util to examine exe for required DDraw, D3D caps?

euan

Newcomer
Hi, I have an old exe that I want to get running. It uses DirectX 3 or 5. It seems to require some sort of DirectX feature that my current hardware doesn't support. (gives generic DX not supported error)

Is there a utility that can take it apart and pick out the directx requirements?

I guess you could use DXSpy from the SDK to see what calls it is using, but chances are it's just checking the caps and exiting without making any calls that could give you a hint.

so much for the email notification... I think I'll need to check my settings... :)

I'll check the scanner, but I'm sure it will say ddraw.dll

I worry that it's looking for some obscure texture format like 8-bit palette or something. I'm sure I tried dxspy in the past. It seemed to only work with apps that use d3d8.dll or d3d9.dll I'll look at it again though,

The game is anicient. It uses ddraw for the buffers, but calls a propriatory 3d library for the 3d rendering (kinda like Glide). I want to write a new library that uses d3d. I wrote a dummy dll, but the app crashes before doing anything with it. dll just inits, then app exits.

I've looked up my notes and the error is "unsuported ddraw function" the error pops up in the msvc debut output window, so it must be using the system debug output functions even though it's a producton build. Which is lucky for me I guess!

I posted a while back asking if its possible to set the default renderer to the reference rasteriser, and then systematically turn of caps till I find what is missing. Never got a reply about that one.

As it's my long time pet project exe name is withheld as some smart ass will come along and do it for me. That would be upsetting. 8)

edit:
i don't know if this could be relevant

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/ddraw7/directdraw7/ddref_3h6f.asp

could I hack the exe to make it set DirectDrawCreateEx() DDCREATE_EMULATIONONLY

I'll do a search for the definition. I hope it's something searchable like 0x9239FABF within the binary exe...

I've also looked at hooking the ddraw library. Perhaps this would be the ideal place to put a hook... But I never did it because I've got no idea where to start, and didn't find a ddraw one. I started one but it was very laborious.

Back