USING ANOTHER BROADBAND CONNECTION

So I take it, it won't just be a case of plugging his broadband connection straight into my pc then???

What is it that you want to do? If you want to access the internet temporarily, yes, just plug it on your computer (make sure you have a firewall running first!) and his computer won't be affected. If you want to semi-permanently share the connection, you need to follow the advice we gave you in this thread.

If you need step-by-step help, we need to now the details...

I haven't connected a PC to a PC in a while (for a Broadband connection)...but don't you need a Crossover cable?

MPI said:
On average, NAT gives better protection than any firewall.

Let's just say I strongly disagree on that one. And then I assume that by "any" firewall you mean any software f/w.

NAT gives some security, marginal, but some.

So tell me, how is someone to get inside, when there is no server mapped to a port? And how would a trojan map a port on a router by itself?

Really, when you have NAT, as long as you have no servers or port forwarding defined and no redundant networking services on the router enabled, what more can a firewall do? And if you do enable some of those, a firewall on the router is much better at keeping the stuff out of the LAN than software firewalls on the PC's.

DiGuru said:
Did you ever check the log of a router, say two hours after the connection went live? What do you see?

Well, I can take my linux box's shorewall logs, since I don't have a router. 99.99% is inept script-kiddie shit, mostly simple FTP password stabs and various IIS attacks.

Only once I've had to clean up a computer that had been comprimised from the outside, and that was 6-7 years ago on a Win98 box without a firewall. However, I have cleaned out plenty that was compromised by trojans(which a NAT router does squat-all about).

Well, in that case you need Firefox or Opera and a virusscanner, not a firewall. Duh. And if you want to run a webserver, don't use a Windows PC for that. Duh.

And if you run a Linux box in the first place, you can just map everything tightly and be done with it. Turn off whatever you don't need or use, and make sure everything else is handled correctly. A firewall would be redundant in that case.

Well, yes, all security takes work. If you want to avoid all of that, just turn it all off.

Umm... no thank you, I just think I'll go with my software firewalls, they're adequate and convenient.

For keeping all the trojans that are already inside the LAN from contacting the world outside? Otherwise, I don't see the point. And keeping them out in the first place sounds like a better idea to me.

I don't understand what the problem with a physical firewall? I say have a software and a physical firewall, although If I had to choose between the two..I would choose a physical one since it doesn't take up my computers resources and mix it with a good less bloated Antivirus program (bloated=Mcafee and Norton) then you should be good. Software firewall also to me seem more vulnerable than physical ones....with the right code and user error you software firewall can be rendered useless rather easily.

So in the end....both have their strong points but all I need is Spybot, Lavasoft Adware, EZ Antivirus and my Routers Firewall (With NAT) and i'm good, any software firewall is just a another layer to the onion that is the security around my PC....

So basically why I asked said question was because.....

If I buy HL2 game. I install it on my PC.

But I need Steam and game authentication and only have dial up, therefore this process will take a whole lifetime.

Therefore I want to use mates broadband connection for authentication purposes.

So can I turn up at his digs, plug his broadband connection into my pc and hey presto?????

micky said:
So can I turn up at his digs, plug his broadband connection into my pc and hey presto?????

If you have a network connection: yes. If it doesn't work immediately, you have to change some settings. And your friend won't be able to use the connect as long as your pc is connected to it.

Back