Video killed...the football star?

wireframe

Veteran
Ok, so it's Thanksgiving and as we all know (well, 5% of the World...:p) this is a time to eat turkey and watch some quality football. That's right, I am talking NFL here and not the football the other 95% of the World enjoys. This is a wonderful piece of Americana and, as in all big sports events, you have someone sing the national anthem (Star Spangled Banner) before the game. This year it made me realize something. Nobody can sing anymore.

It's extremely important that the anthem is sung well because there are 70,000 people in the stadium with their hands over their hearts and, more importantly, millions of people watching it on TV while clutching a beer. It has become clear to me that all the so-called musicians these days cannot actually sing. They are studio freaks. They have no presence and once their image is stripped from them, humbled before the crowd to sing one of the great honors, they crumble.

Anyone gonna join me in blaming MTV for this? I am sure there are thousands upon thousands of people throughout the United States that can sing The Star Spangled Banner with perfect pitch, but you need recognizeable names and this is a marketing opportunity. So how can they let these people on there to shred the anthem with a voice that wouldn't be able to carry a pre-recorded voicebox message? It's embarrassing and it's not just these games today. It's been going on for a while. I am sure they would be booed, but the sacredness of the song prevents the crowd from doing so.

If you haven't noticed, I'm venting!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, but the topic title was weird. The US national anthem is hard to sing correctly anyway though.

Sxotty said:
You are right, but the topic title was weird.
Oh, that's supposed to be a reference to a song "Video killed the radio star" by the Buggles. Perhaps an obscure connection to how this is now cutting into all that is great about football, it being an All-American kinda thing.

The US national anthem is hard to sing correctly anyway though.
Sure is and that's why most people are not asked to sing it solo. It's not a very good excuse not to put a pro who can up there though. ;)

Surely the American anthem isn't all that difficult to sing? I expect you just need to make sure you start in the right key!

Anyway, surely poor singing would just add to the entertainment? :smile:

Back