Value of 3D display in a handheld *spawn

Of course I'm not expecting stereo 3D to become a requirement in OSs in the next 2 years. Rather that no high end smartphone will ever be able to compete if it doesn't sport that feature (with lower-ends following that same trend in the following years).
Something like having a 3.5" screen today. No sub-$450 smartphone has a screen smaller than that, AFAIK.
If it becomes cheap enough then most smartphones will have it, no doubt, if only to fill the checkbox. I stronly doubt it will become a feature absolutely necessary to compete within the next few years, though. To me it seems more like the presence (or absence) of a physical keyboard - some people will require it, some won't.
Don't forget that using a parallax barrier comes with a power and resolution impact.

I suppose you meant "above $450".

Are there any AMOLED 3D screen phones ?

At 800x480 ?
Nope, not that I know of. It should be just a matter of time, though. Samsung is probably already working on it.

NTT Docomo shows off 3D display Android phone at MWC

Japanese NTT Docomo was demoing some of its rather unique phones at the Mobile World Congress and one of the more interesting devices that was on display was the Sharp Lynx 3D SH-03C which features a 3.8-inch 800x480 pixel glasses free 3D display. This Android handset is exclusive to NTT Docomo and was developed specifically for the operator by Sharp, one of many partners that develop unique phones for NTT Docomo.

Normally we'd say 3D screens are just gimmicky, but the one of the Lynx looked pretty decent, although sadly it was impossible to recreate the depth of view that the screen offered in our pictures of the handset. That said, this is one of the most promising 3D screen handsets we've seen to date and the two demos that were running clearly benefited to a degree from the 3D screen. It's unlikely that 3D displays will take off any time soon, as the displays still suffer from limited viewing angles and bright light doesn't seem to help with the 3D effect either.

86433129.png

Other features of the handset includes a 9.6Megapixel CCD camera that also records HD video, a “mobile wallet” or in other words an NFC sensor that allows for payments by touching your phone on a payment terminal, a one-seg TV-tuner (a solution unique to Japan) and interestingly enough even an infrared transmitter, something we thought was a dead technology by not as far as data transfers were concerned, but apparently not in Japan.

Sharp's SH-03 is now one of NTT Docomo's branded handsets. Camera seems to be pretty decent, too. And NFC+TVtuner+Infrared(->wtf?).

Gotta love the japanese people's taste for all-round swiss-knife handhelds :)

Back