Vista rant ---- MS must dump it...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by mito, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself
    Posted by Don Reisinger
    Windows Vista

While Vista was originally touted by Microsoft as the operating system savior we've all been waiting for, it has turned out to be one of the biggest blunders in technology. With a host of issues that are inexcusable and features that are taken from the Mac OS X and Linux playbook, Microsoft has once again lost sight of what we really want.

As we're more than aware, Vista Ultimate comes at a premium. For an additional $160 over the Premium SKU price, Ultimate gives you a complete backup and restore option, BitLocker Drive encryption, the ever so popular Windows Fax & Scan, and the "Ultimate Extras." But what started with a promise of "Extras" by summer, quickly turned into an apology from Microsoft and the eventual release of DreamScene and Windows Hold 'Em (among others) today. And while each of the "Extras" runs just fine, Microsoft's "Extras" blunder is just another reason why the company must abandon Vista before it's too late.

Originally posted at The Digital Home. Read the rest here:
    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

Mod Edit: Edited for Fair Use

2. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

3. _xxx_

Banned

Meh... (l)users are stupid and thus Vista will rule the market just as any prior or future crap from MS. Nothing new there.

4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Its funny, even before I read a single word of that rant, i knew the guy was going to be a Mac OS fanboy.

How unpredictable!

5. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Blunder? How so? It works, in fact it works very well. In even more fact, it's far more stable than XP was, especially at this particular point in it's life cycle.

Uh? What? Can he be any less specific and vague? What inexusable issues is he talking about? And why is he complaining about 'good' features that were inspired from MacOS and Linux? Hell, the entire idea of a "Windowed" operating system came from Xerox in the first place -- Apple is just as guilty as Microsoft in that regard.

Abandon an entire operating system because "extras" aren't in overwhelming supply? WTF reasoning is this?

That's funny, Microsoft was (still is, last I checked) making record profits from OS sales. Here's a hint: Microsoft's primary income from operating systems doesn't come from "off the shelf" sales. Can he guess where they do come from?

Again, maybe less vague? Here's something less vague: every passing day, it becomes more apparent that hardware vendors did not allocate ANY time to creating new drivers for Vista, even though they had several years of advance notice and at least a year of beta to test with.

Here's something even LESS vague: Can Leapord install even ONE QUARTER of the entire gammut of Windows Vista supported hardware? Video input and output devices, audio output and input devices, storage devices, printers and plotters, a HUGE range of digital scanners (like digital XRay machines?), multifunction printer/fax/scanner devices? How much true hardware compatibility does Mac really have over Vista? Does it even come halfway close? Howabout Linux?

Will Leapord eliminate being able to install OSX on every Mac in your house for free? Will Leapord make OSX install on your Max Classic? Will it invalidate the need to dual-boot a Windows OS on a Mac box because people want to use software still isn't available on the Mac platform after the last 15 years?

Wait, so he already knows what SP1 includes (and what it doesn't...)?

Oh noes, I can't copy every thing on the planet and make dupes. Oh wait, you can still copy DVD's just like you always could -- but you can't copy DRM-enabled content like HDDVD's and BluRay devices. Here's a question: how many of those can you even PLAY on a Mac? And then copy?

Same arguments when XP came out, same arguments when 95 came out. Every new OS paradigm shift comes with higher hardware requirements, new licensing schemes, and less than stellar availability of drivers. As for DRM -- this isn't Microsoft's wanton disregard for everything holy, this is a REQUIREMENT of being able to support DRM media (read: BluRay and HDDVD camps require these). None of that DRM stuff gets anywhere in your way if you're not playing DRM-enabled media.

Maybe when Mac can even hit 10% of the entire installed base of computers on this planet Microsoft might care. Wake me when it happens...

6. Davros

Legend

In britains largest pc retailer vista ultimate is wait for it : $754
    If only apple would realise their time as a hardware supplier is over i would seriously consider xp/osx dual boot system

"That's funny, Microsoft was (still is, last I checked) making record profits from OS sales. " yes but from less o/s sales in other words ms is charging too much

#6 Davros, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

If profits are up... how are they charging too much? Would you rather sell 10 million units for $10 profit each or 5 million for $50 profit each?

8. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

But thats for the stupidely overpriced retail version. You would have to be crazy to pay that much for it.

The OEM version can be reinstalled at least a couple of times and only costs £108. Thats still around $220 but the pound is extremely strong against the dollar at the moment so that sounds higher in the US than it does in the UK.

9. Davros

Legend

profits are up from less sales - thats how they are charging too much, theyre are allready the one of the richest companies in the world did they really need to increase their profit margin ?

10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Microsoft is business which is accountable to shareholders, not a non-profit organization. They expect profits to go up.

11. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

while you're at it why not ask Microsoft to give up their software thing and concentrate on keyb, mice, xbox and zune ;)

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Windows XP SP0 was really terrible and I considered it the Windows ME of the NT line. guess what I use now. I don't think I'll use Vista anytime though.. but perhaps windows server 2008 would be the fixed and light-weight version? :)

13. Kyyla

Veteran

I'm not going back to XP. This Vista-rant-bandwagon is getting really tiresome.

14. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

What I'd like to see is a "Vista-Lite" release for those of use who only want a game partition with DX10. (I'm linux, not XP otherwise)

15. Rainbow Man

Veteran

Agreed.

I'm not going back either and I certaonly didn't buy geforce 8800s to be stuck with fricken DX9 until the end of all time that's for sure.

Biut I do wish vsta was lighter on system resources. CPU useage and memory consumption.

It DOES run measurably slower than XP and there's not a thing directly noticeable by the user tomake up for it.

Peace.

16. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Pfft, I went back. I went running back!

Vista ain't ready for prime time yet, I'll check it out again after SP1.

17. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Running Vista 64 and never going back to XP.

18. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Once you go Black (Ultimate, that is) you'll never go back.

19. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

My only issue with vista is how everything runs a little bit slower on it for no real reason.

20. Zengar

Regular

I am going back to xp too... It is crasy that an OS with no open applications needs about 600Mb of RAM. Also, sudden major slowdows are very unpleasant.