Video games and violence

Legion

Regular
Within the Book of Matthew ther is chapther that reads something such as this:

"it is not what a mans seeth but what a man speaketh that corrupts him"

Do any of you feel that violent videogames corrupt people?

Or do corrupt people seek violent videogames?

Movies and TV would be my first guess.
Showing too much violence makes people think it's standard/the norm; while that's absolutely not the case.

Video Games are not that much realistic to make you feel it's true, all in all, it's just a video game, and don't have the same impact on people than a book, movie or TV stuff.

If you want to see this topic discussed you can head to www.gamedev.net, where it has been discussed over and over.
The result is that most people think video games are the least responsible for violence.

anyway you have pages too read @ gamedev ^^

It i s truly an interesting topic. however i tend to lean toward corrupt minded poeple leavning toward corrupt media.

I have written many an essay on this topic and wondered what the developers felt.

More liberal minded individuals tend to blame others for their problems rather than the individual at fault.

This includes blaming gun makers for gun crimes (ie chicago law suits) for criminal actions.

Gaming is a new common medium for most people under the age of thirty. What commonly is explored in the press is when a younger person commits a crime and they happen to play video games. What isn't really explored, or even properly explained, is that tens of millions of violent games are sold every year.

How many people under the age of 30 commit a violent crime? Along with the rise in popularity in video games has been the rise of the PC and the internet. Much as the media and 'experts' like to play on the fact that the rise in violence in society has been following the rise in popularity of gaming, you could also attempt to link the rise of people using the internet and getting upset over something someone said or another such foolish thing.

Ask 1000 males between the ages of 17-30 if they have played a violent game within the last few months and the majority, overwhelming more then likely, are going to say yes. Should it really come as a surprise that a violent criminal of that age group happens to have played games?

I think if you choose to, you can 'prove' the violence relation to video game factor pretty much any way you want. It is a mass entertainment medium at this point, one that the prior generations don't tend to take part in so they tend to attribute it to differences between generations. Frequently the older generation attempts to relate GenX and younger people as being better with computers due to their playing video games on a console, as if they have any relation whatsoever. Fifty years from now when gaming is commonplace amongst all generations this argument will be over. It is a generational gap issue far more then it is a societal one.

I say violent games, just like violent movies and books, can be a CATALYST for a possibility or an idea that's already there.

I play violent video games all the time though, and I have yet to get into a single real "fight" IRL. :p

Blade said:
Tag: You're a woman, though. Women aren't as prone to fights as men are!

You sure about that? :LOL:

Been to a public high school lately...?

Where I go to school, there have been five or so fights so far this year (at least, five or so KNOWN fights). Four of them were 'cat fights'.

Most girls get pissed off by the most unbelievably ridiculous things... but I think PMS helps. >.< I'm lucky, I don't usually get like that >.<

Perhaps it would be better to say women aren't as likely to pick up an automatic/semi-automatic weapon and go on a killing spree.... because as we all know, its not video game violence that drive men to do this... its women that drive men to do this. :p

Disclaimer: The above is intended only as humor and does not represent the actual opinions of myself or Beyond3d. Thank you, please drive through.

There was an article last year (sorry can't remember where i saw it) that said that violent games are good for teenagers as it helps to relax them and to relieve stress.

I have been playing violent games since doom when I was 11 years old and I have never thought of murdering anyone.

sas_simon said:
There was an article last year (sorry can't remember where i saw it) that said that violent games are good for teenagers as it helps to relax them and to relieve stress.

That's what I always say :p

Playing games where I kill mindlessly (read: Quake Arena) is beautiful stress relief. :)

Back