Vista Upgrade to different partition?

Windfire

Regular
So, has anyone installed Vista Premium/Ultimate Upgrade edition against an XP Pro box resulting in a dual-boot instead of overlay?

Details of question:
Microsoft is really making things complicated. First, you have 4 primary editions of Vista (Home, Premium, Business, Ultimate). Next, you have 3 product types: Full Retail, Upgrade Retail and OEM.

I assume OEM is limited to a single machine install--but it is otherwise similar to Full.

I'm considering taking advantage of the Family discount issue (buy Ultimate, get up to 2 copies Premium for $50 each). Ideally I would like to get Ultimate Upgrade for $249 instead of $399 for full.

QUESTION: For upgrade version, everything I'm reading says you can not do a clean-install (ie: inserting XP cd to prove ownership). I have XP Pro now. I've also read from the limited deail articles that you must upgrade your OS. What precesisely does this ential? Can the upgrade version be used to install a dual-boot with the existing XP (on a separate partition)?

I absolutely do not want to install literally on top of XP as this would seem to be foolish to me unless XP was just freshly installed too (and even then, I would be disinclined to do this).

You forgot a couple versions... Vista Enterprise and Vista Aids.

From what I have seen, I hadn't seen the "Upgrade" versions leave the previous OS intact. It is an on-top-of install that clobbers your previous OS.

Oh, as for Vista Ultimate, have a look at the OEM version. NewEgg has it listed for a mere $199; however it seems to be only 1 version -- either 32bit or 64bit. Though I doubt the offer for $50 Premium applies.

just install your vista without key.... and then update the vista installation with your key.. (this is documented on the web widely and legal if you have a previous os).

that way you can install it where ever you want, completely clean.

just install your vista without key.... and then update the vista installation with your key.. (this is documented on the web widely and legal if you have a previous os).

that way you can install it where ever you want, completely clean.

Let me make sure I'm following you. I understand you have two opportunities to enter your key... At the start of install or later after the install is complete (within 30 days).

That makes sense... I would prefer to confirm this is where I want to apply my license after I confirm it works fine rather than up front.

HOWEVER, are you sure this approach works with the Upgrade versions? Entering the key later offers no benefit if it only allows you to install on top of an existing XP if your goal is to load onto a different partition.

Or are you stating to install from a full product CD and then use the key from the upgrade version?

P.S.: BRit, you are correct, the OEM version does not count towards the family plan--although $199 for the full version is probably the route I'll go if the upgrade edition doesn't allow a clean install on a second partition.

Let me make sure I'm following you. I understand you have two opportunities to enter your key... At the start of install or later after the install is complete (within 30 days).

The process is to install twice.
First time, you boot from Vista DVD, do a 30 days trial install without entering your licence key. Once the OS is installed, you start the DVD from inside the OS, and then you do the upgrade over your first Vista install. At this time, you enter the licence key.

The process is to install twice.
First time, you boot from Vista DVD, do a 30 days trial install without entering your licence key. Once the OS is installed, you start the DVD from inside the OS, and then you do the upgrade over your first Vista install. At this time, you enter the licence key.

Okay, thanks. Yes, I've seen detailed steps. I don't see how MS could prevent this. On the second install it is basically doing a repair of sorts and at that point it has no visibility that you didn't have XP on there.

This is stupid of MS. They would have been better off allowing for a clean install but having to insert an XP CD as proof of upgrade. Idiots.

All I want is a clean install... I've got multiple legite XP licenses so all I want is an upgrade to recognize the fact that I'm already an existing Windows user. It seems moronic to force users to an do unstable upgrades to XP for no purpose.

Back