Valve announces VR-Only Half Life: Alyx. [2020]

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I just got to chapter 7 and I'm actually becoming a bit annoyed with the game. I find the combat to be really cumbersome. The enemies take a load of bullets (and headshots), it's tricky to navigate and manage all the controls. Reloading is hit or miss with grabbing a clip over your shoulder. And I still can't come to grips with throwing a weightless grenade in-game.

And man I am just not big on hacking minigames anymore and this game has loads of that. In full, irritating 3D often with awkward two-handed manipulation required. Sigh.

Another thing is the walking speed should be faster or adjustable. Teleporting is faster but I'd rather not need it because it takes a little setup and isn't particularly natural. At least I found the crouching toggle setting because I was not overly ok with actually having to bend my blind-in-a-helmet 6'6" self down to fit in game crawlspaces.

But I'm at 12 hours so it's a pretty long game if you take your time to look around. The scenery is fascinating and there's a lot of detail around.

Last edited:
To anyone who finished this game AND didn't get scared shirtless, be proud! You are amazing.

Me? Uh... Let's just say my dad and little brother just watched the most hilarious performance ever... Then finally I noped and just... Done... Took a bath to keep my sanity.

This thing is scarier than Rush of Blood! On par with Kitchen demo! (and exceed anything I've ever experienced in term of "presence")

To anyone who finished this game AND didn't get scared shirtless, be proud! You are amazing.

Me? Uh... Let's just say my dad and little brother just watched the most hilarious performance ever... Then finally I noped and just... Done... Took a bath to keep my sanity.

This thing is scarier than Rush of Blood! On par with Kitchen demo! (and exceed anything I've ever experienced in term of "presence")

Jeff was ... scary ... and so awesome. I'm happy alyx didn't do cheap scares, it was all very friendly scary.

Jeff is a bit like a segment from something from Frictional Games. I think this Half Life is essentially a survival horror game. Half Life's previous entry to this is Ravenholm segments I suppose.

I'm on a Rift CV1, and have really muffled voices... Mostly everything that comes from the headset (the virtual headset).
Does anyone else have this problem?
Everything else in the game sounds amazing, I am actually very impressed by the sound design, but Russel for example sounds so bad, that I'm thinking I need subtitles just to understand what he is saying...

Errrmmm, no? :D
I don't think that it works that way since the audio is binaural, and it really is exceptionally positional!
It is amazing how much it adds to the game!
It is just the voices that you hear from the headset Alyx has strapped on her head, that sound completely muffled!
It feels like those voices were recorded over the phone and then reprocessed to sound transmitted over the air...!
I'm actually thinking that I need to play the game again with subs just to catch up to everything story wise that I missed because I cannot understand what Russel is saying...

Last edited:
Errrmmm, no? :D
I don't think that it works that way since the audio is binaural, and it really is exceptionally positional!
It is amazing how much it adds to the game!
It is just the voices that you hear from the headset Alyx has strapped on her head, that sound completely muffled!
It feels like those voices were recorded over the phone and then reprocessed to sound transmitted over the air...!
I'm actually thinking that I need to play the game again with subs just to catch up to everything story wise that I missed because I cannot understand what Russel is saying...

oh you mean the deliberate "low-fi radio" audio effect. yeah, i wish games stop doing that. Even Destiny 2 thats super futuristic with space magic have that annoying filter

I'm reading that there isn't much difference between low and ultra settings in terms of detail. Is it true?

It's fairly true. The lack of difference between ultra and low is emphasized by use of dynamic resolution. Many people who crank it to ultra and think they get ultra but instead they get much lower resolution and blurry graphics due to insufficient gpu. It's possible to disable dynamic resolution but that can make the framerate dip and the experience becomes not so great.

So what's the difference between ultra and low? Maybe due to the relatively low resolution of vr headset screen, things like low quality shadow VS ultra quality shadow looks the same?

It's pretty typical for any pc game that difference between high and ultra is not very noticeable. I really liked half life alyx graphics. Only real complaint I have is that some textures were not up to par but that's about it. Any softness/blurryness got fixed after I lowered graphics settings and that made the game run in much higher resolution. Running lower settings in favor of higher res is the compromise to make in this game. And I have 1080ti which is not very slow even by todays standards. I suspect for those highest quality settings something like 2080ti is needed or graphics quality is fcked by dynamic resolution.

PC Gamer says:

Regardless, I found Alyx to look pretty decent across all presets. Maintaining a steady 90 frames per second is actually more important—at least in my opinion—than the graphics settings. I didn't notice a huge difference between "Low" and "Ultra" besides fewer wrinkles on a Vortigaunt, or a less vibrant flashlight beam, but there's a definite difference between a smooth and responsive 90Hz and a janky 90Hz with dropped frames. It's the difference between really "being there," and being all-too-aware that you're in a videogame.

Back