doesn't seem like the 6800nu is much of a bargin for the source engine currently

he-4xaa-1280.gif

and then 1600x1200 it dropps another 20fps .

Most users though will be using 1280x1024 for lcds .

Add in the fact that for 100$ more you can get over 20fps more and the 6800non ultra just isn't that great of a deal.

When the 9800xt and 9800pro benchmarks come out it will be even worse

jvd said:
When the 9800xt and 9800pro benchmarks come out it will be even worse
Those are gonna be the fun-nay, the R3xx vs nV4x benchies. :LOL:

I see these benchmarks as good news, it looks like the Source engine will play pretty great on any next gen card. :)

they will be slower than the 6800 . But the 128 meg pros will be close enough to wonder why spend the extra 100$ :)

BTW-Devourer over at EB pointed out to me that they used dx9.0b and that the 6800 needs dx9.0c to enable some of the zippy new features, wouldn't that affect the 6800's numbers? :|

jvd said:
and then 1600x1200 it dropps another 20fps .

Most users though will be using 1280x1024 for lcds .

Add in the fact that for 100$ more you can get over 20fps more and the 6800non ultra just isn't that great of a deal.

The big problem here is the 128 MB of RAM and there are already 256 MB NU's out there. Though i would rather spend my money on a GT then because the price difference are pretty small.

Anyway, i'm interested to see if the supposed "30% faster" is true for Ati vs Nvidia, as Valve has stated. Doesn't seem to be the case for Counter Strike: Source but it's of course far from as shader heavy as Half Life 2 will be.

And another note, it's fun to read stuff like this:

As you can see, with no Anti-Aliasing or Anisotropic Filtering enabled, every card besides the GeForce 6800 standard does very well in Counter-Strike: Source.

56.4 FPS at 1600*1200 is not good ? Sure, it's lower then the other cards but come on. And though it's even worse with AF + AA, it still manages 41.82 FPS at 1280*1024, 4X FSAA, 8X AF. I wonder what they'll say when they'll benchmark the 9800 it's only playable at 1024*768, 4X FSAA, 8X AF or something like that.

Is it the 128MB of RAM on the 6800 affecting it or the relatively low speed of its 350Mhz memory ? Or both ?

Anyhow the 6800 gets 70fps at 1280x1024 and being CS I doubt people will be even using AA/AF.

It will be interesting in HL2 though between 9800XT 128/256MB RAM and the 6800. I wonder how close it will be ?

I still cannot figure out how the 6800 ( and even more the 6800LE ) fit in with the arrival of the 6600GT. True they have 256 bit bus and twice the vertex pipelines, but the fillrate is no better and they are more money.

I'm really looking foward to the r410v6600gtv6800v6800LE battle.

Were the "optimisations" used on 6800s?
The 6800GT/U are doing better than expected from my point of view. But well, HL2 will be more intensive and demanding :)

Back