Vader and Yoda in Soul Calibur 4

I don't really see why it's be a problem with fan-service, the name says it all. There are alot of fans, and this is a service by devs. A gift might be more appropriate but hey, it works.

Since the figures are unlockable as the Spartan in DOA4 i don't see any hindrance what so ever for them, it's just a fun bonus hehe. At least i ASSUME they have to be unlocked or my opinion is void.

I don't really see why it's be a problem with fan-service, the name says it all. There are alot of fans, and this is a service by devs. A gift might be more appropriate but hey, it works.

Since the figures are unlockable as the Spartan in DOA4 i don't see any hindrance what so ever for them, it's just a fun bonus hehe. At least i ASSUME they have to be unlocked or my opinion is void.
One problem is that many a time, the fan-service character--to be appropriately fan-servicey--is unbalanced and too strong simply to please the fans. (Or a combination of less time spent testing and tweaking, and the desire to make them "cool.") They're not in the arcade versions, so they don't get the same attention, and thereby end up commanding too much attention at home.

That's kinda why I'd like to see them (and more, if they choose) in a "fan-service mode," if you will. They can toss in whatever they'd like, play around with the regular characters and toss some extra "fun" and imaginative moves for them, too... and still have an "arcade perfect" mode as well, with no changes (outside of bug fixing), and no ability to random to overpowered-but-amusing characters.

The Soul Calibur storyline has become a total joke anyway, it's not like they can ruin it more. I'm more worried about the balance now that they stuck two new characters in there, one with a significantly smaller hitbox.

I, for one, would prefer Yoda instead of Vader.
Thinking about it, Yoda's jumpy fight is pretty much the only thing I remember from Episode II.
OTOH, Vader seems like your typical boring strong fighter.

Also, don't get the need to make them fight each other.
Masked Vader should easily destroy Yoda. Even Dooku, who barely won against young Vader, was almost kicking his ass. ;)

Masked Vader should easily destroy Yoda. Even Dooku, who barely won against young Vader, was almost kicking his ass. ;)

I don't mean to completely geek out on you here (though this is B3D :LOL:) but there's no way Vader was eloquent enough to defeat Yoda - unless you think Obi Wan could beat Yoda, too, since he beat Anakin/Vader.

Yoda = speed, agility, intelligence. Vader = strong, slow, brutal. God, I feel like I'm writing fan-fiction. A new personal low!

Of course, maybe we'll know the real truth this summer :cool:

That's kinda why I'd like to see them (and more, if they choose) in a "fan-service mode," if you will. They can toss in whatever they'd like, play around with the regular characters and toss some extra "fun" and imaginative moves for them, too... and still have an "arcade perfect" mode as well, with no changes (outside of bug fixing), and no ability to random to overpowered-but-amusing characters.

Are Vader and Yoda actually a part of the story mode? I would have thought they'd keep them for multiplayer duels ala the Sparan II in DOA4.

Are Vader and Yoda actually a part of the story mode? I would have thought they'd keep them for multiplayer duels ala the Sparan II in DOA4.
The CES trailer makes Vader and Yoda seem to be central to the story. It may just be that they're hamming up the cheesy voiceover even further - "Now, they may finally have met their match!" - but my impression is they'll be in the main arc, possibly even the bosses.

Wow, that's .... ridiculous. I thought the trailer was just cheese to get the fans excited. I guess we will see this summer as you say!

I don't mean to completely geek out on you here (though this is B3D :LOL:) but there's no way Vader was eloquent enough to defeat Yoda - unless you think Obi Wan could beat Yoda, too, since he beat Anakin/Vader.
[Shamelessly continuing geek talk...]
Everybody beat Anakin, a stupid kid who could neither suppress nor control the anger.
We are talking about Vader, from whom Obi Van ran away his tail between legs. :)
After all he has the blood with most Force thingy.

Still my favorite Jedi is Kyle Katarn.
How can one not like him, he even has the rhyme like old school superheros.

Of course, maybe we'll know the real truth this summer :cool:
I thought they were on different platforms.

I expect DLCs though. (definitely not cross platform online)

[Shamelessly continuing geek talk...]
Everybody beat Anakin, a stupid kid who could neither suppress nor control the anger.
We are talking about Vader, from whom Obi Van ran away his tail between legs. :)
After all he has the blood with most Force thingy.

Still my favorite Jedi is Kyle Katarn.
How can one not like him, he even has the rhyme like old school superheros.

I thought they were on different platforms.

I expect DLCs though. (definitely not cross platform online)

Considering all of Anakin's force cells or whatever, he never showed off very much in the way of powers. Didn't just about every other jedi have a more impressive display of power?

Considering all of Anakin's force cells or whatever, he never showed off very much in the way of powers. Didn't just about every other jedi have a more impressive display of power?

With high midi-chlorians count, I thought his ability to see into the future was impressive. But yeah he didn't come off as impressive in two triologies. He lost to Dooku in Ep2, got his ass kicked to Obi-wan in Ep3, failed to protect Death Star in Ep4, failed to capture Luke in Ep5, got his ass kicked by Luke in Ep6. In the expanded universe perhaps ?

With high midi-chlorians count, I thought his ability to see into the future was impressive. But yeah he didn't come off as impressive in two triologies. He lost to Dooku in Ep2, got his ass kicked to Obi-wan in Ep3, failed to protect Death Star in Ep4, failed to capture Luke in Ep5, got his ass kicked by Luke in Ep6. In the expanded universe perhaps ?

Well that's not really fair. Half of the time he was handicapped by being on the wrong side of the story so he HAD to lose, not to mention that fate had decided that he should be captured at just the right time for the Emperor to be killed, and the other half he was young, hurt, angry and confused.

:LOL:

Seriously, let's just hope that SC4 will be a good game again. If the game is good, I might also enjoy these 'figurines'. If not, then I guess maybe these 'figurines' help sell a crap game, leading ever more credence to the movie licence curse.

Japan's attempts at playing to the US market (remember the PSP Starwars Ed. and Wookie, and witness several other games developed much more with the US market in mind) are becoming ever more obvious, aren't they? At least, that's what I read from this.

Not really followed much of the clone wars then?

I'm sure they aren't. But it's the multiplayer duels that I'm talking about, since it gets the bulk of the play. I'm hoping they're split into multiple modes, similar to what SC3 did with the "creation" characters (and what they've done before when considering the powerful, unlockable weapons), and keep Vader/Yoda firmly embedded in the other, more "playful"
mode. (And they could feel free to add other wacky if they want.)

I just want them to retain the "arcade perfect" mode--or at least let the extra characters be excluded or non-randomable as desired--as I figure otherwise they may intrude annoyingly in regular matchups. (Gon from Tekken 3 comes to mind. And due to Yoda's size, it's a worrisome parallel.)

Some interesting gameplay elements from a GAF user who filled in a SC4 survey. Looks like some fairly dramatic changes for series veterans.

General Game Overview

Soulcalibur returns to propel the franchise into the next generation as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have finally allowed SC4 to flex its graphical muscles and show the legendary game in all its graphical brilliance. With a step into the future comes a new look along with new allies and enemies.

Take your Each iteration of the Soulcalibur franchise brings new and exciting developments, Soulcalibur 4 is no different. Shown in 720p HD graphics, new characters fight in an entirely new battle system to revolutionize the fighting game genre. Customize your favorite characters in the expanded character customization mode to look and perform as you desire.customized character or original favorites online for the first time in the franchise and challenge others for the top spot in this timeless franchise. Rounding out the robust offering of new modes, Tower of Caliaga challenges players to customize their characters to take on new quests and enemies of different capabilities.

Weapon-based fighting gameplay

Weapons based fighting game with each character wielding unique weapons that define their individual fighting style and combos

Pick-up-and-play accessibility

Easy to learn, hard to master. Soulcalibur IV allows for beginners to have fun immediately but provides the depth hard core fans demand.

Character customization

All new and enhanced character creation mode that allows the player to build their own custom fighters by choosing weapon style and costume types. Each item chosen now provides specific attributes to further the customization and add strategy in the battles.

Unique story

Based around 2 swords of power, the Soul Edge and the Soulcalibur, and set in the 16th century, Soulcalibur games have always delivered incredibly deep storylines for these true fans to explore.

Inclusion of guest characters

In Soulcalibur II, guest characters were available for the three platforms (Link for Gamecube, Spawn for Xbox and Heihachi Mishima for PS2). This time guest characters make another appearance.

New fighting game system

New features to the battle system, Active Matching Battle (AMB) introduces life points in the place of winning rounds. While Critical strikes allow players to pull off huge devastating finishing moves to round out new system offerings.

Multiple gameplay modes

Story Mode, Arcade mode, Tower of Caliaga, Training mode,

First time for the series, online multiplayer

Prove who the best in the world is. Take Soulcalibur characters online or create your own custom fighters to battle it out over the net.

New original characters

Not only will guest characters make a reappearance in Soulcalibur IV but there will be all new original characters introduced with their own unique look, style and story.

New environments

Destructible stages with all new visuals and backdrops.

Game Description Samples

Since the game is still in development the developer can steer the game in numerous directions. Below are three different directions the developer is considering.

Description 1 - Competition

Soulcalibur IV returns as the most competitive fighting game ever built. Choose from dozens of your favorite Soulcalibur IV fighters including all new guest characters or build your own perfect fighter with the character customization mode. Not only can you battle your friends in your own living room, for the first time ever in the franchise, take your best shot against gamers online and prove who is the ultimate Soulcalibur champion.

Description 2 - forgot to copy/paste . . .

Description 3 - Weapons

Soulcalibur IV is the preeminent weapons based fighting game. Weapons define fighting in Soulcalibur by creating unique combos, fighting styles and moves that are critical to the type of weapon the character is using. While other fighting games have incorporated weapon elements none have had weapons mean as much or be so critical to gameplay than Soulcalibur.

Changing and/or eliminating the round-system is quite substantial. Anyway, who knows how much will stay in for the final version. It's all very interesting though, and I'm genuinely excited for the game now - probably the most excited I've been for any 2008 game actually, seeing as I've put hundreds of hours into Soul Edge/Blade on PS1, Soul Calibur on DC, and SC2 on Xbox. I have faith they'll pull out a top notch game after the fairly disappointing SC3.

Well that's not really fair. Half of the time he was handicapped by being on the wrong side of the story so he HAD to lose, not to mention that fate had decided that he should be captured at just the right time for the Emperor to be killed, and the other half he was young, hurt, angry and confused.

Well, he still could have done something a bit more in EP3 or EP2 IMO. After he turned to the dark side, he picked on little kids, which show his state of mind but doesn't really show his prowess, and after that he got his ass kicked by Obi-wan. We know that has to happen but I still think they could have put up a few more action scenes. Just by going with the two trilogies he does come across a bit weak.

archangelmorph said:
Not really followed much of the clone wars then?

Well I did said from the trilogies and not the expanded universe, which Clone Wars would be under.

I have faith they'll pull out a top notch game after the fairly disappointing SC3.
This still confuses me... What was really disappointing about SC3, other than that they only decided to bring it out on one platform? (I assume so that they'd start working on a multiplatform SC4 immediately after, and have more time to judge people's opinions of character creation on SC3 and how/if they should spend the time and resources on it in SC4.)

The character creation, classing, and levelling was fun but unbalanced, but there's a reason it had it's own multiplayer mode if people didn't want. (Similarly, the arcade game had some "non-standard" play modes, too.) But other than an abusable bug or two on the PS2 game (which you are certainly under no obligation to abuse), the game was visually better, played better, and had some interesting new characters.

Now I find it lacking for one main reason only... the exclusion of Team Battle (probably a memory space or loading-time concession due to other increases and inclusions). But I'm one of the very few people who thinks 8-player random team battles should be the ONLY way to play Soul Calibur. ;)

I suppose the variable cancel exploit could fuck up the tournament scene, though. (Another equally low percentage of the overall players; also able to be adjudicated by the tournament organizers.)

Erm, if you're thinking Neutronium, I think short of being Superman noone could even lift swords made out of it, let alone use them in fight.
I think he's referring to cortosis. Overloads a lightsaber and causes it to shut down when it comes into contact with the ore (in the books, anyway). In other media, they lace armor with it, and it's able to block a lightsaber. And there were those funky energy weapons in Episode III that Grievous's guards used, they were able to block lightsabers.

When I read the thread title, I thought this must be a joke. But it's awesome now that it's actually true. But it is upsetting that I won't be able to play both characters without buying the game twice. Although I own both consoles, that's not something I'm going to do. Hopefully, the "other" character will be available as DLC for each console. Even as a paid add-on, I'd buy Yoda in a heartbeat for the PS3 version.

Hrmm an edited version of the announcement trailer has hit Live. Darth Vader has been silently cut from footage for obvious reasons, which is a bit of a shame.

Back